The MT-07 Forum

Winter Storage

tforeman

I live in Michigan, and my '16 FZ-07 is my first bike. With winter approaching, I'm looking for any tips on how to properly store my bike away until Spring.

Any tips? Should I get a battery tender? If so, any recommendations?

What has worked for you?

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

• Premium Member

Definetly get a tender. This is what I do. Change the oil and filter, fill the tank as much as possible add seafoam and run the bike for a few min, clean and lube the chain, as well as clean the whole bike, raise both tires off the floor with stands, place a cover over the bike to keep the dust off. I have always done this with my bikes and I am in Canada so we really get winter and in the spring I just pull the cover turn the key and start riding.

Definetly get a tender. This is what I do. Change the oil and filter, fill the tank as much as possible add seafoam and run the bike for a few min, clean and lube the chain, as well as clean the whole bike, raise both tires off the floor with stands, place a cover over the bike to keep the dust off. I have always done this with my bikes and I am in Canada so we really get winter and in the spring I just pull the cover turn the key and start riding.

What type/brand of battery tender do you have? I've purchased one before. Any recommendations?

Super helpful, thank you!

What type/brand of battery tender do you have? I've purchased one before. Any recommendations?

*never purchased

Also if rats are a possibility, open up the seat (if you are using a tender your seat will probably already be off), cover up the air snorkel hole, and cover up muffler hole as well.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I keep bike on a trickle charger whenever it is in winter storage and also when it is parked at home at other times. Seems to keep the battery going for ever. I just used a Battery Tender Jr, around $20. Fill the tank to full, add Stabil, ride around 5 minutes and then store it.  Full gas tank can reduce chances for corrosion inside the tank. Change oil if you can before storage. Clean the bike as much as possible. Also roll up aluminum foil and shove it into exhaust so that rodents cannot get inside. Fill tires to a few psi more than normal if the tires touch the ground during storage. Roll the bike a few inches every week to avoid flat spots on tires. I do not start the engine while in winter storage. 

personally I take the battery out and put it in a 'warmer' spot - not ambient external temps. And yes put it on a charger.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I usually do what others have mentioned - full tank with appropriate addition of stabil (then run for a minute), oil change late season, chain lube, trickle charger. I usually don't get the bike off the tires, but do roll it every now and then unless I actually get a chance to ride - and the roads aren't wet and salty. This year I won't be using a trickle charger because I've got a Shorai Lithium battery.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
*never purchased
 As mentioned already I also use the Battery Tender Junior, works really well, it can't over charge or be connected backwards. You should be able to get it locally or online.

• 1 month later...

Deltron battery tender... it will charge and maintain your bike battery as well as car battery if needed. I have heard trickle chargers are not good for batter based on many amazon reviews.. the deltron battery tender is not a trickle charger as i understand... with the deltron once the battery is at 80percent it gives green blinking light... once at 100 percent it gives a constant green light and stops charging... goes into a "storage" mode. The tender comes with two adapters.. one for clamping on car batteries and the other fits the screws on my fz07 perfectly. 49 bucks on amazon. I have have the deltron hooked up for my battery for 2 weeks now... its not warm and neither is the battery... been in storage mode for 2 weeks straight battery and tender cool to touch.. no signs of heat or over heating.

• Premium Member

Just pull the battery and put it inside. No tender needed or ever used in 30 plus years of riding. Definitely fuel stabilizer and fill the tank right up to eliminate as much air and therefore moisture as possible from the tank.

dentalprodigy

I've been starting the bike once a week for 5 minutes to charge the battery. Is this not recommended? How hard is it to pull the battery?

I've been starting the bike once a week for 5 minutes to charge the battery. Is this not recommended? How hard is it to pull the battery?
I would not start the bike at all because that's when more engine wear takes place. I'd use the battery tender at all times (if you can). Also, if the bike is on the ground I would run it onto some old carpet to help the tires (which reminds me: I must do mine!)

Just do it! 

+1 for the battery tender, I use it year round if I'm not going to ride for more than 2-3 days. A topped off battery is usually a happy battery.

Xeon

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Running the bike on the side stand for 5 minutes won't charge the battery and make it any better off than before you started the bike.
Taking it for a nice ride will charge the battery.

Archived