The MT-07 Forum

Vegan Motorcycle Gear

rowdy

• Premium Member

So, I'm not actually a vegan, but I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years.  All of that time (and some before) I've been a motorcycle rider.
I prefer not to use leather, and I've never found a good centralized place to find reviews of non-leather gear, so I thought, with the traffic that this forum gets, it might be a good place to make it happen.
I'll start with this...
I already have two pairs of their boots, a pair of these, for summer heat, and a pair of these,  and have been very happy with the fit, protection and comfort. I wanted something a little higher for shin protection, but waterproof and breathable and ran into these: Dainese Freeland Gore-Tex Boots.
I'm right between a 9.5 and 10 depending on the shoe.  I ordered these in a 43 (10US) because that's what my other Dainese boots are. I received them today, and right out of the box they felt and fit fantastic. 
I had the day off and road the bike to meet my wife and kids at the zoo, then road home.  Probably 40 miles total, and a couple of miles of walking around the zoo.  They felt really good on the bike, although the sole is a little stickier than my other boots, so it will take a little getting used too.  Off the bike, they felt better than any of my other boots.  They did start to get a little warm after a couple miles (it was 70 degrees here today - freakishly warm).  Riding home on the bike though, they cooled off nicely and I could tell the Gore Tex was breathing, just not as much as my mesh boots.  As far as durability, only time will tell but I've had good luck with my other Dainese shoes, so I'm hopeful.
[attachment id=2406" thumbnail="1]  

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Alpinestars Haku Gloves

I picked these up so I could have something that breathed a little, but would still have some warmth for those days when I commute into work at 40 - 50 degrees F and return home in the 60 -70 F.
They are the most comfortable gloves I have owned out of the box. They are touch compatible and work great with my iPhone (which some other gloves that claim to be touch compatible haven't).  They would not be ideal summer gloves (not enough ventilation), and they are not winter gloves, because they do let in air, and the palms have no insulation, but for those in-between times, they are fantastic.  Comfortable, a reasonable amount of protection, comfortable fit, and touch compatible.  I'm happy I bought these.
Some of the reviews have brought into question their durablilty, and I haven't had them for very long, so we'll see. :)

It really is surprising even when we are nearing the year 2020, how prevalent leather still is.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
It really is surprising even when we are nearing the year 2020, how prevalent leather still is.
True.  The sad thing is, one of the reasons is because it's a cheap by-product of the food industry.  The new synthetics are very good, but a quality synthetic is probably still more expensive than most leathers. Leather will be prevalent as long as McDonald's, Wendy's and Carl's Junior are selling hamburgers by the billions. :( 

pineappleunderthesea

It's hard to escape animal-based products: I once worked at a company that made polyester fiber, and the lubricants and coatings to process the fiber were often derived from animal products because it was cheaper than the synthetic alternative. And this stuff ended up in diapers, pillows, swifter pads, shirts, etc. But at least they were used in very small amounts, you probably have to drill way more oil to make the starting ingredients in the polyester, so no matter what there's no winning!

• Premium Member
It's hard to escape animal-based products: I once worked at a company that made polyester fiber, and the lubricants and coatings to process the fiber were often derived from animal products because it was cheaper than the synthetic alternative. And this stuff ended up in diapers, pillows, swifter pads, shirts, etc. But at least they were used in very small amounts, you probably have to drill way more oil to make the starting ingredients in the polyester, so no matter what there's no winning!
True dat.  I just try to do what I can. ;) 

lettuce_shoes.jpg Lettuce help you with your footwear. (Boooo! I'll let myself out)  ::)

Not knocking vegetarians or vegans, just a little shoe humor. The verses leather got me thinking. Those boots you got sound nice enough but I wonder what the qualities of alligator skin or stingray skin are like. They aren't leather but how tough are they? Do they breath? I've only heard that both are really comfortable but you never see them in a motorcycle boot. I would wear either one if made, they look good.

Beemer

• Premium Member
lettuce_shoes.jpg Lettuce help you with your footwear. (Boooo! I'll let myself out)  ::)

I like those, but I don't think they offer enough protection for my taste. :) 

Not knocking vegetarians or vegans, just a little shoe humor. The verses leather got me thinking. Those boots you got sound nice enough but I wonder what the qualities of alligator skin or stingray skin are like. They aren't leather but how tough are they? Do they breath? I've only heard that both are really comfortable but you never see them in a motorcycle boot. I would wear either one if made, they look good.
you just broke the internet....lmao

I like those, but I don't think they offer enough protection for my taste. :)
A little ranch dressing might add to its taste. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
I wonder what the qualities of alligator skin or stingray skin are like.

Stingray leather is (way) more abrasion resistant than kangaroo leather and kangaroo leather is more resistant than cowhide.
More reading:
http://heldbikegear.blogspot.com/2012/11/cowhide-kangaroo-stingray-explained.html?m=1

I wonder what the qualities of alligator skin or stingray skin are like.
Stingray leather is (way) more abrasion resistant than kangaroo leather and kangaroo leather is more resistant than cowhide. More reading:
http://heldbikegear.blogspot.com/2012/11/cowhide-kangaroo-stingray-explained.html?m=1
Thanks for that, it was very informative, I thought. I'm sending you $10 for doing what my lazy ass could've done itself on a computer, ha!  ;)

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
Not really that surprising. With all the demand for steaks and burgers why not use the skin as well? Waste nothing. 

• Premium Member

I just ordered some new overpants for the cold winter weather. My old Joe Rocket pants have seen better days and are kind of a pain to get on and off so I ordered these: Tour Master Overpant. The review seem pretty good and If I have anything insightful to say when they arrive, I'll post it.
BTW: This thread is intended to be non-political.  I just wanted to create a resource for gear that is non-leather.  Not trying to make a point or advocate anything, just trying to share information that would help people with the same purchasing constraints as me.   And trust me, I need even more constraints if I'm going to sustain this motorcycle gear habit!  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Beemer, check out cowboy boots sometime, if still like when my GEEEHAWWWWing family members ranched and rode there were boots in about every variety of "organic skin" imaginable. I had a great uncle who prided himself (in part, anyway) on how many boots he owned and in as many materials as possible.

Archived