The MT-07 Forum

Scraping exhaust

mitchell2430

mitchell2430

Has anyone else had the issue of scraping the exhaust, I've put on the titanium Akra and scraped it last weekend. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing haha

mitchell2430

I've taken the little things off the pegs and I scrape my pegs all the time so they have worn away a bit so clearly the exhaust was the next thing to hit

If you can hang off the bike more and work on body position you can keep the bike more upright in sharp corners and have less chances of scraping the pegs or exhaust.

mitchell2430

If you can hang off the bike more and work on body position you can keep the bike more upright in sharp corners and have less chances of scraping the pegs or exhaust.
Yeah that's the plan, my mate just told me to move my centre of gravity from side to side which I'll need to start trying next ride

Yes. Do some searching on body position, looks like your getting into deeper lean angles and should look into some mild "hanging off"

From your pic it almost looks like the exhaust is scraping towards the bottom? Weird spot, do you have your rear preload set at all? Perhaps getting too much suspension compression in the turn.

mitchell2430
Yes. Do some searching on body position, looks like your getting into deeper lean angles and should look into some mild "hanging off" 
From your pic it almost looks like the exhaust is scraping towards the bottom? Weird spot, do you have your rear preload set at all? Perhaps getting too much suspension compression in the turn.

Yeah I think I'll start trying that and research it a bit. It was very soft but I've hardened up the rear suspension to try and avoid it but it's still happening.

You will be able to feel the right amount you should hang off, i mild corners your gonna schooch half your ass off the seat and drop your elbow lowering your head and chests down and forward. It feels weird at first but then more you feel it the easier and more natural it gets. lots of videos online about it. The results however are a safer and quicker more controllable cornering execution. It's like working with your bike rather than forcing it.

The rear is rather low on our bikes stock. If you can, try getting an adjustable aftermarket shock. I was scraping down the kick stand, but after I raised the rear I had much better lean clearance.

Also body positioning helps immensely. Take a look at https://lifeatlean.com. They have great articles and riding advice.

• Premium Member

What do you weigh and at what setting do you have your rear spring set???

Archived