The MT-07 Forum

Help! Error Code: 5d__12 :'(

s0shi

So I bought a second hand FZ07 a few days ago... When buying it, it wouldn't start because of a dead battery. (However the display and other lights still turned on) There were no error codes or anything else wrong with it. I bought it (decided I would just replace the battery), bump started it, and rode it home (30 min ride). When I got home and turned it off, I wondered if I might have charged it enough for it to turn back on; I turned the key back to on (the display and all lights turned on) but the engine did not start, it didn't even try to start. That's when I noticed the error code "5d__12". I decided it might be the battery's problem.

Today I bought a new battery and installed it but the exact same problem occurs. I looked at the error code list and found:
"Crankshaft position sensor: no normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor"
I've taken off the side fairings and checked the wire to the sensor and there were no frays or anything as far as I could tell.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this error code, or has any ideas on how to fix. I've searched through pages of google results with no luck.
I might need to just take it into the dealer, hopefully I didn't buy something horrible :'( :'( :'(

*EDIT* I'm an idiot and my side stand was up.. Bike is on a rear tire stand and starts fine now ? good luck with your bike OP!

Strange enough I literally just went to start my bike right now to take it for a little spin as the weather here in Ontario Canada is a warm 7* Celsius lol and my bike wouldn't start, noticed the same code on my dash as well. It started fine on Friday, I didn't ride it but had it running for about 10 mins. It's been on a battery tender since I bought it in Jan of this year.

I did get my ECU flashed by 2WDW a few weeks ago and the bike ran fine after that. Not sure what is going on so I figured I'd chime in and say you're not the only one experiencing this code.

My bike is a 2016 with only 3200km on it. I do have a Akrapovic Carbon exhaust, 2wheeldyno flash and modified snorkel for modifications.

according to the service manual, that sensor should have a resistance between 228 and 342 ohms. It specifies that you put the positive lead on the gray wire and the neg on the black wire.

If the resistance is out of this range - replace the sensor.

Looks like the harness for this thing is integral with the stator's harness and bolted up with the stator. If it's faulty, you'll need to remove that left side engine cover. The stator and sensor will be bolted to the cover from the inside. You'll likely have to drain oil - unless you can tilt the bike to the right. And I'd have a new gasket before opening this up.

These sensors are usually pretty reliable. Guess it's possible one of the mount screws somehow came loose. These sensors have to be at the proper distance to the rotor to read properly. If the resistance is ok, that might be an issue

I've seen bad things happen when batteries are run down and people continue to try and start the bike - dunno if this is somehow linked, but I'd advise against it.

Archived