The MT-07 Forum

a year w/ the FZ

martyinaustin

martyinaustin

well, it's been just about a year, well over 7K miles, and 2 FZ-07s (the fist one was wrecked along with
me in a ditch in August).  i am more in love with this bike than ever.  i have Renthall low bars, heated
grips, a few other mods and ends, and that's about it...but it's still brining me daily joy and making
me a better rider as well.  i've really "turned a corner" in the using-your-butt to turn technique with
this bike.

yeah, someday a Street Triple or possibly a BMW...or hell...if i win a lottery a Duc...but
for the rest of this year i'm still in love w/ the baby in the garage.

carry on...

marty

• Premium Member

I keep looking at other bikes, just because... and I still can't find anything that would be a real "improvement" on the FZ. I agree, the new street triple would be nice, but nah... I've been tempted to add a long distance sport tourer to the quiver, but it wouldn't replace the FZ.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

I have had my FZ-07 for more than two and a half years now and am still very happy. I often stop by the dealership's to look around but have no plans to replace her any time soon.

well, it's been just about a year, well over 7K miles, and 2 FZ-07s (the fist one was wrecked along with me in a ditch in August).  i am more in love with this bike than ever.  i have Renthall low bars, heated
grips, a few other mods and ends, and that's about it...but it's still brining me daily joy and making
me a better rider as well.  i've really "turned a corner" in the using-your-butt to turn technique with
this bike.

yeah, someday a Street Triple or possibly a BMW...or hell...if i win a lottery a Duc...but
for the rest of this year i'm still in love w/ the baby in the garage.

carry on...

marty

Sounds like you are still liking the bike, but if you ever decide to sell send me a pm. The armor grey fz07 seems fairly scarce on Craigslist.

Guest 2wheeler
I've been tempted to add a long distance sport tourer to the quiver, but it wouldn't replace the FZ.
I heard about this woman named Tiffani who has done over 40,000 miles in a year, and hit 49 states on a sport tourer which is a strong sign her bike must be a heck of a sport tourer.  
She rides one of those Yamaha FZ-07s  :D

bigdaddybane
I keep looking at other bikes, just because... and I still can't find anything that would be a real "improvement" on the FZ. I agree, the new street triple would be nice, but nah... I've been tempted to add a long distance sport tourer to the quiver, but it wouldn't replace the FZ.
That pretty much summarize my take on FZ07. I might one day shed some cash on a sport tourer but 07 is a keeper ... 

[div]I love my bike too but the other day some racy sob in a car turned left from his 'straight only' lane and just about rammed me in the left turn lane while I was turning. It's going to take some idiot like that to take me off my bike permanently. I don't mean coffin permanent but I'm sure I will be in something like a convertible, Mazda Miata afterwards. (nice Fl. car and sporty fun)[/div]

Beemer

• Premium Member
I've been tempted to add a long distance sport tourer to the quiver, but it wouldn't replace the FZ.
I heard about this woman named Tiffani who has done over 40,000 miles in a year, and hit 49 states on a sport tourer which is a strong sign her bike must be a heck of a sport tourer.  
She rides one of those Yamaha FZ-07s  :D

I know it can be done, but horses for courses.  I'm thinking more like an Interceptor, GSX-R1000F..., maybe even an FJ-09.  I'd hate to dilute the look and feel of my FZ by adding what I'd need to to make it a comfy distance touring machine. 

• Premium Member
[div]I love my bike too but the other day some racy sob in a car turned left from his 'straight only' lane and just about rammed me in the left turn lane while I was turning. It's going to take some idiot like that to take me off my bike permanently. I don't mean coffin permanent but I'm sure I will be in something like a convertible, Mazda Miata afterwards. (nice Fl. car and sporty fun)[/div]
I'd like something like that too.  I already have a Civic Si that is a hoot, but getting old, and the convertible part isn't that attractive to me because of where I live.  ... but small drivers car FTW!  Toyota 86, Focus RS,  Civic Type R. :) (it still won't replace the FZ).

topazsparrow
I'm in the same boat... plus the headlights on the street and speed triple are hideous. 

• Global Moderator
I'm in the same boat... plus the headlights on the street and speed triple are hideous.
The Triumphs looked so good with the round headlights.  I hated to see them change them.  The instruments on the new Street Triple looks nice though.  

