The MT-07 Forum

Brake light stuck on??

bullwhip66

Hi everyone,

I did my best to search for this problem, but wasn't finding anything matching my issue. I realized today that my brake light wasn't coming on for the front or the rear brake. Once i got a little darker, I started to realize that I'm pretty sure the brake light is in fact on, but it's stuck on. (It's hard to tell whether it's just the running lights or the brake lights, but it seems pretty bright to me for just the running lights.)

Is there some easy fix to this? I rode around quite a few miles and it didn't go off or come on at all. I checked all of the fuses, they are fine. I'm not familiar with the brake light switch, but would this cause the light to just stay on constantly and not go off?

Thanks for the help.

Hi everyone, 
I did my best to search for this problem, but wasn't finding anything matching my issue. I realized today that my brake light wasn't coming on for the front or the rear brake. Once i got a little darker, I started to realize that I'm pretty sure the brake light is in fact on, but it's stuck on. (It's hard to tell whether it's just the running lights or the brake lights, but it seems pretty bright to me for just the running lights.)

Is there some easy fix to this? I rode around quite a few miles and it didn't go off or come on at all. I checked all of the fuses, they are fine. I'm not familiar with the brake light switch, but would this cause the light to just stay on constantly and not go off?

Thanks for the help.

Have someone else press the brakes for you to see if it changes. If you don't have someone use a rubber band to hold the lever for you. One of the brake light switches is a button located in between, where the lever bends making contact. Check there first. I've never really check to see where the rear button is located. Maybe someone else can help. A bad fuse won't leave your lights on.

You should also hear a distinct "click" sound when you pull your brake lever. Confirming your button is being activated.

• Global Moderator

If you have the stock brake light it is easy to tell if the brake light is on. The running lights are on both sides and the brake lights fill in the space between. If the brake light is indeed stuck on then the first thing I would do is check that the rear brake light switch is not stuck. If that is okay then the front brake light switch would be my next suspect. After that then I am out of ideas. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Thanks guys. It definitely seems stuck on then because the entire lights are full, not only the edges. I know the front switch is clicking, as I noticed this when I was checking it the first time. I will give the rear brake light switch a look today after work. Forgive my newbness, but is this switch located behind the silver footplate? Sort of in front of the adjuster? I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, would it be stuck in the "on" position or something? Thanks!

Yes it's the one behinde the silver footplate.
If you move the brake pedal you will see it compress to the on position, it's adjustable so maybe it's just set wrong and actuates all the time.
You could try to disconnect it to find out if it's the culprit to the problem.

• Premium Member

This is actually a common issue with these bikes and other manufacturers. Easy fix is to adjust the rear brake light switch and then add some dielectric grease to it.

Basically, a bunch of dirt gets in the stopper and doesn't allow the switch to make contact -- so the circuit doesn't close.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

I adjusted my rear brake lever so that it was set higher. As a result the rear brake was on permanently. The switch needs adjustment too - as bugeyes describes. So that should work for you.

Just do it! 

I have also had this problem from the dealer. I only noticed when I swapped out my stock brake light for the TST one. It ended up being the rear brake switch. It is very finicky so you may need to adjust it a few times to get it in the sweet spot where it still lights up and engages but doesn't have a super long "throw" to where it feels less responsive.

Update guys: I took off the silver footplate after work today, as soon as i did the switch wiggled and moved around, and the light went out. I put it back on and it works fine. Didn't even have to adjust it. I will see if it happens again and adjust if needed, but for now perhaps it was just stuck and only took a little bit to break it loose. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

Archived