The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 kept up with a 900cc

level41

Doing some stoplight drag racing with an older carbureted Yamaha bike, 900-1000 cc, and my bike could keep up!

Seems like the 400lbs really works wonders!
From my estimation, the bigger bike had at least 100lbs more weight.
And while zero to sixty, we were pretty equal, I'm sure he'd surpass me at higher (100+) mphs.

I was just happy to surprise him, that his bike accelerated just as fast as mine upto 60mph.

According to the internet the FZ-07 makes it to 60 in about 3.4 seconds. The R6 is about the same speed, and the R1's are around 3 seconds. I think it has more to do with us needing to shift during acceleration to 100km/h more so than the lack of power. now as soon as you surpass 100km/h (62mph) the larger more powerful bikes with higher redlines will walk away from us, because of gearing, power, and typically more aerodynamic designs.

Another thing to take under consideration is that torquey bikes like ours are less "technical" on the acceleration part. The bike pulls hard from really low, meaning that you get some decent acceleration even if you're not a drag expert who knows much about technique (keeping the revs high, feathering the clutch, etc). What I'm saying is, to the everyday rider an FZ07 can probably give better and more consistent 0-60 times than a 600 I4 with 50% more hp.

Yeah..
I have a 17t front sprocket, and am thinking to shave off an additional 10% on the rear sprocket. Less shifting. In fact, the bike does 0 to 60 in the first two gears.

Taking 3t off the rear is just for easier highway cruising.

I can see that happening. Last week I had seen a video on you tube of some kid trying to get his best 0-60 time and he didn't launch or shift well so depending on the rider, a bad-ass bike can get chewed up by someone with experience. That video inspired me to go out on a country road and video my 0-60 times to see if I could demolish his best time but unfortunately, I didn't have enough room on my h.d. for the video so I couldn't load it. I'm installing my new h.d. today so maybe I'll get some new video (and better 0-60 times ;) ).

I have to say, even though the FZ-07 has great torque and it can make up for some lack of experience in drag racing it can be tricky getting a good launch off the line. Crack that throttle back too far too fast in 1st and the front end will rise up like Mussolini. Starting in 2nd gear should help as it's been mentioned before, I will try that and compare my times between 1st and 2nd. When I put the video up y'all can cackle and laugh at my mistakes or lack of protection heh! ;) Should be fun anyways!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Start in 2nd off the line and crack it open, the wheel will come up, but lean over the tank hard, It should come up no more than 6-8 inches. With practice you can beat all the 600 I4's and depending on the rider most 1000's without LC. Launching a 1000 well can be frighting to say the least. After 50-60 you toast, but then again so is the other guys pride :-)

'16 FZ07

Guest 2wheeler

I admit it... I'm turning into a wuss in my older age in that I have no plans on doing drag starts with my FZ. I'm still good to go on dirt bikes though 8-)

Having said that, what I do like to do with my FZ is have 2nd gear rolling drag races. With stock gearing, 2nd - 4th is about 20-100mph which makes for a nice race. Last summer I surprised the crap out of a buddy of mine where I slightly beat him doing that, and he was on a Ducati 796 Hypermotard that had a pipe and was flashed. I actually expected him to fairly walk away from me, but I got him on the intital throttle crack, and the rest was history. Oh yeah, that guy was a winning expert class MXer in the day, so he knows how to ride.

I love torque!!!

The one thing about rolling drag races is that it is much more the bike than the rider.  Not everyone knows how to, or is comfortable with, doing a dead stop drag start. That is definitely one of those skills that is a LOT easier to learn on a dirt bike!

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 is no slouch in the 1/8 mile dept but in the 1/4 mile it just loses steam to be competitive with a crotch rocket...and yes skip 1st gear if you are doing drag races from a dead stop or everyday day riding since 1st and 2nd gear are nearly identical 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

From a dig the the FZ07 is quick and the bike is loads of fun but..... I wish it had more at higher speed when passing like going 75 80 and I want to pass not that is super slow I just wish it had more. When I want to pass someone I want it to happen now, but everything up to that it has it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

"Stoplight drags" also rely a lot on the skill/reaction time of the rider, as well as the bike.

From a dig the the FZ07 is quick and the bike is loads of fun but..... I wish it had more at higher speed when passing like going 75 80 and I want to pass not that is super slow I just wish it had more. When I want to pass someone I want it to happen now, but everything up to that it has it.
In 5th or 4th, it's pretty fast at those speeds. 6.5-8.5k RPM has that bump of power.

I've gone with a 15t front sprocket and it did wonders. Losing a few miles of top speed isn't important in a naked bike after all. Now the bike is running closer to its top torque at those speeds.

• Premium Member
I've gone with a 15t front sprocket and it did wonders. Losing a few miles of top speed isn't important in a naked bike after all. Now the bike is running closer to its top torque at those speeds.
I solved it with a gsxr 1000  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Guest 2wheeler
I solved it with a gsxr 1000
LMAO - Arguably the best reply ever!

AlbatrossCafe
Start in 2nd off the line and crack it open, the wheel will come up, but lean over the tank hard, It should come up no more than 6-8 inches. With practice you can beat all the 600 I4's and depending on the rider most 1000's without LC. Launching a 1000 well can be frighting to say the least. After 50-60 you toast, but then again so is the other guys pride :-)
So you think you can do 0-60 faster being in 2nd the whole time than starting in first and shifting? 
It is an interesting idea... as the shift has to be pretty perfect to get a good 0-60 time when using both gears. I also have found 1st to be very difficult to work with as I cannot open the throttle all the way without flipping backwards, so I never feel like I can get the full meat out of it when going for max accel (I always have to open it at like 85% and cannot slip the clutch)

I'll have to give your method a shot.

• Premium Member

I skip 1st gear because they are too close in mph at my shift point and by skiping 1st gear you don't have to quickly shift between 1st and 2nd since the fz-07 has plenty of torque to launch off the line in 2nd gear...this way you spend more time focusing on the first 60 feet ather than shift into 2nd at 60 feet out...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

With a 17t it takes the bike slightly longer to shift to the next year, but as long as you lean forward, the front wheel stays put.
If I'm sitting upright, I wheelie in 1st.

Also, with a 15t you'd have to surpass the redline to get to 60, or shift an extra gear to 3rd gear.

Even with a 17t, you'll just tip past the powerband (where acceleration is fastest).

Probably the 17t front, or a 17t front and a -1t rear, will give you fastest 0-60.

Archived