The MT-07 Forum

Handling/Steering issue...HELP!

chickenchickendinner

chickenchickendinner

Hi all,
This morning I took my bike for a ride and everything went smooth as usual. As I got to work, I parked it and left it in neutral and put the keys in the lock position....then when I was about to head out to lunch right away pulling out of my parking spot my bike steering felt different, as if it was hard to maneuver (make changes). It felt even worse when I tried shifting lanes or even making a right/left turn. Bike acts as if it doesn't want to go right/left and it's scary when going at high speeds and you're trying to change lanes because at times the bike started to wobble. I kept riding for a few minutes until I arrived at my destination. To make things even strange, it was hard for me to roll in reverse. Normally its easy because it's in neutral and I just push with my feet to go in reverse but this time I had to get off the bike and really use force to go in reverse. What could possible be the issue? I tried turning off the bike and putting it in lock and then undoing it several times and nothing works. Any help please?
bike has 4100 mikes and its a 2016.

• Premium Member

I'm guessing you have a wheel out of alignment. Or a caliper is hanging up.

Things to check
Check your chain tension and alignment for your rear tire. tight or loose chain can be a problem and cause damage.
Spin your front and rear tire. Do they spin freely?
Is your brake lever adjusted properly?
Does the front tire appear to be straight?
Take off your front sprocket cover inspect it for damage and debris.

Just a few ideas

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

You also may want to inspect the tightness of your steering lock. I don't know if it's possible for it to cause this issue, but someone may have messed with it while you were away. More than likely it's one of the previously mentioned options.

chickenchickendinner
Things to check
Check your chain tension and alignment for your rear tire. tight or loose chain can be a problem and cause damage.

Just a few ideas
Thanks for the options. Just wondering why it would all of sudden act up tho? it was working perfectly fine this morning and then turn it on during lunch and all of sudden things just happened. SO CONFUSING.  

chickenchickendinner
You also may want to inspect the tightness of your steering lock. I don't know if it's possible for it to cause this issue, but someone may have messed with it while you were away. More than likely it's one of the previously mentioned options.
hhmm tightness of your steering lock?  how do you check it/adjust it? 

hhmm tightness of your steering lock?  how do you check it/adjust it?

I'm saying to check and see if it feels especially loose. When thieves steal bikes they smack the bars back and forth to break the lock. If this was attempted unsuccessfully it may have damaged the lock but not broken it. Just a theory. I certainly don't think it could account for not being able to go in reverse.

• Premium Member
Things to check

Just a few ideas
Thanks for the options. Just wondering why it would all of sudden act up tho? it was working perfectly fine this morning and then turn it on during lunch and all of sudden things just happened. SO CONFUSING.
if the wheel nut came loose or you hit a pot hole. Some one might have hit it dropped it the possibilities are endless. take it to the dealer its under warranty right ? But you might get a charge if its not a warranty issue.  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

+1 Any sign that someone may have hit your bike with their car while your bike was parked?

chickenchickendinner
if the wheel nut came loose or you hit a pot hole. Some one might have hit it dropped it the possibilities are endless. take it to the dealer its under warranty right ? But you might get a charge if its not a warranty issue.
haha I voided the warranty as soon as I bought it. Got all lighting changed and powdercoated several parts. Going to see if I can post a pic later. 

chickenchickendinner
+1 Any sign that someone may have hit your bike with their car while your bike was parked?
no signs of the bike being hit or dropped.  

Guest ChicagoAJ

Nothing actually voids the warranty unless the dealer can prove, without a doubt, that the modification caused the damage. I have my ECU flashed and a full exhaust. I took my bike to the dealer because it was leaking oil out of the weep hole by the brake pedal, they covered everything.

chickenchickendinner

I might just have found the issue to my bike. Just went outside and it looks like a have a flat tire, rear. Going to try and get it towed. Flat tire would cause wobbly issues in the front.

Now what you should add to your list of daily checks before riding is tire pressure. You can just use your feet. You will get accustomed to normal.

