The MT-07 Forum

Bike Lean when on it's Kick Stand?

blackout

• Premium Member

Anyone else find that their bike is leaning a little too much after increasing the ride height with a shorter suspension link?  I swear mine is leaning too much and thinking of lengthening the kick stand.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

A picture of your situation would help. Cruisers lean a lot more than sport bikes though. I always felt the FZ didn't lean enough but I was comparing it to my Shadow.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Interesting, never thought about it but will take a look as soon as I get the bike off the lift, I am installing my homemade version of the lower link (4 position) so will ck out the sidestand. I will add that I'd rather have a little to much than to little...in most things.

• Premium Member

My problem is that I park in the grass and gravel many times and then it gets a little worse.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Ah true, well if you're going to lengthen it then add a little larger foot also, so it won't sink in as much. Wouldn't need much to make a difference.

• Premium Member
Ah true, well if you're going to lengthen it then add a little larger foot also, so it won't sink in as much. Wouldn't need much to make a difference.
I think I will do that.  Add a larger foot that is 1/4" thick and see where that puts the angle.  Thanks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Kick stand pads work wonders when parked on a soft surface...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

When riders lower their bike because the seat height is too high for them, they usually need to shorten the kickstand. If they do not shorten the kickstand, the bike stands almost upright and is easy to tip over. Since you raised the height it makes sense that the stock kickstand will cause the bike to lean lower.

• Premium Member

3x3 inch square of plywood is in my bag at all times for parking on soft stuff, the FZ leans less then most bikes so your probably good. A pic might help us out. always remember on the soft stuff, use a pad.

'16 FZ07

I keep a piece of ply too for gravel parking. If you adjust the foot it will not need much -1/8" possibly. I lowered a bike an inch and had to grind off about that.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
When riders lower their bike because the seat height is too high for them, they usually need to shorten the kickstand. If they do not shorten the kickstand, the bike stands almost upright and is easy to tip over. Since you raised the height it makes sense that the stock kickstand will cause the bike to lean lower. 

Exactly. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived