The MT-07 Forum

Winter bike withdrawal

ducttapewd40

It's that time of year again where the riding withdrawals are kicking in.  It's been over two months since I've taken the bike anywhere and I'm just going to miss it more and more until spring hits.  Watching motovlogs helps about as much as an alcoholic watching his friends getting drunk and having a good time without him.  We did have an unseasonably warm week in Michigan that even though I decided not to take the FZ out, I did take my dirt bike for a few rides around my property.  The ground has since frozen solid again though, so even that probably won't come out for another ride until the ground softens up enough for the tires to bite in a bit once more.   I spent most of last winter taking my bike apart, making modifications, and putting it back together again but I'm pretty happy with the current setup so that's not going to help me this year.  

I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes through the same thing every year.  What does everyone else do to ease the winter withdrawals?  Should we start a support group where we sit around twisting imaginary throttles and making engine noises?

• Premium Member

Im in the same boat as the OP... Gotta love michigan weather ?... I did ride a few weeks ago during that freaky week of 50° temps... I try to temper the winter motorcycle blues by wenching on " fast 8-9 sec cars" one day if I win the lotto i winn be Jeff Luts and Tom Bailey fast at 5.80 secs ? and my RC trucks are a blast in the snow!!!

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Man I didn't ride mine for about three weeks and I was getting bummed out. Fortunately it was 50* last weekend and looking at mid 70s next weekend so I was able to take it out. Good ole Texas "winters".

I decided to learn to play the alto saxophone. This has brought fun back to those cold dark days.

Just do it! 

It's that time of year again where the riding withdrawals are kicking in. It's been over two months since I've taken the bike anywhere and I'm just going to miss it more and more until spring hits. Watching motovlogs helps about as much as an alcoholic watching his friends getting drunk and having a good time without him. We did have an unseasonably warm week in Michigan that even though I decided not to take the FZ out, I did take my dirt bike for a few rides around my property. The ground has since frozen solid again though, so even that probably won't come out for another ride until the ground softens up enough for the tires to bite in a bit once more. I spent most of last winter taking my bike apart, making modifications, and putting it back together again but I'm pretty happy with the current setup so that's not going to help me this year.  

I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes through the same thing every year. What does everyone else do to ease the winter withdrawals? Should we start a support group where we sit around twisting imaginary throttles and making engine noises?

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/7293/winter-bike-withdrawal#ixzz4XKmbJ93E

I feel your pain as I'm in much the same situation as you are. I live in the Colorado high country and even though the main roads are clear, my back road has about 1/2 mile of ice that does not melt for months. I have not had a ride since early November and probably will not get out until March. Maybe we should run with your support group idea and call it "Moto-depressives Anonymous"...  (rofl)

I got lucky last week, it was one of those random 67 degree days in January, so I took the bike out for a little ride. It was great to be out on the bike again but now I'm biding my time until Spring. The new 2wdw flash is amazing and I have a full Ohlins kit coming so I can't wait for the weather to break before I can enjoy it.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

pineappleunderthesea

I put a cover on the bike during winter storage in my garage, I made the mistake of taking off the cover a couple weeks back. Next thing I knew I was shining up the bike...

I recently subscribed to Cycle Rider magazine (it was a cheap subscription), and that just makes it worse. I also need to stop receiving the Common Thread emails from Revzilla, I got all sucked in on their latest review of the Ninja 650...

• Premium Member

Hi my name is Norcal616 and i am addict to riding my motorcycles... Walks around the forum making motorcycle noises and pretending to ride an invisible motorcycle...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I misses our 60 degree day, had to run around in the cage looking at all the others riding.?

Now for the next 15 days 30 for highs. ARGHHHHHH! COME ON SPRING!

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Yeah my withdrawal involved withdrawing bike from garage and going for short ride up Skyline to Alice's (60*+) still don't like the water seeping out of the mountain and running across the road in the corners, I'm getting old and scared I guess but at least it's not ice or snow.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome (PMS) is real. Been very wet and cold here but it warmed up the last 2 days so I got to ride both my bikes a little! I realized my skills weren't as sharp as they were last fall. Sorta scarey.

Tip: If you haven't ridden in a while and you get a nice riding day, check the air pressure in your tires first. Ours were way low on all of them.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome (PMS) is real. Been very wet and cold here but it warmed up the last 2 days so I got to ride both my bikes a little! I realized my skills weren't as sharp as they were last fall. Sorta scarey. 
Tip: If you haven't ridden in a while and you get a nice riding day, check the air pressure in your tires first. Ours were way low on all of them.
I'm definitely with you there, most of what kept me from bringing the bike out on the one nice day was the roads by me stayl pretty bad even after a few warm days.  It's a lot of windy two lane country roads through farm land that seem to stay covered in gravel long after the snow has melted.  Especially the best corners that get about a truckload of gravel each dumped on them every time it snows.  I know I'm going to be a little rusty every year for the first ride or two so I try to wait for a day there's not going to be many more factors contributing to a crash.  

• Global Moderator

I shall carry you all with me in spirit while im ripping down the freeway tomorrow on our 70ish deg day

Specifically you northerners

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

We had an abnormally beautiful week of t-shirt weather here in Edmonton Alberta (5/8C) but any clear roads were covered in a deadly film of sand...man I really pondered risking it, then it snowed again, probably best.
So..... I research clothing and order parts for mine and my wife's, ponder bike crafty projects and materials for said projects etc.

Mostly I just pace around more than usual.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived