The MT-07 Forum

Might be joining the team

mints

Hey everyone, just wanted to pick your brains and get any useful advice. I am going to look at a '16 tomorrow morning (with the wife, she needs to approve of course lol). I am pretty excited about the possible opportunity of being an fz07 owner. Im in chicago, so we don't have the best riding weather all the time but when we do...you really can beat cruising down lake shore drive. Tomorrow ill be doing a test ride and talking pricing to get the best deal, any thing I should look for or pay close attention to? It is a '16 with 4k worth of miles, matte silver w/ blue, with an akropovic exhaust, and handle mounted side mirrors. Dealer is looking to get 6200 but speaking with him on the phone hell let it go for 6k OTD.

I am coming from an '04 CBR 600 (which i sold :/) but it just wasn't comfy riding with the wife so I'm hoping this will be a little better riding two up. How do you guys enjoy riding with a passenger, and how does the passenger feel about the ride?

Thanks again, ill keep everyone updated! 

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

I've got a red '15 that I was just about to put up for sale in St. Louis. Has a tidy tail, full Yoshi exhaust ($$$), shorty levers and cushy grips. It has 3690 miles on it and not a scratch. I could beat that dealer price by quite a bit. 

Either way...I've owned at least a dozen bikes and you really need to look out for one thing on the FZ which is the stupid little rubber pads on the foot pegs curve up ever so slightly at the outer edges and restrict your feet from sliding off the pegs when you are going to put your feet down. I've almost dropped the bike a few times because of this...so just be warned. 

How much could you beat the dealer price by? Im a big fan of the silver but love the fz overall, and thanks for the heads up. 

• Premium Member

I dont have experience with doubling up but folks here are pretty adamant that the suspension is where Yamaha cut corners to keep the costs down.  Depending on your combined weights,  something to consider.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Combined weights I think were at 260-270. We don't do a lot of riding together but when we do she would like a little comfortability. Not looking for full bagger style but we just couldn't do more than an hour on the cbr

Pricewise, it is a dealership, so I guess it'll be more expensive than going through individuals, but maybe you could scratch a bit more (tell your wife to act against the bike, hehe).

2-up is ok - I am 160 and my gf is like 180, she usually complained about my previous small R, but she could stay up to 2 hours on the backseat of the FZ - according to her, it was a pleasant surprise to find it more comfortable than she thought. Anyways, I've upgraded her seat too with gel, foam and a grippier seat cover. ;)

For the rider, 2-up, you know: you need more time to react, etc. It is ok, if it is frequent riding with the passenger, play with the suspension or even upgrade it. In my personal case, I'm riding mostly alone, so I won't touch the suspension for now.

Safe riding!

Yea most of the riding would be done solely by me but there's the occasional day she wants to hop on and we dona little riding. Go to lunch/dinner or a movie something like that. I'll have her sit on the back with me today and see what she says.

I'm definitely gonna try to haggle a little more. I would really like 5800 otd so that's what I'm gonna shoot for. I've been reading a lot of reviews and thoughts and so far I hear nothing but great things about this bike so that makes me even more excited.

I just checked Kelly Blue Book for that bike with a 60634 zip and with only 2350 miles on it, it lists for $5905 in excellent condition. With a nice Akra exhaust and possibly some good CRG mirrors I would throw my money at him and leave a tire mark on his lot. The man has to make a little profit.

Beemer

Agreed. $5800 would be a perfect world. it does have some goodies on it, like flush turn signals, the exhaust, and the tail light tidy kit. Haven't actually seen the bike in person yet to see what else it has but heading there in a few hours. All those goodies, along with a quality bike (practically still new) is certainly worth the 6k

Agreed. $5800 would be a perfect world. it does have some goodies on it, like flush turn signals, the exhaust, and the tail light tidy kit. Haven't actually seen the bike in person yet to see what else it has but heading there in a few hours. All those goodies, along with a quality bike (practically still new) is certainly worth the 6k
It's possible since the prev. owner put a pipe on it, it might have a flash tune, EJK or Power Commander to go with it that isn't jumping out at you. That's something you would want to know about if you did get it and it would surely make the bike more desirable for the money. 

Beemer

Definitely. The guy didn't seem to up on any modifications when I spoke with him but when I actually get to spend some time with it I'll do some poking and prodding. I would be surprised if it was running some kind of flash, especially with that exhaust but who knows.

Well I didnt take the bike home today...but plan on taking it home either Wednesday or Thursday!! Got to go on a test ride and wow what an easy bike to ride. The slow speed maneuverability is awesome. Such a comfy bike to ride compared to my old Cbr. Wednesday can't come soon enough!

Put a deposit down on it for them to hold, as long as they don't sell it out from under me all will be well!

Well I did it... I joined the team! Officially an FZ07 owner. Got to take it home today and I couldn't be happier!

1F8C9DB5-687E-4675-AEEA-3C86941E5838.jpg
468A18B0-2BDF-4BD8-A93E-18EFC54638EB.jpg

Just another toy/project to add to my list haha. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Archived