The MT-07 Forum

rode it, bought it!

redrover

Howdy from north Texas; took a test ride on Friday, 8/22/14, knew the FZ-07 was what I was looking for within 5 minutes.  Traded in my 2013 Iron 883; no regrets!  Learned to ride on a yz-80 at the tender age of 12, have had several dual sports, a couple vintage bikes, and the now disposed of Sportster.  The FZ-07 feels like a supermoto with a sport bike engine, my dream come true.  

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
  The FZ-07 feels like a supermoto with a sport bike engine, my dream come true.  
Welcome redrover! My sentiments exactly! Stick around a while, we love our FZ07s.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

Hey redrover ! Thanks for joining. great to have you on board. Are you planning any mods?

I had the dealer put on the Yamaha case guards and comfort seat when I bought the bike; I have the headlight cowling and the tank pads on the way. I don't really have any significant mods planned; I find the bike very 'finished' stock.

The FZ is the first truly modern bike I've owned. The Sportster is fuel injected and has modern technology hidden about the different systems, but it is at heart a very old design, part of its charm, maybe? The stock Sportster has hopeless suspension, iffy brakes, etc.

The FZ is the polar opposite of the Sportster, and I'm loving it!

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

hey @redrover loved hearing this as my bike debate was between the fz-07 and the iron 883 and never test drove either just felt like my heart was leaning toward the fz-07 as I have owned an r6 and a fz6 and thought maybe it was time for a cruiser but I love the fz-07 and im so glad to hear your story it makes me think I made the right decision so enjoy as I know I am

How do you like the seat?
I assume you are asking about the 07 comfort seat ;-)   
I like it a lot, it is somewhat grippy, almost a nubuck finish, but some sort of synthetic with a fairly open weave?  It seems a little more firm to the touch, but when you sit on it, it has a nice gel like give... 

The stock seat is fine in my opinion, but the dealer had the comfort seat on hand, and it looked and felt very nice, with red stitching that complements the red bike, so I went with it; the comfort seat seems less hot sitting in the sun as well, and in Texas, that means a lot!

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

• Global Moderator

Okay thanks. I think the stock seat is okay but it gets uncomfortable during longer rides so I am looking into the comfort seat. I like the looks but I wouldn't mind if it was softer (and maybe a bit cheaper).

Okay thanks. I think the stock seat is okay but it gets uncomfortable during longer rides so I am looking into the comfort seat. I like the looks but I wouldn't mind if it was softer (and maybe a bit cheaper).
I hear ya on the price; they aren't giving it away, but you do get the matching pillion seat as well, so it's not a total fleecing! 
It is the most comfortable seat I've had on a bike, that was in any way a factory seat.  I've had sheepskin covers that were a real improvement, but to me the key to what makes this seat a winner, is the fact that I don't think about it when I'm riding.  That tells me it isn't hurting me and getting my attention.

I like a firm seat; the riding position of the bike and the seat angle keep me on my seat bones, which is what I'm used to in horse saddles as well, so it works out for me very well.  I think it is a worthwhile investment, but it does come down to individual fit!

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

The iron is sadly one of HD's more sensible bikes. Too bad it's a stinker. If HD could kill the whole sportster line and build a modern bike they'd have something.

The fz07 is a better bike hands down. Styling is timely. It's quick without being deadly. Brakes work. Suspension isn't abysmal (unlike sportster). It burns cheap gas and uses cheap oil and has common sized tires. It's everything a sportster should be.

Welcome to fold

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator

It is the most comfortable seat I've had on a bike, that was in any way a factory seat.  I've had sheepskin covers that were a real improvement, but to me the key to what makes this seat a winner, is the fact that I don't think about it when I'm riding.  That tells me it isn't hurting me and getting my attention.

I like a firm seat; the riding position of the bike and the seat angle keep me on my seat bones, which is what I'm used to in horse saddles as well, so it works out for me very well.  I think it is a worthwhile investment, but it does come down to individual fit!
I was looking at your gallery and I really like the look of your seat. I see myself buying one of those soon.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
snowdriftless
Howdy from north Texas; took a test ride on Friday, 8/22/14, knew the FZ-07 was what I was looking for within 5 minutes....
You are one of the few people that actually took the bike on a test ride prior to purchasing it. Welcome to the forum! 

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived