The MT-07 Forum

Just mail ordered my MT07 (FZ07)

rhb

Hi guys and girls:
 I'm John. I just bought a brand new MT07 ,in Philippines. I researched a hundred different bikes, and kept coming back the MT07 for reliability and performance bang for the buck reasons. There is only one Yamaha dealer in the Entire Philippines that is authorized to sell the larger Yamahas. Everything else, scooter up to the R-3 are sold everywhere.  So I am having it shipped to me from Manila to Cebu. Waiting very impatiently. I have been riding since the 1960's. My first new bike was a 1965 Triumph TT special with "road legal" lights. $1150.00 cash. I was 18 years old and somehow survived that experience. I always favored traditional riding style vs sport bike style, although did briefly own a Suzuki 600cc Katana. Been researching ECU add ons, flashing, after market pipes, and K&N filters while waiting. No dynos here, and no shops to get "flashed" without sending my ECU to the states. So I am considering the cheap resistor solution for the first try. (Booster PLug), if that proves unsatisfactory the EJK sounds like the next bet. I am an old school carb tuner and this will be my first FI machine The EJK seems like a way to tinker without a dyno.
Any way nice to be aboard.
Bike will be here in about 2 weeks, and I have 22 items already in my Ebay cart :)

Welcome to the forum. Hope you're not waiting too much longer for delivery. I take it for granted that I have a dealer just a few miles away.
Sure would like to have a 65 triumph today. They're selling for 10 times what you paid.
Enjoy your new bike.

Welcome and congrats, the wait must be agonizing. Is it true what they say about dags in the Philippines?

Beemer

Sure would like to have a 65 triumph today. They're selling for 10 times what you paid.
Enjoy your new bike.
Yea, pitty, but if had all my old vehicles, I would be a millionaire, we go through life up grading and selling shit we don't want, not really thinking about how much it will be worth in 50 years. I sold mt 65 o a friend who eventually went into 1/4 mile flat tracking, and with subsequent bikes earned his AMA National number, so it went to a good cause.  

Welcome and congrats, the wait must be agonizing. Is it true what they say about dags in the Philippines?
Agonizing is a polite term yeah. 2-3 weeks, and it means when they feel like getting around to prepping it and putting it on a truck.  Sorry what's a Dag? Are you Australian? It is more fun in the Philippines if that's what you mean.

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum! Hope the bike arrives in tip top shape for you. I'm a little surprised by the number of experienced, die-hards that are picking up the FZ-07s as their new steed. I guess Yamaha really hit the nail on the head with this one, and I'm still super happy with mine. I sometimes lust after the other purpose specific machines: Adventure, Touring, Sport, high power hooligan, but in the end, I know my stupid little FZ-07 can do it all, and it makes me happy and puts a smile on my face whenever / wherever I ride.

Why can't left turners see us?

Welcome to the forum! Hope the bike arrives in tip top shape for you. I'm a little surprised by the number of experienced, die-hards that are picking up the FZ-07s as their new steed. I guess Yamaha really hit the nail on the head with this one, and I'm still super happy with mine. I sometimes lust after the other purpose specific machines: Adventure, Touring, Sport, high power hooligan, but in the end, I know my stupid little FZ-07 can do it all, and it makes me happy and puts a smile on my face whenever / wherever I ride.
Well it's interesting, here in the Philippines the Mt07 is considered a  super big bike, a big bike is a 200cc, everyone else rides scooters. Yes some guys have 1200 cc Harleys and liter bikes, but unless you live in Manila there is no where to ride them to their potential. Even the MT07 is pushing it here in Cebu province. the highway is a two lane non limited access road with all manner of traffic including ox carts in some areas.  We do have some excellent twisty mountain roads, and a short ferry ride to other islands with zero traffic and great roads as well. This my first bigger bike in the Philippines up until now I have been riding 200cc stuff because it is all you need in the city. But even in the U.S. I never saw the need for more than 750cc, I guess because it is what I grew up on, and here, more than that is useless unless you just want to impress your friends. One of the main reasons I chose this bike was the service intervals for valve adjustment since I will need to travel a long distance to get that done, and its reliability. Kawasaki has the ER6N here, but it's heavy and has had some service issues and needs more frequent valve service. In the U.S. many guys are obsessed with going 150 mph on liter bikes on the street. It's better in my opinion to have a bike you can stretch to it's potential with out being suicidal. 

Hey John, welcome, this is one fun bike?

While you're waiting I recommend you research suspension solution, as this is the only major weakness on this fabulous bike, $500 spent here will make huge difference every time you take out the bike?

