The MT-07 Forum

Experience with drilling exhaust?

level41

Anyone tried drilling the exhaust, without using a fuel controller?

I'm sure a small hole doesn't need any fuel controller, the question is just how much can you drill, before the bike starts running too lean between 3.5k and 5.5k rpm? (This seems to be the section where the bike runs leanest).

Guest 2wheeler

Plenty of reading on the forum about this - just use the word "drill" in the search window

From what I have read on those posts, the take away is: just buy a pipe or leave it stock

Yea I drilled six 3/16" (basically 1/4") holes around the exit of my exhaust. I thought I made a huge difference at first. I just heard my bike on video today and realized...it made little to no difference at all. My headers also discolored. Some say that's normal for this bike, I'm not sure if it would've done it anyway or if it was due to running too lean because of the holes I drilled. I'd say drilling the holes is really not worth it at all. Just get a new exhaust because stock just simply won't do

• Premium Member

I hear 2 (not 3) blasts with some 00-buckshot and few really good smashes with a 20lb sledge to subtlety change the flow gives +.1 hp, superior sound and eventually over-cooks and shatters your engine.
I say screw the exhaust, just rip the whole thing right off, headers and all and jam a couple of perforated beer cans in there instead.

What ever happened to that good ol "Tank sticker removal" thread?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I ran my bike w/0 a fuel controller and a drilled exhaust , 6 holes for like idk 12k miles and no problems. I did get around to adding an ejk tho whicvih bumped my power a little more and smoothened things out.

If you plan on getting an aftermarket exhaust and can't wait for some better noise go ahead and do it. 1/2 to 1/4 inch holes, mine vary in diameter and it sounds fkn nice I don't care what anyone says.

• Premium Member

I cut my exhaust totally off lol had it that way for a few days even rode it to work 130 mile round trip haha it was loud as F. But to be honest it ran fine scared the crap out of a ton of people on the road thats for sure.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived