The MT-07 Forum

My bike drinks like a fish....

7inthe6

So im not sure where to post this.

I have a brand new '17 fz07, i did 2 15km ( 9.3 miles ) rides ( 50kph speeds / 31mph speeds ) and a 92km ride (57 miles) (80-100kph speeds / 50-62mph speeds) the other day.

Both rides were on cool days ( 5c / 41f weather )
I got the bike with a full tank of gas, after 120km / 74.5miles, my gas gauge is at the last 2 bars...

seeing as most of you have had this type of bike for a while now, do these numbers seem normal? do i need to run a few tanks through it to get proper figures?

ive been reading and people claim 270-320km/tank ( 167/198miles/tank ) just seems like a crazy amount of fuel in such little distance... seems like 160km (100miles) and ill be out of gas...

To anyone that can shed some light on this, thank you!

'17 Yamaha FZ07

• Premium Member

You are thinkinh the gas gauge is going down like in a car...not the case with thr FZ-07, i dont pay attention till the F trip light flashes and i mainly go by miles to let me know how much i can still ride

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Fill it with gas and you'll find its about half full. The gauge is only generally accurate (tells you if you have or don't have gas) If it's half full you're right in range. It's far too early to worry. Run a few tanks thru and you'll find your milage is the same as you mention for others. 
Was it full cause the dealer said so or did you FILL it? I bet you're fine.

Just ride it. 
Cheers

Fill up to full. Reset your trip meter. Ride until the F trip flashes. Ride another 40 kilometers. Gas up. See how much your trip meter tallied. Rely more on your trip meter.

All of my bikes have fairly bad estimation for its fuel gauge indicator. My Kawasaki is worse than the Yamaha. Thing will lose one bar after 2 miles (3 kilometers).

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

norcal, yes i am reading the gauge as i would in my car lol
i figured it was accurate.

mossrider, i havent filled it yet the dealer said it was full and when it was delivered the digital readout showed full bars.

duenan, i wasnt aware of the horrible accuracy of the digital display. thanks for the headsup.

tomorrow should be nice weather im gonna go for another ride, maybe ill fill it up on the way home and ill report back here to confirm numbers.

Thanks again guys :)

'17 Yamaha FZ07

bigdaddybane

The fuel gauge is a jacks***t. The first three bars are holding for a while, fourth and fifth disappear in no time. I found the last bar (before you hit reserve) being somewhat accurate. I made 43km on F trip last summer.

Yeah, 2 bars is like 1 gallon or so.
THe remaining 2 bars is another gallon.
And then there's another gallon in there somehow.

What does your trip computer say about average milage. It's quite accurate and even a bit on the pessimistic side at least on my bike.

The gauge is funny like that, it's probably alright but I must say, you can get better gas mileage with ethanol free gas - just saying. :D

Wawa_ethanol_free.jpg

Beemer

So i got out yesterday after hitting 174km the F trip came on.... I have a feeling the dealer put just enough for the readout to show full but didnt actually fill it up.. ill run a couple tanks through it and we'll see what it averages ???

'17 Yamaha FZ07

I usually refill to full at 1 bar. It gives me 2 gal, and 150 miles.
The .Of counter says I'm at 60 mpg, but with the 17t front, I'm actually hitting 75mpg us avg, when I baby my bike.

At other times I hit 60mpg us, when the counter tells me I'm at 50mpg avg.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out the hard way that the bike does about 70km in ftrip. In all honesty, ive had tanks do 360+km on a regular basis so once you break in the engine its fine. Just depends how you ride it. Also, im about 140kg so im basically riding with a passenger all the time.

I found out the bike has a lot more power than it actually needs in final gear.
Been riding on the highway where I hit 60MPH at 4400RPM, and 75MPH on the interstates at just over 5500RPM.
All indicated, because I have a 17 (+1 from stock) tooth front sprocket, that adds about 6% of speed to that.
I found overall the RPMs still 10% too high on the highway and interstates, since I do mostly 70 on the highways, and 85 to 90 on the interstates over here.

Stock, the bike runs really well in the city of 35-45MPH roads; but with a 17t front sprocket, RPMs are tight at those speeds in 6th gear (I'd have to downshift to 5th).

So my mods will be for highway and interstate riding, since this is my highway/interstate bike; and in the city, i'll be constricted upto 5th gear.

I'm thinking to either go with a 39t rear sprocket, or a 38t.
The 39t gives me the 10% I want (added to the 6% of the front gear, comes out to 17% of gear difference from stock).
Or get the 38t, for a more clean 20% speed difference with stock.

20% gear difference, usually results in 20% lower RPM, and 20% better gas mileage in final gear.
From experience, that number is better at lower RPMs, and will be closer to 5-10% improvement in MPG at the higher speeds.

