The MT-07 Forum

New Beaverton/PDX owner

stockysnail

New owner of the cool Yamaha FZ-07, which shouldn't be a surprise on this forum. Trying to figure out what gear (aside from helmet) that I want to get. I'm thinking leather Dainese but I'm worried it won't breath enough in 80+ weather. I don't want to pass out while riding from heat stroke. ;)
Pic Here
This is my 3rd bike. I haven't owned a bike for about 8 years. Previously I had a 96 Honda CBR 600 and a 01 Yamaha R1. Both had too aggressive of a riding style so I'm happy the naked bikes caught on so I'd have something cool to ride. I almost got a Ducati Monster 696 instead but this is better value and more reliable, and still looks and sounds cool (with exhaust change). Any opinions on an exhaust that's not too loud (I don't want to need ear plugs when I ride up a hill) but has a nice deep growl to it?

• Global Moderator

Another Pacific Northwesterner! Welcome.

I have a textile Joe Rocket jacket that is pretty good in the heat with the vents open (at least is is as long as I am moving).

I like the stock exhaust myself. I think the sound is great, although I know a lot of guys seem to think it is not loud or deep enough. I definitely cannot see spending almost $1,000 to change it.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-recon-military-spec-jacket

This is the jacket I have, it's a Joe Rocket textile just like mjh937, but it has the option to have the reflective vest as well. It's really nice, there is a zipper in the back that the vest tucks into when I am not using it. I am in the military and I have to wear the reflective vest at night, but even if I wasn't it's still a good idea. I know I light up really well at night. It gets up to 100 plus degrees here and it stays somewhat cool compared to other jackets I have owned! Welcome to the FZ family!

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forums, glad to have a new member - nice FZ. I just picked up a Tourmaster Air Intake 3 for warm weather and I think.it's a solid jacket. Removable rain liner and an insulated one too.. I'll probably use it mostly year round.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Welcome stocky snail, glad to have you on board. There is lots of info here about the importance of gear and we even have a jacket thread.

I use different jackets, depending on the weather. I just bought a 

and I like it a lot. 
The exhaust is a hot item on this bike too.  I wouldn't mind a little beefier sound. But spending over $1k for it, I don't think so. Stock is fine for for now. I have the feeling the the sound has changed a bit (in a positive way) after a couple of 1000 miles but that could be me.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome stockysnail! Nice lookin' bike! There's definitely a need for multiple jackets when riding motorcycles. I have a vented leather jacket with warm removable liner and an air jacket with wind and waterproof liner.

There are quite a few discussions and lots of info regarding exhaust going on in this section.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Nice to see local people getting fz07. Im still saving my money hope early next year to purchase same model you have (blue wheels). jess vancouver wa

Here's what I'd like to get but I don't have enough money for it unless I open a Bill Me Later PayPal account. I'm trying to get out of debt, so it's probably a bad idea. I have expensive taste it seems but I want maximum protection. I tried on the jacket and pants at Motocorsa and they fit great, look great, and seem to be top notch.
Dainese Avro C2 Leather Jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-avro-c2-leather-jacket
Dainese Manis G Back Protector Insert
http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-manis-g-back-protector-insert
Dainese Pony C2 Perforated Leather Pants
http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-pony-c2-perforated-leather-pants
Dainese Carbon Cover ST Gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-carbon-cover-st-gloves
Dainese Giro-ST Boots
http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-giro-st-boots

Picked up the joe rocket atomic 4.0 jacket' runs $145 from most vendors. Used two days in Oh (90F//90%h) and airflow is pretty good.

Oh and great choice on color

• Global Moderator

I have been very happy with the Atomic 4.0 jacket. Airflow is great and I like the fit.

Textile joe rocket jacket here too and love it kids think its a rocket racoon jacket from guardians of the galaxy haha which gives it a couple cool points too factor in

Well I ended up buying this stuff today after spending hours trying stuff on at MotoCorsa to make sure I got what fit well and comfortable. Got the gloves and shoes at MotoCorsa and the rest at Revzilla after trying them on at MotoCorsa, which didn't have the jacket in a 46. Found the 48 just a little too big in the chest. This stuff is even good for MotoCorsa track days, which I think I'll need to wait until next year to do as the next one is in only 2 weeks. I'm already doing a track day at ORP with my car and don't think I can do that and the bike day after buying all this gear.

Dainese Avro C2 Leather Jacket
www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-avro-c2-leather-jacket
Dainese Manis G Back Protector Insert
www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-manis-g-back-protector-insert
Dainese Pony C2 Perforated Leather Pants
www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-pony-c2-perforated-leather-pants
Dainese Carbon Cover ST Gloves
www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-carbon-cover-st-gloves
Dainese TR-Course Out D-WP Boots
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-tr-course-out-d-wp-boots

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
New owner of the cool Yamaha FZ-07, which shouldn't be a surprise on this forum. Trying to figure out what gear (aside from helmet) that I want to get. I'm thinking leather Dainese but I'm worried it won't breath enough in 80+ weather. I don't want to pass out while riding from heat stroke. ;)Pic Here
This is my 3rd bike. I haven't owned a bike for about 8 years. Previously I had a 96 Honda CBR 600 and a 01 Yamaha R1. Both had too aggressive of a riding style so I'm happy the naked bikes caught on so I'd have something cool to ride. I almost got a Ducati Monster 696 instead but this is better value and more reliable, and still looks and sounds cool (with exhaust change). Any opinions on an exhaust that's not too loud (I don't want to need ear plugs when I ride up a hill) but has a nice deep growl to it?
Hey Stockysnail, you came to the right forum.  I think it has been established that a textile jacket is the way to go in summer but you might want to be a little more picky with glove style depending on your riding style.  I totally agree with you on riding style and the FZ-07 is a perfect compromise for ride, look and power!

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Another thing about the Ducati Monster 696 that I rode aside from the price was the jerky throttle. Throttle is much smoother on the FZ-07 and it's even a cable throttle, not electric. The Monster sounds a little better but I think the FZ-07 has a similar sound. It just needs a slightly more open exhaust sound to be as cool or even cooler.

• Global Moderator

I did not ride the Monster 696 but I did sit on one. I found it was too small for me. I like the look of it though, but could not see paying so much more even if it did fit.

I agree it was just a little too small. The 796 was a little bigger but that's only because the seat is different at 1" taller.

Archived