The MT-07 Forum

Pipe Dream Dash

mfdba

So, the FZ-07 dash is nice. But wouldn't it be cool if it could show you all the standard info plus your favorite GPS app and maybe other info from your phone? I mean, I was just reading about the new dash messaging system coming to Moto GP and got to thinking. It would be cool to have a dash that shows revs and mph but also, maybe, waze so I can see traffic jams and police ahead. It would be really cool if it had custom skins so I could choose from analog revs or bar graph revs or a gas gauge measured in 8ths instead of 6ths.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket dashboards?

And, yes, I know I can get a bar mount for my phone. I just thought it would be cool to have a better dash to start with. :)

Thanks.

mf 

I think dash on FZ07 is simply great and compared to some other bikes it offers a tons of information. Honestly I wouldn't like having too much stuff going on on the dash ... while riding I only focus on speed, revs and gear indicator. All other stuff could be accomplished via Bluetooth and your smart phone.

• Premium Member

Don't need it. But, I grew up with a hand-full of analog gauges... at most, on EVERYTHING. Survived, raced, etc. all just fine, thanks. 

Distractions when people are riding and driving are killers.  Who needs more of 'em... really???

All that's cool stuff but I would also like to see it be able to monitor and display my heart rate/blood pressure so that I can accurately judge which wheelie was actually the best. I have a 10" tablet but if that could do what my tablet does that would be cool. I wouldn't mind being able to watch some South Park or play some Overwatch at long lights or wherever I choose. Also if it were adjustable so that I could raise it/tilt/move forward or back would be nice.  ;)  I have been known to kid around.

Beemer

Needs rear view monitor for when I put it in reverse.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

If anyone were technically inclined and had some manufacturing connections, it should be doable to attach a fitting on the gauge cluster connector that collects the data from the various sensors and wires in the same fashion the gauge cluster does, but rather than display it, tuck it away and broadcast it via bluetooth -- This would work almost exactly like the ODBII bluetooth adapters you can get off ebay.

Once the data is on Bluetooth, you could do any number of things with it - HUD's, Mobile App Displays, custom analog / digital displays (the adapter could have a universal auxiliary output method via USB or serial or something).

Lots of possibilities, I just doubt anyone wants to do the R&D to make it work for each brand / model of bike. Would make for a hell of an online business though.

Archived