So, all to say that with current 50MPG average, you can actually get 60MPG average out of an FZ; which means you can go about 20-25 Miles longer on a tank.

trainspottingbaby
So i got out yesterday after hitting 174km the F trip came on.... I have a feeling the dealer put just enough for the readout to show full but didnt actually fill it up.. ill run a couple tanks through it and we'll see what it averages ???
I went out for my first long-ish ride on my 2017 07, and was alarmed to notice that I was suddenly at my final bar, at 150km, with no gas station in sight. Later I came upon a Shell gas station, at 160km.  
It cost only $9.00 to fill the tank to max capacity, and only 7 litres went in, so it must have still been at half capacity before I filled it. I can't really understand how a fuel gauge can be that wildly inaccurate! More than half full and registering only 1 bar?? I really hope it improves.

I went out for my first long-ish ride on my 2017 07, and was alarmed to notice that I was suddenly at my final bar, at 150km, with no gas station in sight. Later I came upon a Shell gas station, at 160km.  
It cost only $9.00 to fill the tank to max capacity, and only 7 litres went in, so it must have still been at half capacity before I filled it. I can't really understand how a fuel gauge can be that wildly inaccurate! More than half full and registering only 1 bar?? I really hope it improves.

Hey trainspotting,

I'm at almost 1000km now ready to go for my first service at Yamaha.

The fuel gauge improved after the 3rd tank.

My first fillup was the same as yours, 9$ to fill, barely any gas needed and I have the f trip blinking for 20km roughly. Second tank lasted about 220km before I got gas which was still only around 11L, and now I can get about 270+ before it shows empty.

I think it's just programmed into the computer, dunno why. But nothing to worry about ??

'17 Yamaha FZ07

Why not?
The bike is able to cruise without lugging at those speeds.
If I don't need to accelerate, I always try to remain in 6 the gear, to speeds as low as 35mph on the stock gears.
40mph with taller gears, as it adds more stress to the engine.

Different riding habits.
99% of the time, my FZ07 engine RPM is between 4,500 - 8,500.
That's including all of the typical situation on a daily routine ride, except for coming to a stop, of course.

Myself, I'll typically be in 3rd gear while cruising at 35mph, and could not imagine feeling a need to be in 4th, 5th, or 6th at that road speed.

I'll shift into 6th once in a blue moon when I ride down an Interstate highway (usually for a short distance as I don't ride Interstates much).
I want to be doing 65mph, minimum, before feeling a need to shift into 6th gear.

Actually, I practically never "ride by the tachometer", or keep glancing at the tachometer while concentrating on my riding.

Instead, once I learn the characteristics of a bike, I do it by feel and intuition.

I can relate to level41 in that I prefer to ride with as little revs as possible. I probably stay below 4500 rpm 99% of the time. An indicated 4500 rpm = an indicated 105 kph = 65 mph. Speedo seems to indicate about 3 kph / 2 mph fast at all speeds, but I need GPS verification.

The engine still pulls strongly in 6th gear as low as 30 mph and will accelerate briskly, but it trembles quite a bit when doing so. This means, at least in my experience, one is putting unwanted load on the engine. For cruising it's OK, but even mild acceleration or climbing hills seems best done above 3000 rpm, or better yet above 3500 rpm for full power. So I am currently re-programming myself to use the gearbox more and carry more revs than I would typically do on most bikes. In this regard it is more similar to my old XT600 single, which was very unhappy to be lugged under 3000 rpm.

I was playing with those side of the road speed meter things, my bike is 3-5kph off (speedo reads 3-5kph more than digital sign)

About cruising, i too prefer low rpms, the lower the better... if i cruise 4th gear and i let off the throttle the engine braking is so strong its annoying, if im in 6th cruising along and i close the throttle there is almost no engine braking and it doesnt feel like a bull ride machine trying to throw you over the bars everytime you let off lol

'17 Yamaha FZ07

Different people - different habits. I never check MPG on a motorcycle, I know only what I have to spend about $5 on a gas every Friday and I am happy with it. I ride trough the city everyday, so 2-3-4 gears is common, engine works usually in 3000-5000 rpms range. I feel myself uncomfortable when I can't teleport from somebody's blind spot in a second or two. With 5-6th gears my body don't feel any "g-forces" from accelerating, some people feel the "hard pull" from 35mph on a fifth gear, I feel this like a rocking baby before sleep.
5-6th gears are rare used by me for relaxed enjoying by exploring of some local roads outside the city.

• Premium Member

If your bike is drinking like a fish, what is it doing in the lake?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The bike basically has all it's power from 3k RPM onwards. But if you want to avoid lugging and unnecessary engine vibrations, 3,5k RPM is better.
From 3.5-6k rpm it basically has the same acceleration, but significantly less vibrations around 4k RPM.
I usually rev to 4k or 4.5k RPM, then shift.
Once I'm at cruising speed, I shift to final gear (usually around 3-3.5k RPM).
If I need quick acceleration, it takes me less than .5 seconds to downshift 1 gear, or a full second for 2 gears.
1 gear is enough for rapid acceleration, and 2 gears is for hooligan overtakes.
After that, I'll shift back to a higher gear.

1 full second is not bad, since the FZ has fuel injected and almost an immediate throttle response.
My old Suzuki GS500, carbureted, took about 1,5 seconds before it would fully respond to throttle.
They used lifters in their throttle bodies, that lifted as the air came in; so they lagged tremendously.

Archived