The MT-07 Forum

First Wreck...:(

arfz07

well I got into my first wreck... you know what they say, its not if you wreck but when and how bad. forgive me if I ramble.. im under the influence of some pain killers. so me and my girlfriend leave a friends house after visiting for about an hour or so (no alcohol or drugs involved) and they live a residential area. The street  they live on has about a 90 degree curve and then about 15 feet there is a stop sign to a major road of the neighbor hood. so we pull out of their drive way and im in second gear doing about 30-35 mph, on my right are several cars pulled up to the curb because someone is having a house party which narrows the road to one lane for your average car. im in the middle of the 90 degree curve when out of nowhere a car take a left off the major road and they are headed straight towards us, I jerk the bike out of the curve to not be hit head on by them and in a panic lock up the back brake and the bike starts to slide out from under us. I let off the back break and grab the front, which yanks the bike upright again... so I saved us from the slide but we are headed straight into someones yard. we jump the curb at an unknown rate of speed and we are flying for a moment but the bike bucked us both into the air above the bike... we all come crashing down... I feel the gf helmet smash into mine and her body rolls over the top of me. we hit the ground and slide into the driveway. my gf was all I was really concerned about at the time and I can see her sitting in the driveway about 5 feet in front of me and we both jump up at the same time. we check on eachother... I have ripped my shirts sleeve almost off and have significant road rash from the drive way on my left shoulder and she has a small amount of road rash on her left shoulder.... she Is alright... no broken bones! I am an emt and have to run through my full assessment on her but other than a lil rib pain and the shoulder she is fine.thank god! so next assessment is for the bike! picked it up and my blinker broke off and ive bent the shifter (left foot) up under the kick stand... everything else is covered in dirt and grass so cant really see it. I manage to pop the gear shifter back into first gear and pull in the clutch.... pull the start and this beast of a motorcycle starts right up... and I just cruise nice and easy 6 houses down to the friends house... they were both outside because the heard the tire screech. I knock all the dirt off the bike and I cant believe it but those $70 oes frame sliders saved my bike entirely! just a couple of minor scratches. borrow my friends tools and with his help bend the shifter back where I can get my foot under it. Start the bike up again and rode the tough sob all the way home (about 20 mins)! big props to Yamaha on making this bike tough as hell and to oes for the frame sliders that work exactly as advertised!!! Really glad me and gf walked away but still astonished how this bike handled that! if you are on the fence about the frame sliders.. GET THEM! they will save you a ton of money!

Guest MXRider

Glad you guys are alright short of some minor bumps and bruises. Please use this as a learning experience, the back brake is not there to stop you, it's to help you control the bike. The front is what stops you in a panic the most effectively.

• Global Moderator

Sorry to hear about the wreck. I am happy that you and your gf got away relatively unscathed. It is also good to hear how tough the bake is, but of course that is secondary to you guys being okay. Thanks for the report. I put frame sliders on my bike before I rode it. It is good to know they are worthwhile.

• Global Moderator

Damn, that sucks. Always scary when something like this happens. I'm glad your okay.

I'm still lost, so was it the cars fault or yours? It seems as if in the description that you just rode off? Shouldnt y'all like swap info and stuff and have him pay for physical damages and bike repair?

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

oh yea lesson learned about back brakes! and we both had on helmets and I was wearing gloves! ill upload pictures soon. helmets and the bike

I'm so happy to hear that you are both ok.

I'm happy to hear that the trusty frame sliders did their job.

And yes, no brake when you are turning or maneuvering around something. But that is easier to say than do. Front brakes cause the bike to stand up straight and not turn, back brake can cause you to slide out sideways and highside.

Is your GF still gonna ride with you in the future?

they didn't stop
That kind of stuff really pisses me off. Jerks like that don't deserve to live or at least drive a couple ton killing machine.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Premium Member
they didn't stop
That kind of stuff really pisses me off. Jerks like that don't deserve to live
Well that escalated quickly.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Please learn, the back brake is not there to stop you, the front stops you. 
Good advice here from MXR. He may have added that you must nut be turning in order to stop hard.You describe the your shirt was torn, as was your skin. If you are not being prophylactic with the largest organ on your body extreme caution is necessary. I ride with and without armor. It is different. In town I want to be able to stop before hazards arrive, (unprotected). On interstate I wear the full Tour Rider suit and take my chances. Another factor is that with a passenger your ability to take evasive is limited. My first wreck was in 1970, tailgating in the rain, city street, suddenly the car ahead slowed to turn right, oncoming traffic limited options, bounced off the left rear fender and was lucky not to be crushed under the wheels of the oncoming car. My XS-650 wore a scar (creased tank) and I limped for a while. It was ten years until I rode again. Wrecks 2,3,4,5, & 6 were also my fault (avoidable). Rubber side down since 1992!Shet always happens because of ass-holes. Quite often it is your own.Wrecked: XS-650, R100RT, R65LS, FZ-600, SR500, 900SS

First of all glad you and your girl are ok. Also I have to say it... get some damn gear! Keep you and your girlfriend looking pretty as long as you can.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Glad you are both all right! Where was your dainese SP-R jacket when you really needed it?
I was on the fence about the sliders; maybe I'll get some after hearing about your experience.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of carp for this but I didn't wear my jacket because it was too hot.... sigh and lesson learne
I wear my jacket everyday in 110 Texas heat. Glad everyone is okay though, definitely cant let my GF read this post she probably wont ever ride with me again. I put on a set of OES frame sliders as well, how did they hold up, post a pic of em.

Guest MXRider
I know I'm gonna catch a lot of carp for this but I didn't wear my jacket because it was too hot.... sigh and lesson learne
At least you lucked out with a fairly low speed get off. Crashes are a part of riding, period. They are learning tools for everyone from the most green noob to the seasoned vet who has done it all. The key is to apply what you now know to your skill set and develop further as a rider.

Glad you are ok! Always puts a reality check on the situation when you read something like this. My wife goes out with me at least once a week, but as some people have stated...wear your gear please! She complains but we are always in gear and it  gets up to 110 here. It's like insurance...you never appreciate it until you need it!  Hopefully this was a learning experience, and most importantly I am glad you two are ok! 

Glad you guys are okay, and everyone has given great advice. As a rider who has also had an accident, I second the gear option, I also ride with Ironworker jeans on, as they have Kevlar in the legs and but, plus pads for the knees

Sorry to hear about the accident. But happy that you and your girlfriend are ok. I guess this a lesson to learn from and is a testament to the necessity of gear. Glad to hear the bike held up well. Ride safe!!

I know what you mean, with the Alabama heat and humidity it's always tempting to go without my jacket. It's especially tempting if I'm only going a short distance. I haven't let myself do it though, no matter what, I put the jacket and gloves on. The worst is if I go to the gym on the bike, I'm hot and sweaty and putting that jacket on is torture at first.  
Your story will motivate me to never get lazy with my gear though, thanks for sharing and glad you're safe.

-Ryan

p.s. Have you caught any carp yet? Can you fit a fishing pole on the bike? :)

Glad you guys are safe. I always wear my jacket even in this NM heat. With my mesh jacket it only gets hot if I'm at stop light for too long.

Archived