The MT-07 Forum

Chain advice Please!

dony

• Premium Member

This morning I decided to remove the front sproket cover to clean the build up from lubing the chain all season. Last year I also did this and there was a lot there. This time was no exception it was thick and almost exactly like thick tar. I assume they put some type of glue in the lube(Motul chain lube) to keep it from flinging off. to my dismay I also found 5 or 6 orings stuck in this goop. They must have been sucked out of the chain. The chain looks like new and performs well  but my question is, will it be ok run it with orings missing? I also assume it will shorten the life of the chain? I lube it often and don't ride in the rain. Advice would be appreciated.

How many miles?

Chain is toast. It will kink (can't believe it hasn't already), and get fine rust dust on it from the inside of the links.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
How many miles? 
Chain is toast. It will kink (can't believe it hasn't already), and get fine rust dust on it from the inside of the links.
 The chain has 16000km or 10000 miles on it. I am going to try to keep it well lubed and get the rest of the season out of it. I am in Canada so we don't have too much time left until winter. Any suggestions on replacement? I assume I will need sprockets as well? 

How many miles? 
 The chain has 16000km or 10000 miles on it. I am going to try to keep it well lubed and get the rest of the season out of it. I am in Canada so we don't have too much time left until winter. Any suggestions on replacement? I assume I will need sprockets as well? 

Yep I'm with you but keep eye on it, would replace with a DID X ring and sprocket kit 
I have fitted miles of chain and never found better.

10k miles is low. I'd get 20k+ miles on a CBR1100XX I used to have.

+2 on DID X-ring.

I used to do the front sprocket every time and the rear every other chain. Been a while since a chain drive bike.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

Yep I'm with you but keep eye on it, would replace with a DID X ring and sprocket kit 
I have fitted miles of chain and never found better.

Any suggestion on sprocket size? should I keep it stock ? I don't really want to sacrifice torque or fuel efficiency. 

• Premium Member

Stock gearing is fine, but it's totally up to you.

The front sprocket has a rubber damper on both sides. If you buy an ultralight or aftermarket sprocket that is not OEM it will be all steel (or aluminum). As a result you'll feel a little more of the vibrations.

It doesn't bother me, but it may deter others... so just an FYI.

Everything went braap.

Archived