The MT-07 Forum

Anyone have a drag bar?

mjdavis1994

mjdavis1994

So I got the go ahead from the wife to order a few parts for the FZ. I've got the r6 throttle tube and some shortie levers that'll be in Friday. Can't get an exhaust yet (hopefully next month) but I'm looking at getting a drag bar. Does anyone here have a drag bar installed? Fatigue wise what's the difference? Stunt wise? I love the look of drag bars but I also love to wheelie and to my understanding they put more weight on the front end. For those that have clip ons how do you like them?

• Premium Member

I have the drag bar from amazon.ca I think it was $40. IMO its just a rod so I wasnt going to pay $100+ because that other one of the exact same size and shape has a brand sticker on it; maybe Im missing something with that sentiment I dunno.

I installed it along with DrivenTT rear-sets and they've both taken a bit of fiddling (along with orientation of the controls) to get comfy overall. With a more aggressive posture I find there's a bit more fatigue but not really an issue. That said Im a new rider still working on relaxing the upper body and gripping the tank with my legs more than I do the handlebars.

Its seems like a subtle change overall but I really dig the posture so much more than OEM, feels more like a MC and less like an over powered scooter. ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

mjdavis1994
I have the drag bar from amazon.ca I think it was $40. IMO its just a rod so I wasnt going to pay $100+ because that other one of the exact same size and shape has a brand sticker on it; maybe Im missing something with that sentiment I dunno.  
I installed it along with DrivenTT rear-sets and they've both taken a bit of fiddling (along with orientation of the controls) to get comfy overall. With a more aggressive posture I find there's a bit more fatigue but not really an issue. That said Im a new rider still working on relaxing the upper body and gripping the tank with my legs more than I do the handlebars.

Its seems like a subtle change overall but I really dig the posture so much more than OEM, feels more like a MC and less like an over powered scooter. ;)

I believe I was looking at that very same set last night. Ever do any wheelies? If so how much of a difference effort wise did it make if any? And I'm a new rider too so lots of the things that bother more experienced don't bother me. Put enough miles to do the first oil change in 3 days then took a 650 mile trip back home and loved every second once the temp went back up from 28 xD I appreciate you taking the time to reply! :)

[div]I don't have drag bars but love the looks of them also. If I were to want to do more tricks with my bike I would get handle bars that keep my body position more upright and neutral. In a neutral position you won't have any pressure on your arms/wrists to affect steering input in case there's a mishap like a hand accidentally coming of the grip and the other hands pressure causing the handlebar to turn when you don't want it to. Overall comfort will be increased as well. Just look at just about any super motard, it's that way for good reason. I've actually been thinking about chucking my windscreen and getting higher, wider bars myself. Would be more in character with this type bike anyway. Just my honest opinion.[/div]

Beemer

• Premium Member

No wheelies for this guy, much too new a rider and after dumong thousands intto this bike if I were to wipe out I wouldnt sleep at night. :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

topazsparrow

Have the drag bars.

My experience is that it seems to be easier to modulate in the corners. Feels more direct for some reason.

Wheelies are slightly harder as you're leaned forward a touch more.

Only thing I don't like is how badly it makes the gauge console look like it sticks out. Otherwise, for $40 it's a nice way to change how the bike feels.

crescentwrench

Do you guys have pics?

Bonus: Newb question, is a drag bar the same as clip-ons?

Drag bar is a fairly straight handlebar, so lower and more aggressive position. Clip-ons attach directly to the forks, so two straight bars bolted to the sides versus over the top like handlebars, even lower and more aggressive. All sport-bikes have clip-ons.

crescentwrench

So is it just a matter of how aggressive a position you want to ride or are there any fubctional or handling or feedback differences as well?

I just copied and pasted this from a Triumph forum because I should be writing a paper that's due today... google drag bars vs. clip-ons for more discussion.

Advantages (as I see them) to clip-ons:
lowers the position of your body mass
puts more weight on the front wheel
less cramped riding position when using rearset pegs
combined with rearset pegs, I find it tends to be easier to shift your weight effectively on the bike
suits some peoples personal riding posture and riding style
looks like original cafe racer style (which in turn was based on racing bikes)
disadvantages (as I see them)
can be uncomfortable on longer straight line riding.
people who ride them with locked elbows tend to find they get painful - requires more core bum and leg strength to ride without locking elbows and this takes a bit of practice.
when doing very tight, full lock low speed manouvering they can pinch your hand against the tank
doesn't suit some peoples personal riding posture and riding style

topazsparrow
Anyone know what drag bars are like without rearsets? Probably pretty uncomfortable I bet.
I run mine with the stock foot controls. I'm 5'10 and there's no issue with feeling cramped. I have a longer torso and shorter legs mind you. On really long rides I adorn the butt pad which elevates me about an inch or two, it's a tad more comfortable, but the stock sets are nowhere near uncomfortable with drag bars.

The Drag bars are not a DRASTIC difference from the stock bars. Not like the woodcraft clip-ons or clubmans would be. I've ridden a bike with the Renthal ultralows and would say those are about halfway between stock and the drag bars.

If you need to imagine what it's like, grab a broom stick and run it across the bike around the same level as the riser. The amazon bars have a bit of a sweep to them, so keep in mind it'll lean you less than a straight bar as well.

Among disadvantages and included in 'uncomfortable' for me would be aching wrists.

Just do it! 

mjdavis1994

Thanks for all the comments guys! Really appreciate the feedback. I'll probably order the drag bar and hold onto my stock bar just in case. 40 bucks isn't really a loss if it turns out I don't like it. Gotta find another bar for stunts though!

Archived