The MT-07 Forum

Rev sputter

fazevedo

Just purchased a 2015 fz07 used with only 2100 miles. I've been trying to search around but can't seem to find the exact issue that I have.

When revving in neutral, the revs are smooth. The moment you put the bike in first gear, the revs sputter.

Thanks in advanced

think yer one leg might now be a bit longer from the pull.

No, not normal. The ECU map in neutral is different from the in-gear map, but it shouldn't sputter/cough or do anything other than rev smoothly.

Do you know the bike's history? Was it bought from a dealer or individual. If from a dealer, I would try to get them to sort it out - especially if it is still under warranty.

• Premium Member

Is it sputtering in gear while accelerating, or sitting still with the clutch lever pulled in?

Edit: check the side stand switch

- Andy

Is it sputtering in gear while accelerating, or sitting still with the clutch lever pulled in? 
Edit: check the side stand switch

Sitting still with clutch lever pulled in. But does also can cause me to stall when taking off. (Was not just me by the way)

Clutch lever adjusted to spec? Almost sounds like the clutch is not fully engaged when in gear with the lever in,which is causing the bike to try and turn the rear wheel while it is sitting there. Only thing that comes to mind when you say it revs fine in neutral

Do you have a feel for how long the bike has been sitting? If the gas is really old, that won't help. That's only done 2k miles in 2 years says the bike has sat a lot.

Is the bike still stock - exhaust system, O2 sensor, etc.?

If you don't know the service history, think I would change the oil and filter - just for piece of mind. If you think there's a possibility the fuel in the tank is more than a few months old, syphon it out and replace with new. You might consider adding some Techron FI cleaner as well.

If this improves things but not completely, check that the throttle body sync is correct.

Many of us have suffered thru the stalling thing. The good news is that it seems to just go away on its own after some miles are racked up. .

Do you have a feel for how long the bike has been sitting? If the gas is really old, that won't help. That's only done 2k miles in 2 years says the bike has sat a lot.  
Is the bike still stock - exhaust system, O2 sensor, etc.?

If you don't know the service history, think I would change the oil and filter - just for piece of mind. If you think there's a possibility the fuel in the tank is more than a few months old, syphon it out and replace with new. You might consider adding some Techron FI cleaner as well.

If this improves things but not completely, check that the throttle body sync is correct.

Many of us have suffered thru the stalling thing. The good news is that it seems to just go away on its own after some miles are racked up. .

The bike is stock minus the fender delete. I was thinking fuel too and only has one bar of gas remaining so I was just going to fill up with 93. I already did the oil change and cleaned/wax the chain. It's been too cold in NJ to ride since I have bought it last Thursday. Hoping to get some weather in high 40s so I can put some miles on it to see if it clears up. I'll also try adding techron to see if that helps. Thanks for suggestion.

Yea the rear fender eliminator. The part that holds the license plate like 2ft away from the tail

I was only thinking 93 for this one fill up

Why would it run fine in neutral but not when engaged? Does gasoline burn differently in gear with the clutch in? This is a little puzzling. I think reboot may be on to something but if you're not sure and no suggestions work all you can do is take it to a shop. There's no escaping that sometimes. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Beemer

• Premium Member
I was only thinking 93 for this one fill up
Completely unnecessary, unless that grade has more detergents. Even, then, 87 or 89 with some Techron or Seafoam might work better.

Why would it run fine in neutral but not when engaged?
I'm still thinking there's an intermittent problem with the sidestand switch.

A video might be extra helpful here. fazevedo's definition of a sputter may be different than someone else's.

- Andy

Can't remember how specifically, but the FI/ignition map is different when the bike is in gear vs. in neutral. ( I see in-gear idle speed issues that aren't there in neutral on my Aprilia forum sometimes)

If the injectors are crudded up a bit or the fuel has lost some of its volatiles from standing or you have some water that's accumulated in the gas due to the ethanol, it might just run different when in gear vs. neutral.

You might want to check the air cleaner - someone found a critter nest in there a while back iirc.

Think I'd also check that the connections at the battery are tight. Those lead battery terminals tend to crush when new allowing the lugs to get a bit loose.

It's true, not all sputters were created equal so can we get a decent video of it idling in neutral and 1st gear with clutch in to hear it ourselves? Also, does it sputter/miss out when accelerating through the gears? Video of that as well if it is.

Beemer

he's in N.J., so weather is gonna play a role as it's been pretty crappy and getting worse. My bikes are probably done until March.

So I was able to take it out for a quick ride last night. Put techron fi cleaner and filled up tank with 89.

Seems like the sputter happens when I blip the throttle while in gear (tried 1st and 2nd) with the clutch lever engaged. Also will stall the bike.

Put the bike up on a stand and back wheel does not spin so I don't think it's the clutch lever not being fully ingaged.

Since we will be getting some bad weather and really cold, i won't be riding much to get the fuel and techron running thru the system. How can I test the side stand sensor to see if that is possibly the problem?

• Premium Member

We need a video with sound...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

So I was able to take it out for a quick ride last night. Put techron fi cleaner and filled up tank with 89.  
Seems like the sputter happens when I blip the throttle while in gear (tried 1st and 2nd) with the clutch lever engaged. Also will stall the bike.

Put the bike up on a stand and back wheel does not spin so I don't think it's the clutch lever not being fully ingaged.

Since we will be getting some bad weather and really cold, i won't be riding much to get the fuel and techron running thru the system. How can I test the side stand sensor to see if that is possibly the problem?
If you have gummed up injectors, it's gonna take some miles to clean up. 
Because this is a twin - (the 270 degree crank also doesn't help), they don't take well to quick throttle blipping that you'll see/hear guys do with 4 cyl bikes at lights (for no real reason other than to make noise)  So if what you mean by "blip" is a fairly quick throttle open/closed, yeah, it might just stumble and even stall as the FI can't keep up with your right hand opening the throttle butterfly letting in air. The motor already runs lean at idle - that behavior will make it worse for just long enough to stumble. 

If you raise the revs and just hold it or roll the throttle on hard in 2nd or 3rd gear (while riding)  - does it still sputter? 

or will it run/accelerate smoothly. 

If it's only sputtering when you whack the throttle open from closed - in gear or not - yeah, stop doing that. 

The sidestand thing is not a sensor but just a switch. It's either open or closed. Dunno how this one is set up, but they usually shut off the motor when the switch is open (side-stand down) When they do screw up, usually from water getting in, the motor will usually just die.

Easiest way to eliminate it is to just bypass the thing at the connector where it meets the loom.  

Archived