The MT-07 Forum

Scratchy feeling at low speeds

xyu

2016 MT-07 (ABS).  Every time I'm riding at low speed i can hear and feel it best. It's a kind of scratchy feeling. Especially noticeable on the foot pegs. It feels like it's coming from the engine.  Could it be a loose chain? When I get up to speed it's completely gone. However at low speeds it comes back. I really don't know how to explain it.  It's a scratchy feeling when I accelerate, not smooth like it was before. It isn't vibrations, and the handlebars / grips feel almost nothing. But the sound is there, and the feeling is there too. 

• Premium Member

The frame is flexing?? The foot peg are not solid mounted but rather isolated by a rubber bushing...swingarm pivot joint might need some lubing...lose chain dragging on swingarm...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I'd go with a chain lube and adjustment if you haven't done one recently. Everything I've taken off this bike is torqued and loctited to heck and back, hard to imagine something loose but who knows.
While messing with chain, make sure top run of chain is riding and centered on chain guard and not on any part of swing arm. This guard is thin and flexy and tends to bow out, I and others have used adhesive or dbl. sticky backed accessory mounting tape to keep it centered.

[div]More chain lube? Clean chain & lube??? I would take off the front sprocket cover and take a look at things there since the noise is coming from around there. [/div]

Beemer

[div]More chain lube? Clean chain & lube??? I would take off the front sprocket cover and take a look at things there since the noise is coming from around there. [/div]

Is that something fairly easy to do? I lubed the chain about 1 month ago. However, it may have been in some rain since then. If taking off the cover is fairly easy I'll do that. It seems like it would be something with the chain if it's only happening at low revs. I seem to notice it even more if I'm going slow in a higher gear, say 3rd gear.

Is that something fairly easy to do? I lubed the chain about 1 month ago. However, it may have been in some rain since then. If taking off the cover is fairly easy I'll do that. It seems like it would be something with the chain if it's only happening at low revs. I seem to notice it even more if I'm going slow in a higher gear, say 3rd gear.
I haven't taken mine off but it should only be a few screws to take out and pull the cover off. It's just so you can see how the chain is resting on the sprocket and also get a look at the area around it. The more you say the more I think your chain has simply stretched and needs adjusted. Check your owners manual on chain adjustment to check to see if your chain has stretched and needs adjustment. 

Beemer

It's just a plastic cover with a few Allen bolts in it. Just make sure you get the wires behind it back in place when you reinstall. There is a bundle on the left hand side that the cover holds away from the sprocket.

I haven't taken mine off but it should only be a few screws to take out and pull the cover off. It's just so you can see how the chain is resting on the sprocket and also get a look at the area around it. The more you say the more I think your chain has simply stretched and needs adjusted. Check your owners manual on chain adjustment to check to see if your chain has stretched and needs adjustment.
It's just a plastic cover with a few Allen bolts in it. Just make sure you get the wires behind it back in place when you reinstall. There is a bundle on the left hand side that the cover holds away from the sprocket.

• Premium Member

Definitely check behind the front sprocket cover. I had a rock get wedged in there, the chain wore a neat little groove in the stone.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I can't confirm this but I know the EU bikes got that airbox flapper thingmajimmy, is that making the noise???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I can't confirm this but I know the EU bikes got that airbox flapper thingmajimmy, is that making the noise???
No I don't think so, I'm in EU and I don't have any of that noise.

Archived