The MT-07 Forum

Crazy Fun or just plain Crazy?

Zephyr

Hi all.

I have purchased a 2016 armor gray 07.  The problem is that it is in northern Wisconsin and I am in Hawaii.  I arranged to have it transported to San Diego to get shipped to Hawaii, but it has been 3 weeks and still has not found a driver to transport.  I could continue to wait perhaps for another few weeks or few months for the transport company to come through or I could go and get the bike myself.

So here's my plan.

Purchase a 1-way ticket to Green Bay Wisconsin.  Rent a moving truck and go to dealership.  Pickup bike and drive to friends house in Milwaukee to crash for the night.  Then head south to Oklahoma City to drop off truck rental and ride the bike the rest of the way from Oklahoma City to San Diego.  I might detour up to Las Vegas and crash with my brother in law for a night before making the last leg down to San Diego.  Once bike is dropped off at the shipper, then take an Uber or otherwise to the Airport and take a one way flight home.  Overall distance in rental truck ~1200 miles.  Overall distance on bike ~1500 miles.  I'm figuring on ~2-3 days in truck and ~6-7 days on the bike.  I would need to make a list of maintenance items and "road" kit such as chain lube, tire repair kit, and oil changes.

This would be the only way to ensure that the bike will be delivered in a timely manner, otherwise it's just a crap shoot with the transport companies.  My wife is mostly ok with the trip and I am fine with it as far as driving, etc.  My only concern is where to stop for rest (safety for myself and bike) and what winter wear items I'll need to pickup along the way as I only have summer gear.

So what are your thoughts:  Crazy Fun or Just Plain Crazy!

The weather is not looking real good for a ride any time soon, real crap shoot any more especially from your pick up point. Surely someone will turn you on to a reliable bike transport company. 5 or 6 years ago I shipped a Harley XR1000 from San Francisco to Columbus, Ohio for $600 with no issues, Allied I believe. Lots of shippers out there. It would be a fun ride in the summer.

Crazy Fun,

Why Greenbay, my hometown, voting for crazy, be safe wear proper gear.
No doubt winter sale, if new low miles would be hard engine break in. I live in the SF bay area and plenty of 07 good deals on craigs list. I love my 07 on the twisted local back roads, but would dread the thought of riding 1500 miles on open highway during the winter months. FYI- you will be stopping ever 150 miles for gas and stretch... Best

Crazy but doable.

Staying warm is easy but staying on both wheels when there's ice on the road is far from it. If you find 3 days where you know it'll be above 45 degrees F in Wisconsin and the rest of the Midwest (rarely happens in January), with no rain or snow, it might be doable. Heck, even if it's 35 to 40F, it's doable but below freezing temps are not worth the risk when there's ice on the roads.

If you do decide to do it, Im in Indiana and I'll be willing to ride down with you for at least 100 miles depending on the day.

Edit:
I just realized you're renting a truck to OK, which makes it pretty easy.. ?

• Premium Member

Yeah bad time of year brother.. Other wise is if was May I'd say go for it unless this is your first bike then I would say no way.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

martyinaustin

maybe we should set up a relay team...we all can drive it from one close city to the next till it gets to t he coast
for shipping. i'll take a leg in Texas if you need it!

maybe we should set up a relay team...we all can drive it from one close city to the next till it gets to t he coast for shipping. i'll take a leg in Texas if you need it!
Haha, I could deliver from Chicago, IL to Louisville, KY.

During summer this would be a great idea,but in winter,not so much. I would not recommend it.
Especially being climatized to Hawaii weather, than add in wind chill factor as you're blasting down the road. I'd say you'd find it rather cold. 

• Premium Member

I'd also advise to use a proper wheel chock when you are trucking it.

And extra batteries/chargers for said phone/gps, etc.

I've ridden in high 20s - low 30s weather in SoCal. After an hour, I'm frozen... this is without heated grips or gear, but winter gear. It was raining in SoCal today, so prep for rain as well!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I did my trip logistics and it looks like it will take one week minimum from landing in Green Bay to Arrival in San Diego. This would give me an additional 3 days of wiggle room if I needed to shorten any leg of the trip and also for some bike maintenance. The weather looks to be in the mid 50's up to mid 60's for most of the bike portion with very low (less than 10%) chance of rain. There will be one leg that may dip into the mid 30's. Each bike leg would average roughly 300 miles which really isn't so bad since it is almost that far round trip from my house to the other side of the island and back which can be done easily in a car (I know car, etc).

My initial thoughts for the trip would be thermal base layers, heated vest and leggings (battery powered, not bike powered), armour jacket and pants over that, rain gear over everything which should keep out wind chill and hold in heat as it would *severely* restrict airflow. Pinlock would be a must in the helmet, which I'm not a fan, but could live with. Add or subtract layers / items as needed.

