The MT-07 Forum

Switching from Battlax to Michelin PR4s???

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

I am planning on switching from my stock Bridgestone Battlax 023s to a set of Michelin PR4s. So has anyone done that, and more specifically was there any noticeable change in the seat height? I'm planning on going with the stock sizes.

Sounds like a sorta crazy question for most folks, but when you are vertically challenged as I am at 5'6", a 0.5" difference is noticeable unfortunately. The real killer has been dirt bikes for me. I rode/raced vintage bikes through my 40s into my 50s due totally to the extreme seat heights of the modern dirt bikes. That pretty much sucked as the new dirt bikes are freaking awesome.

ducttapewd40

You shouldn't notice any difference in height at all, but I think the Michelins are a much better tire. I typed out my reasoning, but it covers too many changes in motorcycles and tires to sound very valid so I deleted it. In short, the combination of FZ07 and Michelin PR's is my favorite of anything I've had in 13 years of motorcycling and I highly recommend them. My least favorite involved a pair of Battlaxes. When the tires on my fiancee's FZ6R wore out I made sure I replaced them with PR4's since I was so happy with the ones on my FZ07 I trust them to help keep her safer on the road.

I switched from Rosso II to PR4. A slightly higher profile, quicker drop in and more stable through the turns. I will never look for another tire. For reference, my boy, Hobbs (fz07), Colby (cb1000r) & I (hyper821), all run PR4s.

The PR4 is a much better tyre than the PR3 (original fitment tyre). It works well on most bikes from what I've read and shouldn't affect ride height. I'm 5'6" also and I wouldn't sweat fitting the PR4's.

I prefer bridgestone's feel, so went out of my way to find a new bike fitted with the BT023s (other original fitment tyre).

I'll be going with newer bridgestone T30's when it's time to change - better dry grip, rounder profile, but less impressive in the wet than BT023.

At 5'5" w28" inseam, i notice any change in height on my already tall and top heavy Aprilia. So, going from a worn out tire to new, well, I'll always notice the added 1/4" of rubber. But I could raise the seat a full inch on the FZ and not be concerned. It's so narrow and just stupid light for any stop light concerns.

My last Metzlers were the original Pilot Roads and just hated them. They were hard, harsh, terrible when cold - worse when cold and wet, and haven't gone back to Michelin regardless of how much the PR4s are liked.

The BT023s were sorta obsolete tech when Yamaha started putting them on the FZ. The T30s are also now gone, having been replaced with the T30 EVO - which should be better yet in the rain.

BTW, the PR4s have now been around long enough, it's probably time for an update. A drop in price would be nice too.

I've heard mostly positive things about the PR4's but when I read about the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 I decided to give them a chance and see how they performed. So far they've performed very well. I would bet money they're a better tire. I've ridden in the rain with them also and they grip real nice when wet. It's hard to imagine anything much better.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/bridgestone-battlax-hypersport-s21-motorcycle-tire

Beemer

Have a buddy in Belgium who just put the S21s on his Tuono V4 Factory. He rides in cold rain a lot and, except for inducing a nice back tire slide to both directions when they were brand new, has been happy. I'm waiting to se how long (or short) it'll be before he's worn them out.

Calling them "better", well, that depends on what yer after, The S21s are not a sport tour tire - which today are pretty darn good across all manufacturers. They'll work just fine on the street, but they are definitely gonna wear out much faster. As to whether you can use the extra traction on the street, that'll depend on you.

Guest 2wheeler

Funny you mention the Angel GT... that was the one I was going to go for until I rode a FZ-07 with the Michelin PR3s on it. Those tires rode so much better than my Battlaxs that I was really impressed. From what I read, the PR4s have a similar but better ride than the PR3s (anybody who knows different please chip in), and that was the sell for me.

Of course that could all change if I rode a FZ with the Angel GTs.

I LOVE Michelin PR4's . They will be my next tyres on the 07. Never felt wet or dry grip ( on a road bike on the road) like them. The pr4's are a very different ride to the 3's and superior in every way. I would prefer the BT23's to a PR3. The PR4's are also quite light.
The BT23's I find VERY harsh ( uncharisticly for Bridgestones), and if I had to stay Bridgie I would consider the 21's or a couple of others. I had 21's on a couple of bikes recently and liked them. In VERY wet conditions they don't shed water well though.
Stickshift, if you like the BT23's you might find you like the new Dunlops Road and Sport Max and TT's. I can't help you with exact models, but they work very well and have a similar hard carcass feel as the BT23's, that some prefer. I think some of the guys in the track section have commented on particular models for the 07.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Over here EVERYONE is using the Angel GT so Im going to try it in 190/50
By all means - try the Angel GTs, but I'd not go up in width. You'll likely not like how it steers and then blame a perfectly nice tire. 

I LOVE Michelin PR4's . They will be my next tyres on the 07. Never felt wet or dry grip ( on a road bike on the road) like them. The pr4's are a very different ride to the 3's and superior in every way. I would prefer the BT23's to a PR3. The PR4's are also quite light. The BT23's I find VERY harsh ( uncharisticly for Bridgestones), and if I had to stay Bridgie I would consider the 21's or a couple of others. I had 21's on a couple of bikes recently and liked them. In VERY wet conditions they don't shed water well though.
Stickshift, if you like the BT23's you might find you like the new Dunlops Road and Sport Max and TT's. I can't help you with exact models, but they work very well and have a similar hard carcass feel as the BT23's, that some prefer. I think some of the guys in the track section have commented on particular models for the 07.
The new Dunlop sport tourers are the Roadsmart IIIs and are getting nice reviews like  http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/march/dunlop-roadsmart-iii/

Over here EVERYONE is using the Angel GT so Im going to try it in 190/50
By all means - try the Angel GTs, but I'd not go up in width. You'll likely not like how it steers and then blame a perfectly nice tire. 
oh Im not going 190 for performance

well that's good because performance will be degraded by that swap. But whatever yer reason, I'm predicting the bike will handle poorly. Not even sure the wheel width is big enough to give a 190 tire it's designed profile - that would make it worse.

[div]Considering I ride on dry surfaces around 99% of the time I don't mind getting less miles out of a tire if it's going to grip better than a sport touring tire and keep me safer. From my experience, the S21's did fine for me in light to medium rain but I wasn't riding like I'm in a race either. I can't speak for heavy rain. In heavy rain I get off the road because my vision is blocked way too much to feel confident in anything about the bike. I'm just an average Joe talking. Check out this professional review and be sure to watch the video.

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle-racing-sport-tires-bridgestone-battlax-hypersport-S21
[/div]

Beemer

Not sure it will handle noticeably worse , especially on the road ( you will notice a big difference on the track and prob not all good). It may not centreflat as quickly if you tour it.
The tyre will be heavier and the front/rear profiles will be substantially different so you may notice running out of rear tyre before the front does it you lean hard a lot. And the front will feel a bit more vague when you push it.
It IS heavier so will accellerate a bit slower and will be harsher on rough surfaces. The poor stock rear suspension will be more noticeable. On that note may I recommend the Seat Concepts pad and cover. Big improvement in comfort withour changing the line of the bike.
The bike is severly over-tyred performance wise standard and probably should be fitted with a 160/60 for optimium, even the full spec HO. The LAMS one could probably quite easily handle a 150/70 actually , bike weight and power wise. Having said that some of the guys in the track section have gone to 180/60's and bigger  to try and get a better profile match. Check out the track threads.
So I suspect you are going for the Tron /batbike look. Perfectly valid thing to do. It's your bike.

About 10, maybe 12 years ago, a guy on the Aprilia forum was gifted a lightly used Futura by his wife when he came back from Iraq - a Marine gunnery sergeant - a nice gift for a hard job well done. Anyway, his 1st posts on the forum were mostly rants about how badly this bike handled. Over many replies and questions, we all scratched heads trying to come with why he found it so ill handling - as in the worst bike he'd ever ridden.

Turns out the previous owner had installed a 190 profile tire. The Fut wears the same size tires the FZ does and it took a while before someone asked about the tire sizes - there were lots of questions about tires, just no one thought of it being an off size.

He ripped that tire off - maybe with his bare hands - and has been happy since.

Now for the caveat. This guy rides the pants off of everything. There are picts of him showering sparks with his wife on the back (I've never scraped anything - and I'm not alone) He sometimes works as an instructor for one of the riding schools, so yer point about it handling bad only when going fast, might apply. But this guy complained about slow speed cornering as much, if not more, than fast speed stuff cause he was too afraid to push it for fear it would spit him off.

IMO, the 180 is already too big for a 65hp, 400 lb motorcycle. Will a 190 even fit between the arms of the swinger?

Tron, lol.

I give I give, sticking with the 180.
We had a meet at our local tire dude yesterday ( runs tire changing out of his home) 6 guys got new tires and all got the Angel GTs LOL

Iirc, Pirelli owns Metzler ( or is it the other way round?) The Angel GTs will share a lot of characteristics of the PR4s. Frankly, most top level sport tour tires these days are better than most of us riders. They'll be better than anything you now throw away for sure.

Iirc, Pirelli owns Metzler ( or is it the other way round?) The Angel GTs will share a lot of characteristics of the PR4s. Frankly, most top level sport tour tires these days are better than most of us riders. They'll be better than anything you now throw away for sure.
I hear you, Im the limitation not the tires. I care a little bit how tings look and I gotta say the look of the pr4s bother me some what. Not that I would get a shitty tire because it looks good.

• Global Moderator
I am planning on switching from my stock Bridgestone Battlax 023s to a set of Michelin PR4s. So has anyone done that, and more specifically was there any noticeable change in the seat height? I'm planning on going with the stock sizes. 
Sounds like a sorta crazy question for most folks, but when you are vertically challenged as I am at 5'6", a 0.5" difference is noticeable unfortunately. The real killer has been dirt bikes for me. I rode/raced vintage bikes through my 40s into my 50s due totally to the extreme seat heights of the modern dirt bikes. That pretty much sucked as the new dirt bikes are freaking awesome.

I have the PR4s front and rear on my bike and though they dont seem to last as long as the pr3s, at 6'1 240. The rear tire lasted about 9k, and the front has over 14k on it front is getting near to needing replacement. Grip is awesome.
Have take them through a track day and soon a second with very little damage ovwrall.
I would certainly recommend them.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Sorkyah, I reckon that is pretty fair wear from performance tyres. Especially for the wide range conditions in which they grip.

• 10 months later...

This is seriously funny as I was searching to see if there was a thread about going from the Battlax to the PR4, and I came across this one. The funny part is that I created this thread when I use to use the name 2wheeler.

So fast forward almost a year later, and I just finally had my PR4s installed today. I went for a 100 mile ride to scuff in the new tires (75 degrees and sunny in DC today). The first thing I noticed was that it felt like I got a new suspension with the PR4s. I never knew how badly the 023's beat me up until I rode with the Michelins. They really do ride much softer, but yet handle really well so far, as well as being seriously smooth. Obviously I'm being careful on the turns as I get the tires broken in.

The Battlax 023s had 8000 miles with the front still being OK, and the rear having a flat spot that was pronounced enough that I could notice it when seriously leaning the bike over.

I have a Bitubo shock and fork cartridges that are next and last on the list. Hopefully they will get installed next week making my FZ ready for the summer.

FZ07R WaNaB.

That is a pretty common feeling when changeing from most other tyres to Michies and particularly PR4's. If you are someone that perfers a harsher feedback you don't like them. If you prefer a more compliant grip the Michies are the go. I am hanging to try the PR5 ( actually just R5's apparently). They now make 170/60 in 2 styles of the R5's as well so I will change soon.

Interestingly the conpliant nature of Michies is one of the complaints of the MotoGP guys that prefer more solid feeling tyres.

Archived