The MT-07 Forum

What are these 2 wires?

mushymushroom

mushymushroom

I just got my bike yesterday and I'm wondering what these 2 wires that are in the storage area underneath the passenger side seat are. One has 2 holes and the cap says Optimate and the other is just a white blocky connector with 4 insert with a plain black cap. What would plug into them?
vQNbys.jpg
udd9L1.jpg
QwEFvt.jpg

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I believe the white block is the diagnostic connector used by the Yamaha dealer to check for problems. The Optimate plug appears to be a battery charging connector, it should have leads that are connected to the battery. You can also connect an accessory to the Optimate plug, but it would drain your battery if the bike is not running. Optimate is a brand name and they make battery chargers. 

mushymushroom

Sweet, thank you sir!
I take it the dealership probably added the Optimate branded plug onto my bike then and it's not standard.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Sweet, thank you sir! I take it the dealership probably added the Optimate branded plug onto my bike then and it's not standard.
That is correct, but most dealers add a charging cable to a new bike. Here is a picture I pulled from the web that shows one of the Optimate charging cables. It looks like yours, except for the red cap. It appears the cap and shield are removable. You can verify this, but I believe you don't have to use a Optimate brand battery charger.  
[attachment id=2399" thumbnail="1]

I own 3 Optimates (2 bikes, one car - just replaced the OE battery in the car @ 8.5 years old! I'm a believer in float chargers) and yep, along with alligator clamps, that's the SAE plug that comes in the kit.

Yep, any charger fitted with an SAE output will work. If those rubber parts get in the way, You can probably just pull the entire cap assembly off and it will look like every other SAE type connector.

Nice of the dealer to do that for ya. Maybe they forgot to remove it when they sold the bike and they're looking for it right now

• Premium Member

My dealer was not so kind. I added one myself though, as I have on all my bikes. I hope I won't have to use it this year though because I upgraded to a Shorai Lithium Iron battery.

Why can't left turners see us?

As my heated vests have BMW style plugs on them, I have those sockets on both bikes and use those for charging. I have SAE plugs on both bikes for the GPS hook-up.

Think those Li batteries need a dedicated type charger to keep all the cells happy. Iirc, The Shorais have their own plug, right on the battery. There are other brands out there that self equilibrate and can use a normal charger - as long as they do not have a desulfate mode.

Still not sure what to make of the Li batteries. Ya save a lot of weight, lose some cold weather performance and gain a lot of dollars.

As my heated vests have BMW style plugs on them, I have those sockets on both bikes and use those for charging. I have SAE plugs on both bikes for the GPS hook-up. 
Think those Li batteries need a dedicated type charger to keep all the cells happy. Iirc, The Shorais have their own plug, right on the battery. There are other brands out there that self equilibrate and can use a normal charger - as long as they do not have a desulfate mode.

Still not sure what to make of the Li batteries. Ya save a lot of weight, lose some cold weather performance and gain a lot of dollars.

i had a ballistic evo Li battery on my 05 zx6r for 3 years.  never once did i put it on a tender.  i live in illinois, so it sat in the winter.  always fired right up in the spring.

• Premium Member

i had a ballistic evo Li battery on my 05 zx6r for 3 years.  never once did i put it on a tender.  i live in illinois, so it sat in the winter.  always fired right up in the spring.
@rick  ...and that's one of the main advantages aside from weight.  Yes you have to buy a dedicated charger, but you probably won't ever need one. ;) 

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived