The MT-07 Forum

Battery Removal - Question

hvansh

Hey everyone,

I tried to do my due diligence of searching Google and the forums other posts but still couldn't find a proper guide on battery removal for the winter. I have a 2017 and wasn't sure if it came with a plugin that the tender could connect to the way my old bike had or if the battery needed to be removed. If anyone has any insight or can point me in the right direction to another post that would help me to walk through the process if really would be appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, 
I tried to do my due diligence of searching Google and the forums other posts but still couldn't find a proper guide on battery removal for the winter. I have a 2017 and wasn't sure if it came with a plugin that the tender could connect to the way my old bike had or if the battery needed to be removed. If anyone has any insight or can point me in the right direction to another post that would help me to walk through the process if really would be appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!
dont have any pics but it is super easy to get to the battery. Pull up the padding on the rear of the front seat and you will find 2 bolts. remove those bolts and pull back on the seat and up, it will come right off. The battery is right there. 
this youtube video shows it

• Premium Member

I simply added a Battery Tender lead to the battery and ran the wire into the compartment under passenger seat, tucked securely away at the side of the compartment. When I need to attach the Tender I simple pull off the seat (or the Yami rear cover that's on most of the time) and plug in. On my other bike I made a bracket I attached on the inside of a cover I fabbed for the connector so I didn't have to remove or open anything... but, on the 07 I like having it tucked in. All the best.

Btw, if you have not yet removed the seat bolts be sure to note the angles they remove from so you can approximate this same angle when reinstalling... or, you can find them something of a pain.  Also, when reinstalling be sure they are threaded correctly before getting too rambunctious with the wrench. You don't want it to slip and scratch something, or strip the threads.   As I recall, a thread or two here once discussed this potential problem.

Ok so would you say that if I take the seat off I could simply attach the cables to the battery without removing the battery itself and leave it there charging over the winter? Should I physically remove the battery and charge it elsewhere? Does the 2016 fz07 have another cable that's already stock that I could connect the tender to that powers to the battery?

Sorry just trying to determine the best method :).

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Ok so would you say that if I take the seat off I could simply attach the cables to the battery without removing the battery itself and leave it there charging over the winter? Should I physically remove the battery and charge it elsewhere? Does the 2016 fz07 have another cable that's already stock that I could connect the tender to that powers to the battery? 
Sorry just trying to determine the best method :).

Thanks!
you would not have to remove the battery to put on the wires for the charger.  The charger should come with the proper stuff to put on your battery. How ever I do not like leaving a charger on all winter I've almost had a fire before ( new charger but older battery) . Not my Idea it was Ralph's but you could put it on a timer or just put it on once in a while over night. Most of my stuff I take the battery out put it on something and charg it just before I put it in. http://fz07.org/thread/6982/battery-maintenance-over-winter

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived