The MT-07 Forum

Bike shuts off when shifting into 1st gear!

pattybags

Clutch pulled in, kickstand up, shift into 1st gear and the engine dies.  Everything else stays on, just the engine dies.  

So from what I have researched, it sounds like there is some issue with the kickstand.  Does everyone agree?  

Can someone explain to a lay person like myself, with no mechanical expertise, what should I be looking for when I inspect the kickstand?  Any simple trouble shooting tips you guys suggest I try? Is there a way for me to bypass to kickstand switch?  

Thanks for the help!

1st make sure that the harness to the clutch switch is connected properly up at the handlebar. Been lots of posts where this was not plugged in properly and then pops out completely - That will shut the motor off when you pop it in gear..

The clutch switch prevents you from starting the bike in gear w/o pulling the clutch. The sidestand switch prevents you from riding away with the stand down.

If you look where the stand pivots at the frame, you'll see this little switch. The switch is either open or closed - I'm guessing open when the stand is down and closed when the stand is up. When the switch is open, the motor will die. If crud (road grime, water, chain lube! etc.) gets into the switch it can misbehave.

You can check the switch with an ohm meter at the plug for this switch. .

The way to bypass it is to follow the wire up from the switch, pull the plug and then jumper the loom side connections. Keep in mind, with this jumper in place, if you leave the stand down and drive off, it could cause you lose control. So leave this modification at your own risk

1st make sure that the harness to the clutch switch is connected properly up at the handlebar. Been lots of posts where this was not plugged in properly and then pops out completely - That will shut the motor off when you pop it in gear.. 
The clutch switch prevents you from starting the bike in gear w/o pulling the clutch. The sidestand switch prevents you from riding away with the stand down.

If you look where the stand pivots at the frame, you'll see this little switch. The switch is either open or closed - I'm guessing open when the stand is down and closed when the stand is up. When the switch is open, the motor will die. If crud (road grime, water, chain lube! etc.) gets into the switch it can misbehave.

You can check the switch with an ohm meter at the plug for this switch. .

The way to bypass it is to follow the wire up from the switch, pull the plug and then jumper the loom side connections. Keep in mind, with this jumper in place, if you leave the stand down and drive off, it could cause you lose control. So leave this modification at your own risk
Thanks Rick! 
I'm going to play around with it this weekend.  I'm assuming there's some grime and dirt in there because my bike has been left out in the rain recently.  I'll post back once I get this thing going.

Rain! You can find reports of side stand switches dying after guys wash a bike with a bit too much pressure.

If it is that switch, imagine being on a busy highway, it's dark, it starts to rain and the bike just stalls! Can't help wonder if side stand "safety" switches cause more accidents than they prevent. I managed to ride for decades w/o their help.

That switch makes me wonder. A couple weeks ago I slowly bounced thru a badly pot holed turn off and when I hit the highway, proceeded to wind her out a bit and when I hit fourth gear everything went quiet, coasted to the shoulder and sat there thinking, first thought was of bouncing thru that turn off so I flipped the side stand up and down a couple times, hit the starter and she cranked right up and I proceeded home another 20 miles with nary a hiccup. I don't know but it's hard to trust it won't happen again, I never cared for side stand or clutch lever switches, however, I did once have a down side stand run me and my Z1 off the road when leaning into a left hander on a mountain road...so buyer beware.

What do you think is a good way to clean the muck from the switch? Toothbrush? What kind of solution is good?

I started up today, kicked it into 1st gear and took off no problem. Lol.

When I had the problem it was about 17*F outside and very windy. Today it was 50*. It was so cold the other day even the ignition was frozen. I couldn't turn the key. It took a lot of coaxing. I think the kickstand switch was frozen too.

Electrical contact cleaner, maybe one with a lubricant. In a pinch you could use WD40, but I'm not a fan of that stuff for anything anymore as there are better products available for specific jobs.

• Premium Member

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 4 months later...
redrider15

I just experienced this today, i was coming into a stop in first gear with clutch level pulled in all the way and the engine just dies; the bike stayed on but the engine died, as if i would have cut the ignition switch, then i turned it on and it started normally. Any thoughts on this?? In my opinion it might be the kickstand because my bike only has 3000 miles and i just did an oil change. I really dont want tgis to happen to me when am i get on the freeway.

I just experienced this today, i was coming into a stop in first gear with clutch level pulled in all the way and the engine just dies; the bike stayed on but the engine died, as if i would have cut the ignition switch, then i turned it on and it started normally. Any thoughts on this?? In my opinion it might be the kickstand because my bike only has 3000 miles and i just did an oil change. I really dont want tgis to happen to me when am i get on the freeway.
My bike has died several times when I came to a stop in 1st gear but my feeling on that is that it's related to the gas saving feature (fuel cut-off) in the ECU. My kickstand is always up when it happens, it just dies right after I stop for no apparent reason. It's like the bike thinks it's still decelerating, cuts the fuel and dies at idle. It happened to me just a few days ago at a light and a few weeks ago while making a 0-60 time video. I'm just about ready to send my ECU off to 2 Wheel Dynoworks to eliminate that crap, once and for all!. 

Beemer

redrider15

@beemer yeah man thats what happened to me today, i was coming to a stop so i pulled in the clutch to ride in idle until i came to the stop, and the angine shuts off like if i would have pressed the ignition switch. It hasnt happened to me while standing, although soetimes the friction zone is a little sensitive and the bike stalls, can this be fixed on a Yamaha dealership??

@beemer yeah man thats what happened to me today, i was coming to a stop so i pulled in the clutch to ride in idle until i came to the stop, and the angine shuts off like if i would have pressed the ignition switch. It hasnt happened to me while standing, although soetimes the friction zone is a little sensitive and the bike stalls, can this be fixed on a Yamaha dealership??
Good point but my bike is past it's warranty so I'm not fooling around with my dealership. Reason, the last time I took it there for that problem all they told me was they can't work on it because it's an ECU problem and that aside from that, my EJK presented a problem because they weren't familiar with it. O_o  I'm just bypassing them and going with an ECU flash. Everyone that's had it has said the stalling stopped and fine tuned the engine as well. I'm stocked up on liquor, what's $300? 

Beemer

redrider15

@beemer yeah motorcycle dealerships are useless unless u have warranty, i might consider doing the ECU thing; if the problem persists ill try bypassing the kickstand switch, if i still have theproblem then ill do the ECU and that way i can throw in a DNA filter or a power commander or even a full exhaust system, that way i can kill 2 bird with one stone. Keep us udated though!

@beemer yeah motorcycle dealerships are useless unless u have warranty, i might consider doing the ECU thing; if the problem persists ill try bypassing the kickstand switch, if i still have theproblem then ill do the ECU and that way i can throw in a DNA filter or a power commander or even a full exhaust system, that way i can kill 2 bird with one stone. Keep us udated though!
If you get a flash tune on the ECU I don't think you'll need a power commander to go along with it.  

Beemer

Archived