The MT-07 Forum

Newbie from SW Washington (Vancouve

radkeys

Relatively new rider here, recently upgraded from a 250cc to the an armor grey FZ-07.  Love it so far!  Except...this week, dropped it in my it tipped over in my office parking lot, while pretty much at a standstill and trying to turn sharply.  This was my first time riding it to commute.  Bike is fine, but confidence is injured.  Did I upgrade too quick?   Should I add frame sliders or engine protection until I'm more experienced?   Or go back to my 250 for commuting?  Of course, being only 5'4" and female (I.e., not as strong as the average male), probably makes riding any motorbike somewhat challenging.  Anyway - I hope to learn a lot from all of you here!   Disi

• Premium Member

We all have dropped a bike at some point...over the years I have learned not to use front brake when going parking lot speeds or slower...it would be extremely beneficial to have at least engine case covers, others prefer a frame slider...I actually put one foot out when I'm like 2 secs away from stopping just to be prepared...when I'm sitting at a light or stop I sit with left foot on foot peg and right foot down on ground, gives a shorter seat height (it's a dirt bike thing)...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yes,we've all done stuff like that. Not counting all the times we ALMOST dropped it.
Welcome to the forum,enjoy the ride.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome and congrats! We have all been there, you will be fine with your FZ-07. We all need time to get use to a new ride. Just remember to ride within your abilities and be safe out there.

Sorry about your little spill and don't let it get you down, you have to be confident on a bike. One thing to remember is the slower you go the less you can lean without falling over. So when you push forward or backward with a leg and the bike moves remember that if it's leaning too far when your leg is extended toward the front or rear you don't have the strength nor leverage to hold the bike up so the key is to keep it very upright when parking. That gives you time to get your leg back beside you for another push or to stop it from falling over in case you accidentally let it lean too much. Use steering and strength to maneuver it more than leaning. Sometimes it ain't easy because of the surface but it's what you have to do. I've seen big guys spill their bikes because they leaned it too much when parking it so it pays to assess the spot you're parking it in first.  I recommend you get out in your driveway and practice a little to build your confidence back up and also get into the habit of what norcal616 said about putting just one foot down at a stop. I do it also and it really does help. GL!

Beemer

Elvishpresley

Don't sweat it. I even dropped my TU250X in a parking lot once early on and it's a LOT shorter than the FZ-07. 

Just get some more seat time and cover the REAR brake not front at low speed. Heck I use rear brake and engine brake 80% even when coming to stop signs. My front rotor is going to last forever.

What 250 did you ride, and for how long? My wife dropped her 300cc bike about a half-dozen times in her first year but after that it was smooth sailing. She also rides my FZ07 without any issues.  She is 5'2".

Remember clutch control on slow sharp turns such as u turns as well as never lock the steering wheel on a slow sharp turn. And maybe depending on your weight you might have to drop the preload down a notch (or two). That way the bike sags properly to your weight.

And since you are in WA... if you are going to commute through fall and winter... watch out for WET LEAVES!

Archived