The MT-07 Forum

Anyone upgrade from Ninja 300 to FZ-07?

bevans555

I sold my Ninja 300 and am now looking for my next bike. I'm highly leaning towards the FZ-07 but am still considering the CBR650f.

My biggest concern is how the bikes handle wind. The 300 was a great bike around town but sketchy on the interstate and highways to me. I could be on a back road cruising at 80mph with no problems, but, if there was a crosswind even 60mph felt extremely unsafe... and the interstate was only attempted once, again crazy wind pushing the bike around and semi trucks doing 85 riding my ass was not my idea of fun. I am assuming my problem with the ninja was a combination of having fairings, being lightweight, and having narrow tires. 

I'm 6' 175lbs.  My riding is currently limited to commuting to work and joyriding on back roads, I dont do track days and dont have canyons or mountains to ride. I dont know any other riders so no group riding. I would like my next bike to be able to ride the interstate comfortably at 80 mph, so I could open up new areas to ride.

How does the FZ handle crosswinds? Anyone use to have a 300, if so how does the FZ compare? Also how does the FZ handle 2 up riding?

Unfortunately the dealers around me dont offer test rides so I'm having to make this decision blind.

Thanks!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

The FZ07 was my first bike. It handles 80 MPH well and better with a windscreen. It does not like 2 up riding whatsoever, at least not with my big butt riding (about 190lbs. Naked at 5'6"). The Honda will be more comfortable, but will be much more vanilla to ride versus the charismatic FZ07.

SigSide.jpg

I went through plenty of bikes, but I did have a ninja 300 and R3 right before the FZ-07 also.751e0435043b2bc3ac4fb6c0a7e85e40.jpg980567684c6b2427c6384657fcd91783.jpg

These bikes are fun in their own ways. Can't really compare them.

What I loved with the smaller CC bikes was that they handled well and no matter how fast or slow you were going, the bikes always felt like they were going faster than they actually were.

The FZ on the other hand, although isn't the fastest, is a great all around bike. Has enough power to get you in trouble, but you can also toss it through the turns easily. Such a fun bike which is why there is such a great following for them.

I owned a Ninja 300 as my first bike for one year before buying my FZ07.  My daily interstate ride is at 70 mph and I don't have any problem with the FZ07 at that speed on calm days.  Between 70 and 80 mph, it is only less slightly planted in my opinion.  Both bikes weigh about 400 pounds, so a windy day on either bike seems identical to me.  In other words, the wind pushed me around on the Ninja and the FZ07 just about the same. I don't think a fairing helped or hurt on windy days.  On calm days the fairing was helpful, but I've been able to live without it for the last four month of FZ ownership.  Hope that helps.  

I've been in crosswinds on both the R3 (competitor of the ninja300) and the fz07 and they both feel the same for me. I'm going to take a guess and say unless you are riding a 700lbs bike, anything 400lbs or lighter will feel the same in crosswinds.

Also guessing you will feel the fz may be slightly worse on the highway compared to your ninja. At least on the R3 it is that way. The R3 feels slightly better (wind-wise). Plus it has the added bonus of the tank which I can rest my chest on, something you cannot do on the FZ. People don't seem to understand how drastic something like a lack of windscreen is when it comes to riding 80mph on the freeway. Yes, the naked bike will feel much worse than any bike that has fairings and a windscreen. That's just the nature.

2up riding, I don't think my situation can be comparable for you seeing as the combined weight of me and my lady is 250lbs (unless your passenger is 100lbs). But I will tell you the slow speed handling should and will be better on the FZ compared to any sport bike with clipons.  I only took on a passenger on the R3 once, and never again.  Sadly, the FZ is my best pillion bike of the 3 I own.

Suspension is the worst thing about the FZ and having a pillion will let you know that if you never notice it riding alone.  The front end dive in particular was something that was greatly amplified with a passenger.  You can stiffen the preload for the back to help the rear a bit but that front will always be soft.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I ride a R3 and Fz07. I don't notice any problems with crosswinds or trucks. Both bikes are lite but compact. Ride a big high adventure bike and see how crosswinds blow you around despite their weight.

2 up on a 07 is not ideal due to the short wheelbase and less than stellar suspension. 80 mph with a windscreen is doable. Great fun on twisties.

You can't beat a fairing for lots of high speed riding. The honda has more power and more weight. It should be a nice ride at high speed but may lack on the twisties. Reviews on the honda are ho hum. Not many denigh the 07 fun factor.

Happy shopping.

I own both bikes. I prefer the 300 over my fz on long highway rides. The constant head bobble due to wind can be tiring even with very relaxed arms and upper body. If I had a screen I am sure the fz would be great.

I went from R3 to FZ-07.  About the same in wind after addition of a small windscreen to FZ.  If you're not already make sure you are gripping the bike firmly with your knees and LIGHTLY with your hands.  

Thanks for all the replies, I really need to get out and find somewhere I can test ride one.

I had read that naked bikes were suppose to do better in crosswinds due to the lack of side fairings but perform worse with head on wind, I'm glad I asked actual owners.

Yea, I do always grip the tank with my legs and keep a light grip on the bars and bend in my arms. I'll even shake my arms out when I feel myself tensing up after being caught off guard. I live in the middle Georgia and there is a lot of farm land and open crop fields that have nasty crosswinds. I probably just need more seat time in those situations to get more comfortable... I had read on the 300 forums that others were having the same problem with being pushed around but when they upgraded to a super sport the bike felt more planted in the same situations... was hoping that was due to the little bit of extra weight and wider tires.

An extra 10 lbs of weight isn't really going to do much. That's generally how much more heavy the FZ07 is compared to a Ninja 300. The FZ07 is a light bike relative to its horsepower.

Suspension aside, the FZ07 is an easy bike to ride assuming you are not a beginner (well, I know you aren't a beginner, but I put that disclaimer there to describe "easy").  Its just as light as the Ninja 300 and it will handle at low speeds much better- which is something people don't seem to talk about often- but if you are commuting in the city or stop and go and such and not highway commuting, I can't tell you how much of a godsend it is to ride a bike that can handle so easily at low speeds (read: you aren't fighting the bike from falling down while doing sub 5mph parking lot maneuvers).  The Ninja 300 is forgiving, and you can't get into too much danger when it comes to speed.  That is what makes the Ninja 300 easy.  BUT when it comes to complete balance in all aspects, the FZ07 is just so well balanced and it has the speed to bring you out of danger if need be.  If all you know is the Ninja 300 though, you will have to get used to the FZ's throttle though.  Its much more dangerous and less forgiving.

I spent about 6 years on a Ninja 250r and was kinda use to a bike that size getting pushed around a bit in high winds. FZ will have more "head" wind but after about a week or two you should be use to it. I do get a little push from side winds on the freeway,but nothing that really felt out of the norm. I did put a short puig windscreen on my FZ to move the head wind a bit farther up,but I am 5'10 so pretty easy for me to hid from the wind.

Short story, yeah you will feel the wind and still get some gusts here and there,but nothing to write home about.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great responses already. My first bike was a Ninja 650, comparable to the Honda you mentioned, and I owned a baby ninja before the FZ. Like the others said, the FZ is fairly light, but having been blown around on the 300 myself I can tell you I haven't felt that on the FZ. The 650 offers even more stability and is doubtlessly more comfortable 2-up out of the box than the FZ, but is also far, far less agile. Like I mentioned in another thread I took the FZ to the track 5 days after I got it with stock brakes, rubber, and suspension--in B-group, no less--and there's zero chance I'd have done that any of the other japanese sport twins. So it comes down to what you're after.

i upgraded from a 250 to the fz07, rode 100 miles to a Yamaha event, and i knew once i rode the fz07 i was not taking that 250 back. Best bike ever!

• Premium Member

"...at least not with my big butt riding (about 190lbs. Naked at 5'6")." Not riding naked, I'm guessing, Jeff. ;)   On a more serious note, I've not ridden a bike of over 450[HASH]s in decades so I don't know how this might apply, but I don't like anything I've ridden in memory in crosswinds or the buffeting from being too close behind semi's. 

I'd personally say that since it doesn't have a fairing it probably won't catch as much cross wind but being a naked you are going to experience a lot of wind. It can do 2 up riding but it's not the best at it. It's probably about average on that. 

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

If you like more stability, or big bike feel, the easiest and best solution is to find things to make the wheels heavier.
Either use solid rims, or fill up the rims with material.
Especially the rear rim.
It'll give greater centrifugal force on the wheels, and keep the bike more steady.

On the other hand, it'll make the bike less nimble, and heavier.

Archived