Iv'e been looking at suspension mods already, I'm going to wait and see how it handles for me, then go from there, I may not be pushing it hard enough to need that, but I will know after I do a few runs on my favorite twisty. Thanks.
Thinking of just changing out the fork oil, adding more oil and getting adjuster caps, under 100 bucks for the front.

No worries, yeah see how you like it first, but good suspension isn't just about how far you can push it, but how the bike copes with imperfect road surface and how confident you feel in everyday riding. Guaranteed best money you'll spend. Read the forums here on the subject.

Agonizing is a polite term yeah. 2-3 weeks, and it means when they feel like getting around to prepping it and putting it on a truck.  Sorry what's a Dag? Are you Australian? It is more fun in the Philippines if that's what you mean.

Some others and I had just had a little discussion about the English language and how hard it is to understand at times. Talked about it in this thread: Isle of Man Lightweight TT Test: Suzuki SV650 v Yamaha MT-07. Afterwards, I started wondering if dags (dogs) were a food source in the Philippines like how they still are in some parts of Korea.

[video src=https://youtu.be/2a_ATxfEuLU]

Beemer

Some others and I had just had a little discussion about the English language and how hard it is to understand at times. Talked about it in this thread: Isle of Man Lightweight TT Test: Suzuki SV650 v Yamaha MT-07. Afterwards, I started wondering if dags (dogs) were a food source in the Philippines like how they still are in some parts of Korea.

Yes Some Filipinos eat dogs, mostly in the provinces, but most modern Filipinos eschew the idea, and you don't hear a lot about it in polite circles. Actually in a country where a lot of people don't eat regularly, they will eat anything. In Korea it is more of a ritualized thing with special breeds of dogs for human consumption. It is mostly a male thing where young boys are encouraged to eat dogs to become manly. But In Korea, I understand it is also becoming less popular.
Yah gotta be careful with the street food, you never know what kind of meat it is.

When I was there in 83' I was told it was illegal then to eat dog and like you said, it's not so popular in certain places, like Seoul for instance. You almost never even seen or heard a dog there. Maybe viewed as an extra expense to feed/take care of. Not so thrifty in Korea. While on a road march in the mountains one day we heard a good number of dogs barking as we approached a small village with straw thatched huts and to our surprise someone had made a kennel that held close to a dozen dogs (was like looking at the Mona Lisa) and I'm pretty sure they weren't raised for petting.  ;)  We did wonder about what we were actually eating over there but if it were dog I'd have to say it was good. Korea is an awesome place, though, I'd eat there again. Love that bulgogi and kimchee/w rice!

Beemer

OK, now I will withdraw to back reading a lot of the threads here, I can avoid a lot of questions that way, and try to wait patiently a couple weeks til my bike arrives.
Thanks for the great welcome, see you back here when I have a bike to talk about!
Already talked to Nels about flashing, and he replied very quickly. Just need an ECU to send him.

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Man, I'd love to go to the Philippines and ride! But I have a feeling where I'd be going... there'd be way too much traffic.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Welcome!  
Man, I'd love to go to the Philippines and ride! But I have a feeling where I'd be going... there'd be way too much traffic.
There are great roads to ride here, but sometimes getting there is time consuming, taking ferries etc. Some Islands have beautiful mini paved roads with zero traffic, no police, and always warm weather. camotes.jpg
San_Juanico_Bridge_2.jpg

Good to see someone else from the PH here.

Sadly, I'm from traffic stricken Metro Manila.

Just outside the city is awesome, though.

8107105f0a3327caa45e78205c47c9a2.jpg

973ed1b456eee85566b2e99bf22543c8.jpg

Got the bike already!, surprised at the fast service. Here is what we do in the Philippines when you buy a "big bike". everybody poses for the obligatory picture. This was the second one they sold in my city/province. so its a big deal.
Went for a ride about 74 kilometers worth, took it easy, did a semi hard first 100 kilometers, kept it under 6,000, but accelerated hard and let off occasionally. Easy to get used too, my last bike was 200cc Naked Sport, it really is about the same size and weight, just so much more bike and technology. It came with ABS which actually is a good idea as I get used to re transitioning to a larger bike again.
First impressions are took me 20 minutes to get comfortable with it, an hour and I was burning up tarmac lane splitting Philippine style. two things:
a clunky shifter, shifts like a truck, may be the linkage or perhaps it will get better over time. you have to plant the shift.
there seems to be a low end vibration as in the crank, maybe its normal, but being a split twin, I did not expect it. this is at below 6,000 RPM. no big deal if it is normal, I'll get used to it.
fits my 6'1" frame pretty well. seat is ok but firm, tends to pinch my crotch a little unless I sit back a little. but comfortable enough.
Very compact and cool bike overall, very pleased so far.
IMG_20161018_101432.jpg

Archived