The MT-07 Forum

Warmest gloves

danfz07

Ok, the days are nice enough to ride but that 35 degree morning is starting to kill me.  All my gear does fine except for my hands.  I currently use Cortech Scarab winter gloves and they do fine enough at 45 for so degrees but at the end of my 20 minute commute they are froze when it dips to the 30s.  I dont want to use heated stuff cause I dont want to mess with the wires.  So whats everyones suggestions for the warmest glove out there. 

Thanks
Dan

snowmobile gloves and get yourself a wind-deflector. Or better to slip some Hippo-hands over your bars and it should improve matters considerably.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I didn't want to mess with a wiring harness either but since going Gerbing, I won't go back. There's some steep discounts on them right now at Revilla. I absolutely recommend a temp controller.
Since they're as warm as any winter motorcycle glove I've tried while unplugged, the only time you need to deal with the wires is when you're gearing up to be on the bike for a bit which is worth it. It makes for a safer and more enjoyable ride. I don't recommend it but I've taken them down to 17 degrees F.

I too have the Scarabs, they are decent not great protection from the cold. Silk liners help a bit.  The gloves held up well to a 30 mph low side while sliding on my belly and hands. Now use them for parties and bonfires when its cold out.  Since the slide My in laws got me a set of HD branded gloves, I would have never looked at them as they offer nothing for protection other than being leather.  But they are freaking amazing at keeping the cold and water out. They do not absorb water like the scarabs did.  Also I have since crashed in them,...  and they took less damage than the scarabs did and still ride in them.

If you don't mind the style check out HD gloves. Sorry don't know which they got me- I'll look and see if I can find them.

HD Gloves
These are what my in-laws got me for Christmas.
Have rode in both gloves into single digits, scarabs not good at all at those temps. HD's did fine.  
Also I second the hippo hands, they are a big pain but they work.

snowmobile gloves and get yourself a wind-deflector. Or better to slip some Hippo-hands over your bars and it should improve matters considerably.
Ya know I have been thinking of snowmobile gloves and the hippo hands but I have bar ends and that would be kind of tricky.  My wife is quite the craftier so I may put her on a project to make some that have velcro to around the bar end mirrors. 

HD Gloves These are what my in-laws got me for Christmas.
Have rode in both gloves into single digits, scarabs not good at all at those temps. HD's did fine.  
I have seen these on more than one review that they are some of the warmest out there.  Just wish they didn't have that big HD symbol on them.  LOL 

I didn't want to mess with a wiring harness either but since going Gerbing, I won't go back. There's some steep discounts on them right now at Revilla. I absolutely recommend a temp controller. Since they're as warm as any winter motorcycle glove I've tried while unplugged, the only time you need to deal with the wires is when you're gearing up to be on the bike for a bit which is worth it. It makes for a safer and more enjoyable ride. I don't recommend it but I've taken them down to 17 degrees F.
How much of a pain is wiring the harness?  Where do the wires go when your not using it?  I know they would be the best option but I really dont want loose wires hanging around during the summer when they aren't in use.  Also, which Gerbings do you have?? 

Thanks
Dan

@nmrider - the Gerbing harness is no different than having a battery tender lead attached to your bike. I have my Gerbing lead sitting right on top of my battery tender lead. After Winter just pull it off the bike and keep it stored with your gloves. The harness comes with a bunch of fuses to allow you to combine heated gear. They just pop in and out, everything is in the manual. If you end up getting a heated jacket liner (or heated pants, or socks, etc.) to use with the gloves. You just pop out the fuse and pop the appropriately bigger one in. You can either keep the harness tucked under your seat or zip tie the end discreetly out of the left side of your bike so when you sit on the bike you can quickly connect your gloves and/or jacket (with it's wire pulling out of the front left side of your jacket) and go.
I'm not sure what mode glovesl I have but they're probably not in production anymore. There are versions that only wire to the bike battery, only take their own independent batteries or hybrid's that accept both. I just got the wired one's because I'm only going to use them when I'm on the bike for decent stretches. If you want to ride with them plus use them for tailgaiting or something, get the hybrid's. IMO I spent $ on the gloves and temp controller. It didn't appeal to me to then spend more money on the batteries, that don't last very long.

Hope that helps. I think they're a way better and less involved route than adding heated grips and/or wind guards. They heat both sides of your hand as opposed to just the palm like grips.

I got new, expensive "winter" gloves (about 250) for Christmas and they didn't cut it. They were marginally better than cheapo 75 dollar cold gloves. So I bit the bullet and bought some barkbusters. Installed those as well. Sadly, in freezing temps, the combo will still eventually be defeated by the cold + time exposure.  Even with the $390 total gear and accessory upgrades, I am just slightly more resilient in the cold.  But not enough to write home.  It still beats the crap out of my hand and the cold still wins out.

You have no choice but to buy some form of heated something in order to deal. Whether that means heated grips or gloves, thats up to you but there is absolutely no way around it if you don't want freezing hand pains in freezing weather.

imo you probably should go handguard + heated gloves.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Unless Gerbing has changed their designs a lot since I last bought my second set, if there is no power they get cold right quick! We're talking 35 and below riding. The Scarabs were only good for 30min max IMO and after 20min dexterity was taking a noticeable hit. I consider them 40+F gloves. But if you can shield them from the wind then you can probably double the endurance.

The current crop of Gerbings uses 150g Thinsulate. Which isn't enough without electricy.
I bought these this year: FXR-Snow Fuel - about $90, Thinsulate 250g back of hand and thumb/100g palm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B37DQO0?th=1

For hand guards I really like the Suzuki DL650 ones, cheap. But I haven't tried fitting them to the FZ yet.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thanks for a the suggestion. Still don't know what route to go. Dont really want to spend the amount of money or just doing the wiring for running 12v for heated gloves for just 6 weeks of the year when its that cold. Snowmobile gloves may be the answer, and I think I will have the supper crafty sewing wife work on some hippo hands that will work with my bar end mirrors. I really think that may be the cure. If I could get the wind off of the hands then I should be fine. Thanks again for the help.

Dan

Best option are heated gloves.

If combined with heated grips & handguards, that is the best (don't forget the silk inner gloves).

If not, get the thickest Thinsulate glove possible.

Safe riding!

HD Gloves These are what my in-laws got me for Christmas.
I also have these gloves (and their heated jacket liner; really comfortable ride even when it's 30 or below out)
Not sure if they're just branded over some other manufacturer.

I just ordered these after much research and deliberation.  https://www.revzilla.com/snow/arctiva-meridian-gloves   Heated gear may be best but for the cost I think these will hopefully do the trick for what I need. I will have the ol lady made something to block the wind like the hand guards if necessary but hopefully this will get me to spring. Damn living in the mountains makes the weather pretty unpredictable each morning. I will give a thorough review on them after I get them and get some miles in them. Thanks for all the help from everyone. FYI I think I have found the best all season riding pants now. I have the size that was too small in the classifieds until I just send them back but I will do a review on the Cortech GX-Sport pants soon and so far they are fantastic.

Dan

I just ordered these after much research and deliberation.  https://www.revzilla.com/snow/arctiva-meridian-gloves   Heated gear may be best but for the cost I think these will hopefully do the trick for what I need. I will have the ol lady made something to block the wind like the hand guards if necessary but hopefully this will get me to spring. Damn living in the mountains makes the weather pretty unpredictable each morning. I will give a thorough review on them after I get them and get some miles in them. Thanks for all the help from everyone. FYI I think I have found the best all season riding pants now. I have the size that was too small in the classifieds until I just send them back but I will do a review on the Cortech GX-Sport pants soon and so far they are fantastic.  
Dan

Those seem to be pretty good for the cold weather!!! Nice choice & price!

Safe riding!

Archived