I would look for a motorcycle/parts store along the truck route portion to see about adding a RAM phone mount and 12V lighter socket to plug into the Factory Aux DC to the bike. If it's possible then great, if not I can do without as the route is fairly straight forward and I know how to conserve my phone battery life. The frame sliders, windscreen, radiator guard, and top case would come over as my "luggage" and thus would be installed pre-ride.

I have one "last resort" transport company who is supposed to be getting the bike transport arranged. They have until Saturday morning to confirm, otherwise I will be booking my flight Saturday, leaving Sunday night and landing in Green Bay on Monday morning to begin the trip. I really prefer to ship the bike rather than do it myself, but I trust myself enough to know and understand my limitations in such an undertaking. I would always choose safety over anything else, so that if I had to blow my deadlines in order to be safe, then it's not a problem. I could store the bike at my brother in law's house in Vegas as a last resort and return in a few weeks for the last leg to San Diego for the next port shipment drop off date range.

Thanks for all of the input. It sounds like the consensus is "Plain Crazy" and though I agree to an extent, it's a very calculated crazy which suits me just fine. After all it could become one of those life experiences that I wouldn't trade for the world.

• Premium Member
https://www.google.com/search?q=wind+chill+chart+for+motorcycles&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ8KSf2a3RAhUM5oMKHSBhDEUQsAQIGQ#imgrc=9P7CKTLFWSJcMM%3A

Just a FYI

300 miles on a bike will end up being 6 to 7 hours on a bike I highly advise against it if this is your first bike ( is it your first bike ?). People take a lot of time getting there gear and bike ready for a trip like that. You will get fatigued and have something bad happen that's my prediction most likely on the first day an hour in when its in the 30's and the wind chill puts you at 15 F, salt and dirt on every corner just waiting to take you down. It will be an adventure that for sure.
Dude don't do it you have no idea what your getting into and you will be alone.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Instead of trucking it to Oklahoma City, I'd just go straight south and get to Memphis, TN or even Jackson, MS. I figure the quicker you can ditch the truck, the more fun it'll be. I took a road trip on my FZ6 when I had her(had hard givi cases, so nice), and the bottom of Kansas/top of OK had to be the most miserable section of the trip. TX might be long, but it was still fun. I would try to avoid going through Flagstaff if at all possible this time of year as well.... Overall sounds like crazy fun to me. I can't wait for my next road trip

Update: The Crazy adventure has come to a somewhat anti-climatic closure. I was ready to book flights, but saw somewhere that someone had used Allied to transport their vehicle. I spoke with Allied on Thursday and again on Saturday. They were kind enough to explain the route that they were attempting in order to get my bike delivered in time to be shipped out on the next shipment to Hawaii. They had confidence in their logistics and were very responsive with everything thus far. I got the email this morning that the bike was scheduled to be picked up from the dealership, delivered to Chicago and transported by train to San Diego where it will be unloaded and transported the last little leg by truck once again. All transports are enclosed and the bike should be inspected at each transition. They are supposed to be updating me at each transition also to allay any concerns on my part. They aren't the cheapest outfit, but for the quick turnaround they are worth the money (thus far).

FYI. For those wondering "WTH was this guy thinking?" I had discussed the trip multiple times with my wife and we came to the conclusion that I would truck the bike rather than try and ride halfway figuring that total end cost would be minimal difference factoring in hotel stays versus sleeping in the truck. The first leg would be to Las Vegas; spend a day or two there to rest (and ride); then finish the last leg by truck to the port. The entire trip (airfare, truck rental, gas ,etc) would have cost ~$3000, so I am saving quite a bit of cash via Allied and should still get the bike at the same time as I planned. I'd love to squirrel the extra cash saved into a "future upgrades" account, but the wife has plans for it for our daughter's first birthday (very very big deal in Hawaii), so she'll get the cash, I'll get the bike and we'll both be happy!

Epic bike adventures will have to wait... For now.

I would make the trip to pick it up but throw it in a nice, heated Penske and deliver it myself to the port company that will float it home.

Beemer

Any other time of year this would have been a fun trip to take the whole way, no trucking at all but...I think you've made a wise decision considering. When I suggested Allied, I had assumed others would have suggested more recent transport experiences, I'm kind of surprised no one did but any way, my experience was all positive so I hope yours is the same.

I think the -07 will be about perfect for running around the island, good luck.

Let Hawaii be your adventure destination for now as you get used to your new bike, and if there is any cash you can throw at the bike, do so at the suspension, as many misunderstand, it's not to race, but give you a secure and overall comfortable feeling over less than perfect surfaces.

Crazy leads to adventure then to memorable experience, Don't lose it?
Congrats, and enjoy
From a seasoned rider?

Archived