The MT-07 Forum

Glad to be on a FZ07

liv2ride

Well, now that I picked up an FZ I thought it would be a good idea to formally check-in.  I'm a well seasoned rider and have been riding motorcycles in one form or another for about 35 years.  I decided to downsize from a BMW R1200RT, logging 30k miles in about 4.5 years, since I have not been riding for leisure much in the last few years and have been using the bike more for errands and commuting.  Although I initially was insisting on the 09, after a few months of contemplating/research coupled by local dealers in Hawaii not yet receiving their inventory of the 2017 model I took the plunge on a 2016 leftover 07.  I have to say, before pulling the trigger I had never rode an FZ but once I pulled out of the dealers lot I knew I made the right decision.  This bike is a hoot and makes traveling on surface streets, navigating in traffic and through congested areas more enjoyable.  The RT wasn't bad but it just wasn't designed for urban riding and it's physical dimensions and lack of air flow to the rider made this type of riding undesirable.

I am well over the phase of modding for peak performance and more interested in practicality.  I already ordered a rear rack, Givi 47 liter top box, USB charger and RAM mount for phone.  I am sure I will be adding a windscreen, finding a better solution for mirrors, adding a bada** horn and find a good lock for theft deterrence.

That's enough for now.

Aloha

Scot

Welcome Captain Practical.

And when you're done modding it to suit your practical requirements it will perform those objectives in peak fashion ?

• Premium Member

Welcome, Scot!
glad you're enjoying the ride. A lot of people would prefer the FZ07 over the fz09 after riding both (you may be in this category too and just didn't know it!)

Aloha and welcome. Sounds like you're over in Oahu? Big Island rider here. Stay safe!

Welcome and congrats! Save yourself some money and embrace the neutral riding position.

Beemer

Welcome and congrats! Save yourself some money and embrace the neutral riding position.
Save money is right, coming from the Beemer ;-)  I just cannot believe the smile per mile this bike offers, especially with the unbelievable price point, 2016 $7,500 OTD.  
Need to find a good windscreen to help some on the freeway, I think I am 6'3" these days and my torso acts like a big sail...especially with the upright riding position on this bike.  It's been awhile since I have been on a naked but I did find bending at the elbows and leaning forward some does help.

Not sure if anyone offers one but a seat that will add an inch or two in height for me and something a little more comfortable for the wife would be good too.  She doesn't join me often but sometimes we'll take a "ride to eat".

Save money is right, coming from the Beemer ;-)  I just cannot believe the smile per mile this bike offers, especially with the unbelievable price point, 2016 $7,500 OTD.  
Need to find a good windscreen to help some on the freeway, I think I am 6'3" these days and my torso acts like a big sail...especially with the upright riding position on this bike.  It's been awhile since I have been on a naked but I did find bending at the elbows and leaning forward some does help.

Not sure if anyone offers one but a seat that will add an inch or two in height for me and something a little more comfortable for the wife would be good too.  She doesn't join me often but sometimes we'll take a "ride to eat".
Ha, ha! The trick is to do as I say, not as I do. ;)  A windscreen is fine, I have one and it's almost a necessity at highway speeds. I just meant it isn't necessary to buy clip-ons that put you into a forward leaning position. I didn't mean 'don't buy anything'. That would be like a Clinton somewhere in the world saying 'don't lie about anything'. ;) 

Beemer

Archived