The MT-07 Forum

To Buy or not to Buy?

sithone

Hello :)

There is a used White FZ-07 available at a small dealership 130 miles away from me.  I contacted the dealership and the otd price would be no more than 6500.  The guy who originally purchased it supposedly bought 4 other bikes the exact same day, this one just happened to be returned with just over 700 miles.  I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not this is a "must have" or a "meh" kind of ordeal.  

Thanks!

• Global Moderator

Do you know any background on it? Was it dropped, scratched, first service done etc...

• Premium Member

If there's nothing wrong, that's a great buy. I basically got the same price from a forum member who had to let his go.

Inspect it thoroughly, take a flash light and mirror if you must. If it was dropped or banged up (not likely) .. then maybe it's not worth it. If not though and you were gonna get one anyhow, totally snatch that up! Ask if the 600 mile service was done also, that'll save you even more.

Everything went braap.

I have not inspected it myself (as it is at least 1.5 hours away), but I have been told it is in brand new condition. 600 mile service done, and was purchased by an older gentleman. He bough 5 bikes in one day, so I imagined he just stuck to one of them... that of course not being the fz-07

• Premium Member

If it was me, I'd make the trip ready to buy. If all is as it's said it is and passes inspection, I'd fill out the paperwork and ride off. Money for accessories, fuel or a road trip. :D

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
If service was done and no drops/damage, $6500 OTD including tax is a great buy. I'd be all over it.

Yeah stellar deal. I paid 6.5 but also had to pay the associated DMV fees and sales tax, which was about $300. You're getting the best deal to date if you can get approval.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome sithone! It sounds like a great deal since the service has already been done. Definitely worth a trip over there to check it out.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Why would a guy buy five bikes in one day? And then, why would he return most of them back? That don't make no sense to me. I'd rather pay more $$, than buy from an insane owner ;)

Why would a guy buy five bikes in one day? And then, why would he return most of them back? That don't make no sense to me. I'd rather pay more $$, than buy from an insane owner ;)
I think it's just the mere fact that he has $$$$$$

I have not inspected it myself (as it is at least 1.5 hours away), but I have been told it is in brand new condition. 600 mile service done, and was purchased by an older gentleman. He bough 5 bikes in one day, so I imagined he just stuck to one of them... that of course not being the fz-07
Who the hell buys 5 bikes in one day?  Was it Jay Leno?

• Global Moderator
Updates to come... I personally want to jump on it asap but awaiting permission from the wife lol
Just buy the thing and surprise the wife! I am sure she likes surprises. :P

Updates to come... I personally want to jump on it asap but awaiting permission from the wife lol
Just buy the thing and surprise the wife! I am sure she likes surprises. :P
We don't all it permission, it's called "buy-in", get the wife to agree it's a good idea :)  Good luck! 

could the dealer be lying? whaaaaaaaaaat, no way dealers don't lie. 5 bikes one person I don't believe it.offer him $6000 tell him its used.

could the dealer be lying? whaaaaaaaaaat, no way dealers don't lie. 5 bikes one person I don't believe it.offer him $6000 tell him its used.
Yes, try a better offer. You have everything to gain. Also, bring a friend with you (or wife). He/she won't be as emotional about the bike as you will be once you are alone with it, and listen to your friend.
Let him/her help you look at the bike. Salesman likes to talk to you when you are looking, its hard to concentrate. Bring a flash light.
As Neon says, its a use bike after all.
Good luck

It's better to buy it and ask for forgiveness, rather than ask for permission
I wish this was true. Don't forget, women are like elephants, they never seams to forget. 

It's better to buy it and ask for forgiveness, rather than ask for permission
I wish this was true. Don't forget, women are like elephants, they never seams to forget.

And that's one of the reasons I don't keep them around ;)

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Killer deal, basically like buying a demo bike. They use it for customer test rides then usually sell the client a brand new one. Usually dump the demo bike for a used price. 700 miles is nothing. Just make them include the extended Y.E.S. warranty for free so if anything goes wrong, they will fix it.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

The FZ is in high demand. Not many,if any deals like this around. You are getting a discounted price and the initial service is complete. Do your diligence and if it feels right jump on it before someone else does. I would ask to speak to the previous owner. And test drive?

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Killer deal, basically like buying a demo bike. They use it for customer test rides then usually sell the client a brand new one. Usually dump the demo bike for a used price. 700 miles is nothing. Just make them include the extended Y.E.S. warranty for free so if anything goes wrong, they will fix it.

My thoughts exactly. I'd call the dealer and ask for the vin then do a search to see who (if anyone) had the bike before.

Then I'd go back to the dealer and explain deception and trust. Eventually we'd come to a nice price agreement and I'd ride away with a new bike w/ extended warranty.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived