The MT-07 Forum

Supersport to Sport

John

Hello fellow Riders,

Writing on an iPhone so excuse the grammer and spelling. My name is John. I been riding since 2005 and started out on a Kawi 250 to get my license through DMV. After 4-6 months, upgraded to a 2005 R6 (best year). My last bike was GSXR 750 which I sold last month. Now I'm on the fence for a, you guess it, FZ07. However I prefer to buy used. I don't believe in buying new bikes or cars for that matter even though I have the income to. I like to consider it buying new used. The rest about me will be revealed as time goes on and if I do end getting the FZ07. I want something low cost, enjoyable to ride around the city, nimble, naked, and more of an upright riding style. So the FZ07 is on top of my list.

Greatness

Hey John,

Welcome, I was on the fence for a while about which bike I wanted until I walked into the dealership to look at an R6 and saw the FZ sitting out front. I couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately forgot about the R6 and wanted to know everything about the FZ. After hearing the price and going home to do a bit of research I bought the bike. Haven't regretted it one bit! I am coming from a ZX-9 and a Honda Shadow and this is by far my favorite bike so far. The looks and attention you get are INSANE! No one knows what it is but everyone is curious. I hope you become one of us bud!

Josh

• Global Moderator

We have already had a forum member sell his bike, is there has been at least one used one available (although very briefly...it sold fast). I expect that you will not see many used ones for a while though. I have no plans on selling mine any time soon. It is too much fun.

Welcome to the forum and please post any questions. We have lots of guys here with good info and interesting opinions.

Hey John, 
Welcome, I was on the fence for a while about which bike I wanted until I walked into the dealership to look at an R6 and saw the FZ sitting out front. I couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately forgot about the R6 and wanted to know everything about the FZ. After hearing the price and going home to do a bit of research I bought the bike. Haven't regretted it one bit! I am coming from a ZX-9 and a Honda Shadow and this is by far my favorite bike so far. The looks and attention you get are INSANE! No one knows what it is but everyone is curious. I hope you become one of us bud!

Josh
Nice to hear you enjoy your bike. I'm still a little skiptical about the performance of this bike and wonder if I will enjoy it like I did coming from my GSXR 750. I didn't think I would sell my bike, just thought I would get another one. It actually came to me very quick. One day I just felt like another bike, a week later after posting my GSXR for sell it was gone. Happen so quick I didn't realize that I had sold it. 

We have already had a forum member sell his bike, is there has been at least one used one available (although very briefly...it sold fast). I expect that you will not see many used ones for a while though. I have no plans on selling mine any time soon. It is too much fun.  
Welcome to the forum and please post any questions. We have lots of guys here with good info and interesting opinions.
I understand that there won't be any available for awhile. That is ok with me because I have the paitence to wait. I been riding for awhile now and will continue to ride so there is no rush. By next summer I should have another bike.  
Thank you for the welcome. 

Greatness

For getting around town, and the seating position the FZ07 is a perfect bike, I use mine to run errands all the time. It has enough performance to be usable as a "do all" bike. It is great in urban or suburban areas, fun on the twisties, especially due to the torque, and some have used it as a pseudo touring bike

• Global Moderator

Hi John, welcome at FZ07.org. Glad you could join.

Buying used or new is always a tricky one. I usually buy used, but sometimes It treat myself to something brand spanking new. Even if it doesn't make economical sense. And I couldn't go wrong with the FZ-07 because it is a bargain no matter what you pay. The added bonus is that I have more colours to choose from
I can break it in myself. And although the 'new' feel is something that wears of quickly it is a thrill to start on a virgin bike. Then there is the warranty, new tires, chains, sprockets etc.. There is something to be said for buying a bike out of the box.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome John! I think two people have sold their FZ07s. (One went to the dark side of the CanAm Spyder) ::) So it is possible to get one; you'll have to act fast though, they move.

Illegitimi non carborundum

For getting around town, and the seating position the FZ07 is a perfect bike, I use mine to run errands all the time. It has enough performance to be usable as a "do all" bike. It is great in urban or suburban areas, fun on the twisties, especially due to the torque, and some have used it as a pseudo touring bike
I hope this is true because that is what I would mostly use it for, riding around town and some mountain roads. It would also be more enjoyable for Her with a more upright position when being hiked.  

Hi John, welcome at FZ07.org. Glad you could join. 
Buying used or new is always a tricky one. I usually buy used, but sometimes It treat myself to something brand spanking new. Even if it doesn't make economical sense. And I couldn't go wrong with the FZ-07 because it is a bargain no matter what you pay. The added bonus is that I have more colours to choose from
I can break it in myself. And although the 'new' feel is something that wears of quickly it is a thrill to start on a virgin bike. Then there is the warranty, new tires, chains, sprockets etc.. There is something to be said for buying a bike out of the box.
I thought about that and I'll keep it in mind. There's just somethings I tend to be more frugal on. 

Welcome John! I think two people have sold their FZ07s. (One went to the dark side of the CanAm Spyder) ::) So it is possible to get one; you'll have to act fast though, they move.
I see that. I saw someone sold one with only 32 miles for $6400, that was a great deal. So good I would of got it even though it wasn't my color scheme of choice, prefer the graphite with blue accents. I live in Cen Cal so I'll keep an eye out for a used FZ07, probably not anytime soon.

Greatness

John, I had a cruiser before this, would NEVER run an errand with that bike. I ride the FZ07 to just go to the store, and never worry about the traffic, the bike does great in traffic and if you watch some of the videos on the site we have a couple members already on the twisties out in SoCal

• 1 year later...
FWOHXAG.jpg

Here it is years after my first post. Better late than never as I see it. 2016 w/M4 slip on. Now to tastefully throw some money at it :)

Greatness

• Global Moderator
FWOHXAG.jpg 
Here it is years after my first post. Better late than never as I see it. 2016 w/M4 slip on. Now to tastefully throw some money at it :)
Gratz dude

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Wow. Almost 2 years later. Congrats!
Let us know how you like it

Haha, I was reading this thread like it was posted recently! Hahaha
looks like you made the right choice!

I've owned 6 bikes before this and been riding about 13yrs. Most of them were supersports/superbikes. I did a lot of track riding, mountain riding,commuting on those bikes.

This bike seems to do it all pretty well! It's definitely a fun bike. I love it!

Good for you, John! The day you bought it you had to be the happiest FZ-07 member of all, especially since you got it new/used/with warranty, nice sounding pipe and bypassed the extra expenses of a new/new bike and paid closer to it's actual value. So how much and how many miles on it when purchased? 

Beemer

Thanks everyone. It's definitely a different feel and I can actually enjoy my ride without breaking the speed limit, most of the time. In the past 2 years I been riding different style of bikes here and there thanks to a friend of mine who buys and sells bikes. However, I'm still getting used to this FZ07. I've already hit the rev limiter a few times thinking I'm on a supersport, the digital tach doesn't help either. Took it to the hills the first day to get a feel for the bike and today (2nd day) took it to the hills again on a more "experience" route to scrub in my tires. Let just say I took off my peg feelers after the ride today lol. Already got stuff coming in the mail for this new toy.

I got the bike at 1,400 miles and I believe the manual says after 1,000 miles its good to be ridden "normally". Great, because I been "pushing" the bike since I got it. Paid $6,200 with M4 exhaust, CRG clutch lever, fender eliminator, Puig Touring screen, and I believe warranty should be good till February 2017.

p.s I don't like that this bike doesn't have a standard helmet lock, with a metal hook underneath the seat, like the other bikes I've had. I guess they'll have to come to my house if the ladies want to 2up.

Greatness

Archived