• Global Moderator

Alfa romeo 124 abarth.... mx5 frame, 1.4 turbo from the abarth 500, and perfectly set up suspension

Go test drive one if you want a blast in a cabrio

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Alfa romeo 124 abarth.... mx5 frame, 1.4 turbo from the abarth 500, and perfectly set up suspension

I'm sure that's a great car and I try not to be a creature of habit but my 1st love was a Mazda. She did me like no other car I've owned so I'm partial, even though other cars may be better. Also, used Miata's seem to be much more abundant where I'm at. I don't know, I still want a small truck with a full length bed to haul my kayak around in easier. I also want a boat, one with a motor and trailer. I can't have them all, lord help me! I've digressed. I'll let myself out. 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
I'm sure that's a great car and I try not to be a creature of habit but my 1st love was a Mazda. She did me like no other car I've owned so I'm partial, even though other cars may be better. Also, used Miata's seem to be much more abundant where I'm at. I don't know, I still want a small truck with a full length bed to haul my kayak around in easier. I also want a boat, one with a motor and trailer. I can't have them all, lord help me! I've digressed. I'll let myself out.

Im trying to say its a miata with a different motor and even more character

I want a small beater truck too...
Need something to haul mine and @phicurious86's bikes to the track with

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Just recently sold my FZ after 2 1/2 years of ownership. I'm taking back our Street Triple from my wife and we'll be looking for a new bike for her.

The FZ was a good bike, but just didn't love it like I do the Triumph. Do yourself a favor and try one if you're thinking about it. And I love the ugly bug eyes on my 2012. :P

• Premium Member

Beemer, I've had a couple Miatas and I just didn't fit either and they never really "moved" me. Each person is different in this regard. I special-ordered a '99 Sport to get the color I wanted and avoid options I didn't. Though a neat little car in many respects, I knew it wasn't for keeps. Everyone in Miataville said to "...drive it like it was meant to be," meaning to the redline, etc. but, all I found myself doing was hitting the rev-limiter and still not "feeling" it. After only a couple years I traded it for a special-order C5 Vette for the same reasons and it's still in my shop. In the meantime my wife decided she wanted to go Landspeed Racing at the Salt Flats but, unlike me she said she couldn't drive others cars. So, we bought her (her choice) a MegaMonster Miata (Kenny Bell supercharged, Ford 5-liter). It was a blast on the street but it still didn't physically fit me. However, it came a lot closer to "moving" me than the stock 4-cylinder versions. The point of my rambling? Well, basically, we are all different in most ways and HAVE to go with what each prefers. My take is that nothing is an adequate substitute for a bike; I've another open roadster (no doors, even) often likened to a bike by the uninformed but no matter, 4-wheels just are NOT the same... for me... that is. But, I bought my first 2-wheeler in '61--a 2-year old Cushman Eagle, so whada I know? All the best Beemer, if you find you MUST forgo a bike--and, my sympathy.

Beemer, I've had a couple Miatas and I just didn't fit either and they never really "moved" me. Each person is different in this regard. I special-ordered a '99 Sport to get the color I wanted and avoid options I didn't. Though a neat little car in many respects, I knew it wasn't for keeps. Everyone in Miataville said to "...drive it like it was meant to be," meaning to the redline, etc. but, all I found myself doing was hitting the rev-limiter and still not "feeling" it. After only a couple years I traded it for a special-order C5 Vette for the same reasons and it's still in my shop. In the meantime my wife decided she wanted to go Landspeed Racing at the Salt Flats but, unlike me she said she couldn't drive others cars. So, we bought her (her choice) a MegaMonster Miata (Kenny Bell supercharged, Ford 5-liter). It was a blast on the street but it still didn't physically fit me. However, it came a lot closer to "moving" me than the stock 4-cylinder versions. The point of my rambling? Well, basically, we are all different in most ways and HAVE to go with what each prefers. My take is that nothing is an adequate substitute for a bike; I've another open roadster (no doors, even) often likened to a bike by the uninformed but no matter, 4-wheels just are NOT the same... for me... that is. But, I bought my first 2-wheeler in '61--a 2-year old Cushman Eagle, so whada I know? All the best Beemer, if you find you MUST forgo a bike--and, my sympathy.
Whoa! Thanks, but I'm just talking about driving a simple, cheap and somewhat sporty car. I don't need anything that compares to my bike and I know no car will do that. 

Beemer

Bought a Mini Clubman Cooper, but not in exchange for the MT-07. That's a keeper for me. Might consider a Honda Rebel 500 as it is coming to UK - to replace my other bike, though.

Just do it! 

Archived