My FZ never has air issues, but one of my other bikes needs air every 1-3 months, I can pretty much feel when it is off by 6+ psi when I press my feet against the front tire.  I break out the pressure gauge and sure enough its down more than 6 psi.

And a flat tire is extremely obvious when you press down on it. So yeah, maybe start getting into the habit of feeling the tires before riding.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

chickenchickendinner
Now what you should add to your list of daily checks before riding is tire pressure. You can just use your feet. You will get accustomed to normal. 
My FZ never has air issues, but one of my other bikes needs air every 1-3 months, I can pretty much feel when it is off by 6+ psi when I press my feet against the front tire.  I break out the pressure gauge and sure enough its down more than 6 psi.

And a flat tire is extremely obvious when you press down on it. So yeah, maybe start getting into the habit of feeling the tires before riding.
I always check my tires and tires did have pressure. Could be that more air got out as i was riding...two hours before i was about to leave work i decided to go check the bike again and right away i noticed a complete flat tire. very strange. Going to fix it myself and then get it balanced. Hopefully issues are solved, if not, then i'll take it to the shop. 

ps. i got quoted 250 for the stock rear tire..isn't that too high for one tire?? they're stock bridgestone sport turing.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I always check my tires and tires did have pressure. Could be that more air got out as i was riding...two hours before i was about to leave work i decided to go check the bike again and right away i noticed a complete flat tire. very strange. Going to fix it myself and then get it balanced. Hopefully issues are solved, if not, then i'll take it to the shop.  
ps. i got quoted 250 for the stock rear tire..isn't that too high for one tire?? they're stock bridgestone sport turing.
You can get a different rear on eBay for around $120 and a set of tires for around $160. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a rear though unless you need the matching tire as the front and this shop is your only choice.  
Check here:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/smithfamilypowersports2009 

Here's a set of pretty decent tires for under $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-NEW-TIRE-SET-120-70ZR17-180-55ZR17-MOTORCYCLE-TIRES-CBR-GSXR-YFZ-R6-/150918632769?hash=item2323739541:g:YmAAAOxy4fBTj0Dz

Here's a set of the tires your bike came with stock for $204:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BRIDGESTONE-BATTLAX-BT023-Tire-set-120-70ZR17-180-55ZR17-120-70-17-180-55-17-/182171069234?hash=item2a6a3deb32:g:d7AAAOSw-KFXcs-1&vxp=mtr

You can get a different rear on eBay for around $120 and a set of tires for around $160. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a rear though unless you need the matching tire as the front and this shop is your only choice.  
Check here:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/smithfamilypowersports2009 

Here's a set of pretty decent tires for under $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-NEW-TIRE-SET-120-70ZR17-180-55ZR17-MOTORCYCLE-TIRES-CBR-GSXR-YFZ-R6-/150918632769?hash=item2323739541:g:YmAAAOxy4fBTj0Dz

Here's a set of the tires your bike came with stock for $204:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BRIDGESTONE-BATTLAX-BT023-Tire-set-120-70ZR17-180-55ZR17-120-70-17-180-55-17-/182171069234?hash=item2a6a3deb32:g:d7AAAOSw-KFXcs-1&vxp=mtr
Yep, that is the buyer to watch... For several reasons... Hehehe

Safe riding!

booboobusfz07

Bridgestone is doing a 50$ rebate on a few tire when bought in a set. S21 and t30 would both be great tires for our bikes.
I'm probably going to get the s21. Cyclegear has em 210$ a set. Throw in install ando the gift card am probably 230$ otd

you can't visually examine a MC tire and know it's up to pressure since the sidewalls are pretty stiff. Check your tire and you should see evidence of a screw or nail. Or someone decided to remove your valve stem and then put it back. Piss off any coworkers?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
you can't visually examine a MC tire and know it's up to pressure since the sidewalls are pretty stiff. Check your tire and you should see evidence of a screw or nail. Or someone decided to remove your valve stem and then put it back. Piss off any coworkers?
By just stepping on it with your boot it'll tell you if it's got no pressure in it. 

Archived