The MT-07 Forum

Hi from Texas

mjdavis1994

mjdavis1994

So a little background info::

I've ridden on the street for a mere 4 weeks, been riding ATVs and Dirt Bikes since I was about 10. I'm 22 now and finally got everything squared away and was able to purchase a motorcycle. Took the MSF course, went and purchased a riding jacket, helmet and gloves. I wanted a bike that I wouldn't get bored with easily but wouldn't be too much for a "new" rider. Talked to my brother who's been riding for a while and he recommended a Yamaha FZ 07 or FZ 09. I wasn't crazy on the naked bike look till I went and saw one in person. I loved the overall design for the 07 over the 09 and started contemplating new or used. A lot of used ones were going for about 5 grand with no upgrades and lowish miles so I went to a few dealerships and they all wanted 7500-7900 for an 07. My brothers dealership in Colorado worked a deal with me over the phone and out the door got my 07 for 6400. Already had frame sliders and a tail tidy kit preordered so that got put on as soon as we got back to his house. Racked up some miles so I could knock the service out for the ride back. Here we sit now 4 weeks down the road and 2500 miles later and I love this bike. It handles well for my type of riding. I've only seen one other FZ in my area so I looked for a forum on 07s and stumbled upon this one. I've got lots of plans, M4 exhaust and tune hopefully to come in a month or so. Shortly after I want bar end mirrors, led headlight, drag bar, integrated tail light, led Signals in the front, upgraded shocks, cargo rack and bag for behind the rear seat, engine cage, and paint the tank plastics graphite. I purchased the silver & blue/purple accents for the repaint later down the road. Love that graphite/blue color scheme.

This bike is a wheelie monster in 1st and 2nd! Can't seem to get it up in 3rd even for clutch ups.

If anyone is in the El Paso area and wants to ride I'd be down! I'll be PCSing to Hawaii next year in April so I'll have to find a new group to ride with then but that's a little down the road. If anyone has any recommendations on upgrades or brands I'm all ears :)

mjdavis1994

Yeah I got the extended warranty too knowing I'd be riding as much as I am. What's that you say? Unlimited miles for 5 years for 600 bucks? Yeah I think I'll take that. xD this bike is pretty confidence inspiring never thought I'd be doing wheelies 3 weeks in.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome! Since you are going to paint the tank panels graphite, you can also purchase the Yamaha Liquid graphite tank panels for around $160. If your painting skills are not that great, this may be a better option for you. There is info on the forum to help you with this mod.

mjdavis1994
Welcome! Since you are going to paint the tank panels graphite, you can also purchase the Yamaha Liquid graphite tank panels for around $160. If your painting skills are not that great, this may be a better option for you. There is info on the forum to help you with this mod.

Thanks for the tip! Will check the forum shortly. I've got above average painting skills but don't have access to a gun and compressor anymore. May kinda be hard to justify buying one if it's only 160 for the panels.

Welcome from Texas! Unfortunately I'm up in DFW. I've had my bike for about 8 months and just hit 1700mi today, 2500mi in one month O.o

mjdavis1994
Welcome from Texas! Unfortunately I'm up in DFW. I've had my bike for about 8 months and just hit 1700mi today, 2500mi in one month O.o

Well maybe we can go riding some other day xD you're like 8 hours away. And yeah I ride a lot. I come up with excuses to ride after work, so she doesn't loose her mind she comes with me every once and a while :P

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived