The MT-07 Forum

Chain Lube

Paladin

[div]I was riding with a friend this weekend who told me that I need to lube my chain. I have seen YouTube videos of guys brushing/de-lubing and then re-applying new lube to their chains, but he said that I don't need to do that every time.  He said I can just spray it on and I'll be good to go this time. Thoughts on that?[/div]

VR/
Paladin

Guest ChicagoAJ

You can do absolutely nothing to a chain as long as you tighten it periodically, you can expect about 10,000-20,000 miles out of them doing that (however, the stock chain on the FZ-07 is pretty garbage, I wouldn't trust it after 10,000 miles).

I use a self cleaning chain dry teflon spray from DuPont. Comes in a yellow aerosol can, only lasts about 500 miles but I never have to clean any fling off from the bike. I previously used Motul lube and clean, but it turns black and gets all over everything. I only use that if I plan to do any rain riding and over winter for storage.

dentalprodigy

Here's my routine... Spray kerosene liberally onto chain and wipe off with rag. Let it dry/evaporate (15 ish minutes) and then dupont spray. Increase frequency of dupont spray.

I used to use the chain brush and all that but I don't find it cleans that well. Nothing cleans better than kerosene followed by quick wipe down with a rag.

dentalprodigy

Sure... Here you go. I ordered it from Walmart online because there have been some formulation changes over the years & it's a challenge to find the correct one in your local store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16672659?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228025239962&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=74803659408&wl4=pla-104601404928&wl5=9003814&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16672659&wl13=&veh=sem

If you want to read up on dupont chain lube. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I will have to see what I can procure locally as the chain lube will not ship to Hawaii. The link should give me a head start and is much appreciated.

I took the time to read the article that you linked.  Do you guys reapply every few hundred miles?  That means you basically reapply every time you fill up your gas tank?  That seems a bit excessive to me, but figured that I would ask...

Guest ChicagoAJ
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I will have to see what I can procure locally as the chain lube will not ship to Hawaii. The link should give me a head start and is much appreciated. 
I took the time to read the article that you linked.  Do you guys reapply every few hundred miles?  That means you basically reapply every time you fill up your gas tank?  That seems a bit excessive to me, but figured that I would ask...
Unless you want your chain to rust and die very prematurely, I would do it every other tank of gas (every 3rd tank if you want to stretch it out) - especially since you have the ocean all around you. Salt spray will destroy your chain overnight if it's not properly lubed.  
I do mine on my bikes every 500-600 miles, but it's normally very dry in my area in the summer. 

dentalprodigy
No problem. Maxima chain wax is a close second for me. I think it has superior lubrication qualities than dupont BUT you have to give it a long time to “set" otherwise it flings everywhere & makes a mess. Also i think it requires a more diligent cleanup routine. Pros are it's easy to see because it's sprays on golden whereas dupont is hard to see when sprayed on.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/maxima-chain-wax

• Premium Member

I second the vote for Dupont Chain Saver available at Walmart. I made the mistake of picking up some (highly rated and reviewed) BelRay chain wax only to find out it paints the chain white. If you don't mind a white chain, it might be fine, but I really don't care for the look of a white chain at all.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

O-ring chains do not need to be " brushed " in my opinion as the bristles tend to ruin the o-rings and let the lube oUT of the rollers...I use Maxima Gold chain wax...I even use it on my dirt bikes...I normally hit the chain with a very light coat every 2 weeks or if I'm going on a day long ride I will apply a healthy coating of wax a few hrs before... I use a rag with kerosene to wipe the chain down if I wanna "clean it"...I still using the stock chain after almost 16k miles and it's only been adjusted 3 times before I put a new set of tires on just before winter...

the only time I use a brush is on my dit bike chain which has no o-rings, I actually coat the chain with lube to get the lube in the rollers then hit it with chain wax after the lube drys...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

The kerosene I get is from the local pump @ the gas station... as for why I use kerosene, it's what I grew up with using to clean and maintain chains...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

dentalprodigy
any links to the kerosene you use? I bought a 3 can cleaning,lube,wax by maxima. any reason i should start using kerosene? cheaper?
If you can get it at your local gas station, just ask for Kerosene.  Take a gallon container with you.   Kerosene is kerosene (** see link below.  Avoid "camp fuel").  In NJ, they don't sell Kerosene at gas stations so I bought my supply from Lowe's for ~$10.  I bought exactly this tin can ... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Kerosene/3185967     I use a funnel and transfer it into a spray bottle (home depot zip brand ~2.77$) and just spray it onto my chain as I spin the wheel.  See Revzilla Lemmy's video on chain cleaning for context. 
It is more economical, and more effective than other cleaning products I've tried.  I would finish up the Maxima chain cleaning products you already bought and then switch over to Kerosene.  Even my motorcycle manual calls for it and from my googling/youtubing people in this hobby for years seem to prefer it over the expensive brands ie Motul (which are good but not as cost effective or easy to use as Kerosene imo).  

Kerosene, not camp fuel [http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/chain.php]

• Premium Member

You can pick it up in gallon jugs at Walmart too. It's used in kerosene heaters, and is pretty cheap.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

lube every 500 miles.
clean and lube every 1500.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I'm overkill on chain maintenance. Lube after every long ride or every second shorter ride. How often you clean is relevant to the type of lube you use. Guys swear by the Dupont stuff but I can't buy it in Canada unless I lived close to a Lowes. I've settled for Belray Superclean. No fling and it does a fine job of keeping a cleaner chain.

I rarely have to adjust a chain.

Guest ChicagoAJ
You can pick it up in gallon jugs at Walmart too. It's used in kerosene heaters, and is pretty cheap.
Think I got a gallon for like 4.99. Then you just need an empty squirt bottle to use it with. A gallon will last me a good 3-4 years most likely. 

Archived