The MT-07 Forum

Custom Air Intakes

crsnhppr

Has anyone tried those little air filters that clamp directly to the throttle bodies? How about maybe those neck downed air intake hoses connected to an aftermarket air filter?

You will loose a lot of the broad power band the fz-07 has if you were to run with the pod filters directly attached to the throttle bodies. Have you looked inside your air box? Notice those really long intake runners that pass by both sides of the air filter and terminate in small bell mouths, that intake runner length is what gives the -07 it's strong low to midrange punch. If you haven't already looked, you should go check out our vendor 'Hordpower' he has spent many hours on a dyno developing what you are describing in your second sentence. It would seem there is a lot to loose by messing with this bikes intake but one solution that many have found to work really well is Hords air box and tuning, whether with a PCV or ecu flash.

Agreed. Many, many hours of tuning and dyno runs to already support what works and what doesn't. Check out Hordboy; he's done the work for you. He's also spent a lot of time tuning to retain low-mid while significantly raising the top-end power. Some other solutions for low-mid with a touch more on top as well in the postings.

You WILL need a reflash to support pods if you go this route, but they flash to known or nearly known setup, so you're going to be playing a while if you use your own pods. An option is a reflash to something close to Hords, then use the EJK to dial it in. But I don't suggest this - use Hord if you want the top end and other solutions if you want to enhance driveability and low-mid.

This topic has been kicked around for years now. The info is here if you look for it.

Good luck.

• Premium Member

I dont think you will find a better airbox for the FZ-07 than the one made by Hordpower...the FZ still has the same if not slightly better bottom end punch that still noticeable till you get about 6.5k rpms then you really notice the how much better Hordpower airbox is...

On another note, APmoto Arts has a intake system that is nothing more " bell mouths" clamped on the throttle body but no dyno graphs are posted or any reviews done, it was designed to be used with a new " ram air " style intake thats under R&D for the last 2+ yrs..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I made my own for under $50. K&n r2300, trimmed and modded the oem intake tubes, made a bracket and extended the pcv line. 

IMG_20170115_175746.jpg

IMG_20170108_170459.jpg

IMG_20170108_142022.jpg

Where there's a will there's a way, nice job. Does that model K&N have a decent bell shape inside? I know some I have used did and I'm sure the large radius bell mouths are a necessary component of the h.p. gains.

Which fuel/ignition method have you used?

I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't have $300 ever laying around
Well I can understand that...cornelje appears to have a budget minded option but you will still need to save some $ for a reflash or pcv to optimize either option. I would think if the cheaper option was close then the best fueling option might be Hords new ecu flash that is almost ready for prime time and designed to compliment his intake system. I'll be testing one shortly I hope and be able to compare to my pcv with Hords air box and a yosh r77 exhaust system.  

• Premium Member

The hordpower is a good product and a great deal if you use their flash. I wanted to use 2wdw so it didn't make sense for me to buy. Plus I like little projects and noticed the hord used the stock intake runners so I figured I'd try it.

Yes the k&n has a velocity stack shape inside. I thought I saw an early pic of the hord box and it had a k&n logo on the back cover. This makes me think they used the same filter in their prototype.

The hordpower is a good product and a great deal if you use their flash. I wanted to use 2wdw so it didn't make sense for me to buy. Plus I like little projects and noticed the hord used the stock intake runners so I figured I'd try it. 
Yes the k&n has a velocity stack shape inside. I thought I saw an early pic of the hord box and it had a k&n logo on the back cover. This makes me think they used the same filter in their prototype.
Thanks for sharing that info and I agree, this bike is like a blank canvas for a tinkerer...things you might not need to do or maybe want to do on a more expensive bike is fair game on this one. 

• Global Moderator
I dont think you will find a better airbox for the FZ-07 than the one made by Hordpower...the FZ still has the same if not slightly better bottom end punch that still noticeable till you get about 6.5k rpms then you really notice the how much better Hordpower airbox is... 
On another note, APmoto Arts has a intake system that is nothing more " bell mouths" clamped on the throttle body but no dyno graphs are posted or any reviews done, it was designed to be used with a new " ram air " style intake thats under R&D for the last 2+ yrs..

The AP motoarts airbox IS Hord's airbox, as is the ram air style in development. He has had it under development since he finished off his initial airbox design.  He perfected the airbox design but hasnt yet released much info regarding the ram air system.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification Sorkyah...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, cornelje said:

I made my own for under $50. K&n r2300, trimmed and modded the oem intake tubes, made a bracket and extended the pcv line. 

IMG_20170115_175746.jpg

IMG_20170108_170459.jpg

IMG_20170108_142022.jpg

what did you wrap around the stock intake tubes to thicken them up like that?

firstyammerha

check out Derekfz post and following posts in the shock section for his mod enabling the fitting of piggyback shocks to the FZ07. his post discusses the addition of pods and tuning and is more up to date.

19 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

check out Derekfz post and following posts in the shock section for his mod enabling the fitting of piggyback shocks to the FZ07. his post discusses the addition of pods and tuning and is more up to date.

do you have a link?

firstyammerha

page 7 in the shock mod  section or search derekfz on the site. I'm not literate enough to do the link attachment thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived