The MT-07 Forum

XSR900/FZ09/FZ07/R6

satinblkesp

satinblkesp

6ft 2 200lbs which bike is going to fit me best as far as looks? Our Yamaha dealership just got its license revoked so I can't go sit on any.

Before you get to "fit" - what level of rider are you? While I'd say the FZ07 is a good bike for any level, (maybe a hair much for a first bike but certainly manageable) I don't think the XSR, FZ09 or R6 is a good bike for a beginner. The XSR and FZ09 especially are a LOT of power. Also depends on what kind of riding you're going to be doing - the R6 with it's fairings and tucked riding position is different from the 3 naked bikes that are very upright.

satinblkesp

Well I'm a dirt bike rider coming from 450s I've been riding all my life. What I'm worried about the most is size being uncomfortable at my height and looking weird. I'm really not wanting to change the seat out or rear sets.

• Premium Member

Xsr 900 if you don't mind a classic look, much better thsn the FZ-09 with traction control, like 3 modes of TC and it has a slipper/assist clutch, when the FZ-09 doesnot...the FJ-09 over my FZ-07 is much more upright like a dirt bike..the FZ-09 needs some refinement in suspension, ECU and I don't like the new squinting little LED headlight on the new models, the FJ-09 fixed alot of FZ-09 flaws... once you get the FZ-07 hopped up with exhaust, ECU and airbox, it will feel like a 450F dirt bike in power behavior ?...if you want a little more top speed if you prefer cruising the highways at 80mph, the FJ or XSR900 will easily cruise at them speeds all day...  Avoid the crotch rockets ☺

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

+1 for what norcal said, he hit it spot on. If you like the styling of the XSR, that's a great bike. The 900 is more power than I want, I keep wishing they'll bring the XSR700 to the states because I love the styling. The XSR is taller than the FZ-09 and the FZ-09 is taller than the FZ-07. You should absolutely sit on all of them before buying, only way you'll know is by checking them out in person. I think there are plenty of people your size that ride the FZ-07, but the only way to know if it "fits" you is to sit on it.

• Premium Member

FZ-10 needs a fuel tank substitute ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I can't speak for the other bikes since I haven't ridden them, but at 6'2 160lbs, the FZ-07 fits me well. I definitely prefer the upright seating position over the supersports (previous zx6r owner), and I haven't felt uncomfortable once since I've owned the FZ. I only used to be able to ride ~2 hours on the zx6 before I wouldn't want to ride any longer because of the seating position.

I wouldn't be too concerned on how you look. You're gonna look ridiculous on any bike just like how short people are. Count you're blessings you can still ride comfortably; we have a 6'5" guy on a Hayabusa and his elbows are touching his knees in riding position.

I would be more concerned with what type of performance you want in a street bike.

satinblkesp

Awhile back I sat on an R6 and I remember feeling like it fit me well being that the seat was over 33". This really would be a bike to just commute to work (30 minutes) or track. I'm not really wanting to go farther than that. Do you guys see any issue over getting an R6 for those reasons? Right now I feel like the two bikes I want to sit on is the R6 again and try out the XSR900. I really dig the looks of both I guess it will depend on the test rides which I choose.

Thx

What exactly is your idea of commuting? Mostly highway or city streets?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

What exactly is your idea of commuting? Mostly highway or city streets?
Backroad city
Lots of traffic lights and stop and go turns? 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

satinblkesp
Backroad city

Not many traffic lights at all and not many turns. Pretty much a straight shot.

FZ-10 accept no substitutes
You mean the 10 that doesn't have the diamond engine the critics raved about in the 7. Got it! ;)   

Beemer

FZ-10 accept no substitutes
You mean the 10 that doesn't have the diamond engine the critics raved about in the 7. Got it! ;)  

What's wrong with the engine on the FZ-10? It's based on the R-1 cross plane and powers the FZ-10 to low 10's in the 1/4 mile. It's a freaking rush. Low end power like the FZ-09, but unlike the FZ-09 it just keeps building power up top.

All three FZ's are awesome bikes. No reason to knock one over the other. The guys on the FZ-10 forum totally respect the FZ-07.

Alright. In that case, the world is your oyster then.  If you are going FZ09, go for the 2017.  If you prefer retro design, go for XSR900.  If you know you'll be hitting the tracks a lot, go R6.

You come from a dirtbike background, and most dirtbikes (that I've ridden) have twitchy throttles.  So you should be fine on the 9s (xsr900/fz09).  Start out in B mode for a bit.  But don't get me wrong, it will still be a mind-blowing sensation when you experience it- it is very dangerous and the R6 will be "safer" for you since the low end power is kind of crappy, so in the low revs the R6 will be more docile.  The R6 becomes dangerous at higher revs.  The 9s are dangerous from anything faster than stop- but then if you are able to come to terms with it (like I said you may already be used to twitchy throttles, so as long as you have that smooth right hand, you'll theoretically be ok), then congrats the bike won't get any more dangerous. 

Commuting wise, generally I'd recommend naked over supersport EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.  Either of the 9s will have better low speed handling for stop and go and its a huge difference.  Back in the day every one just rode supersports because that's all they made, but with the abundance of naked bikes being made in this age (new riders are definitely spoiled with some great options), the naked bike just does city riding so much better.  But the backroad city commuting with little to no traffic stops in your case, the R6 might be more fun.

How's your back?  Do you have any lower back problems?  If you do, stay far away from the R6.  You don't readily feel it, but 15+ minutes and the r6 will be the worst decision you'll ever make if you have back problems.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.  Regardless, proceed with caution.

satinblkesp
Alright. In that case, the world is your oyster then.  If you are going FZ09, go for the 2017.  If you prefer retro design, go for XSR900.  If you know you'll be hitting the tracks a lot, go R6. 
You come from a dirtbike background, and most dirtbikes (that I've ridden) have twitchy throttles.  So you should be fine on the 9s (xsr900/fz09).  Start out in B mode for a bit.  But don't get me wrong, it will still be a mind-blowing sensation when you experience it- it is very dangerous and the R6 will be "safer" for you since the low end power is kind of crappy, so in the low revs the R6 will be more docile.  The R6 becomes dangerous at higher revs.  The 9s are dangerous from anything faster than stop- but then if you are able to come to terms with it (like I said you may already be used to twitchy throttles, so as long as you have that smooth right hand, you'll theoretically be ok), then congrats the bike won't get any more dangerous. 

Commuting wise, generally I'd recommend naked over supersport EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.  Either of the 9s will have better low speed handling for stop and go and its a huge difference.  Back in the day every one just rode supersports because that's all they made, but with the abundance of naked bikes being made in this age (new riders are definitely spoiled with some great options), the naked bike just does city riding so much better.  But the backroad city commuting with little to no traffic stops in your case, the R6 might be more fun.

How's your back?  Do you have any lower back problems?  If you do, stay far away from the R6.  You don't readily feel it, but 15+ minutes and the r6 will be the worst decision you'll ever make if you have back problems.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.  Regardless, proceed with caution.

Thank you for your time Sir much appreciated. I will let you guys know what I decide on!

• Premium Member

I have always said the FZ-07 is like the A-10 airplane, it's ment for close combat with city traffic and can dabble in the back roads but the FZ/FJ/XSR-09 are perfect all around airplanes like the F-22, sure it can dabble in the city but it becomes a lethal dogfighter when it's on the back roads, local tracks or small/medium highways and can easily cruise at 90mph on the freeways...a crotch rocket is like an SR-71, they do the best work at high speeds and open roads...

Wow, was the FZ07 always in the topic title? For some odd reason I completely missed the FZ07. I know your height and weight was a concern for you so I figured you didn't have the FZ07 in this topic lineup.

Anyway, as far as FZ07 goes... of all the bikes listed, it is the MOST EASIEST bike to ride in all aspects. Even at your weight and height, if you are not doing track days, it should be completely fine for you in all respects. People may suggest changing out the suspension, and perhaps you may have to, but you have no other street bike experience so it may not readily bother you. Or maybe it will... If you do plan to do track though, yes, definitely change out the suspension.

But the FZ07 will do everything effortlessly. It is super light and versatile. It will be fun.

Alas, everyone is different. There is a guy from a few months ago, basically in your very position. Dirtbike experience, no street bike until he bought the fz07, and he is bored of it 3 months in. So yeah. People can tell you everything, all their opinions, but truthfully in the end, with bikes, you won't know until you ride it. That is a bummer with bikes.

satinblkesp

I will throw a curveball, MV Agusta Brutale 800 the sexiest naked bike and the 3/4 tuck would seem to be the best of both worlds. Expensive and inconvenient for maintenance probably but every bike has its pros and cons.

What's wrong with the engine on the FZ-10? It's based on the R-1 cross plane and powers the FZ-10 to low 10's in the 1/4 mile. It's a freaking rush. Low end power like the FZ-09, but unlike the FZ-09 it just keeps building power up top.  
All three FZ's are awesome bikes. No reason to knock one over the other. The guys on the FZ-10 forum totally respect the FZ-07.
Ummm, I didn't say anything WAS wrong with an FZ-10 engine but isn't that what's expected on an FZ-07 forum when an FZ-10 suddenly jumps in and tries to upstage our bike? Do you not see the humor? It was intended as a joke. 

Beemer

Archived