The MT-07 Forum

Returning Rider. New Bike (intro)

DewMan

• Premium Member

I'm excited to see an international group of fans of the MT/FZ-07. I look forward to sharing time and knowledge with all of you.
About Me: I'm a 52 year old, happily single, cubical dweller living in the humid state of Florida, USA. I'm either having a mid-life crisis or working on my bucket list... I'm not sure which yet.
Backstory:I started riding back in the mid 80s on a very used Honda CM450 parallel twin that I eventually upgraded to a lightly used Yamaha Radian (YX600S) inline 4 with a K&N stage 1 kit as it's only performance mod. I loved my Radian. I rode the Radian until the tank fell off (rusted through). Between the two bikes I put close to 60,000 miles (95,000 Kilometers) in the saddle as they were my primary means of transportation for several years.
I enjoyed riding so much during that time, I went to school for Motorcycle mechanics and worked for a short time in a local shop wrenching. Eventually I figured out I wasn't going to make as comfortable a living as I wanted wrenching so I switched careers numerous times until I settled into a long term career in I.T. that continues today. After getting a cage, life kept me too busy/distracted to get a new ride for an embarrassingly long time.
Enter the FZ-07:I recently spent several weeks Googling the crap out of all the current offerings from the big four. I'm brand agnostic so all models were given fair consideration. After much consideration, wallet checking and soul searching, along with being honest with myself that I really had no valid use for a liter bike, I decided on the FZ-07. I then Googled for an additional week specifically on the FZ-07 and the more I read the more I knew I'd made the right decision.
[strong]I walked into my local dealer yesterday and got a very good out the door price on an FZ-07 ABS with 0 miles on the LCD display. SCORE![/strong]
I've already ordered the Yoshimura fender eliminator kit and I'm debating between a couple of horn upgrades. I'm also looking for the best full coverage radiator grill. I'm resisting the urges to do any further "mods" on my bike until I get a lot more time in the saddle to see what I really need.
If you're still reading, I'm sorry.  But I do appreciate your time and attention. I look forward to spending time with other fanboys err..open minded people who decided that the MT/FZ-07 fit their motorcycling needs the best. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
Welcome! I bought this grill and love it. https://www.motovationusa.com/radiator-guard-by-evotech-performance-bun002197.html?mmyId=74588&mmy=Yamaha-FZ-07-2016 
It fully covers the radiator and it very well built.
Thanks for the suggestion @Ride351 . I've looked at that one before but I've not seen any pictures of it installed. Does it cover the sides/top/bottom as well, to help hide the bare aluminum?  The bare aluminum just clashes with the Red & black scheme IMO.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Thanks also to all the members who bothered to respond. It's much appreciated. Group hug! :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks for joining us and also for posting about your thought process.

For the money, the FZ-07 is the perfect "do it all bike" with a strong "cool" factor. Some of our members commute to work on their FZ-07. Some race their FZ-07's at the track. Some hit the twisties on weekends. This bike does it all so well.

Welcome! I bought this grill and love it. https://www.motovationusa.com/radiator-guard-by-evotech-performance-bun002197.html?mmyId=74588&mmy=Yamaha-FZ-07-2016 
It fully covers the radiator and it very well built.
Thanks for the suggestion @Ride351 . I've looked at that one before but I've not seen any pictures of it installed. Does it cover the sides/top/bottom as well, to help hide the bare aluminum?  The bare aluminum just clashes with the Red & black scheme IMO.

Yes it covers all the ugly bits! Sorry for the horrible pic, I just walked out to garage and snapped a quick one. 1153e18c79a8c46a94d4c273d14e4219.jpg

• Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestion @ride351 . I've looked at that one before but I've not seen any pictures of it installed. Does it cover the sides/top/bottom as well, to help hide the bare aluminum?  The bare aluminum just clashes with the Red & black scheme IMO.

Yes it covers all the ugly bits!
Damn you @ride351 ! Now I have to go spend more money for yet another new shiny for my FZ-07. :D
I Really appreciate the picture. That pretty much clears up the questions I had on that rad cover. I'm placing an order as soon as I figure out who's got it for the cheapest price.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yes it covers all the ugly bits! Sorry for the horrible pic, I just walked out to garage and snapped a quick one. 1153e18c79a8c46a94d4c273d14e4219.jpg

Here is a less awful picture, so you can see how it cleans up the bike. ff1bd922126d226cdfc74c809a4ab0b9.jpg

• Premium Member

It looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

Thanks again. I appreciate both pictures.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

It looks exactly like what I'm looking for.  
Thanks again. I appreciate both pictures.

No prob, glad to help.

• Premium Member

FYI:  The cheapest I've found it as at the manufacturer's website for $78.51 including ~6 day delivery from Lincolnshire England to the U.S.
https://evotech-performance.com/products/yamaha-fz-07-2013-onwards-radiator-guard
I've placed my order. I'll let y'all know how long delivery takes.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

tejascruzer

Welcome to the forum and congrats!
I just picked up my FZ a couple weeks ago and I give a thumbs up on the Evotech guard as well. Very well built, excellent fit and coverage, and reasonably priced. As for horns, I went with the Denali SoundBomb Mini from Revzilla. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-soundbomb-mini-horn  It's a little larger than the stock horn but still fits in the same location, is totally plug-n-play with the stock horn connections, and is super loud.  Not air horn loud still plenty loud for traffic and probably the best $30 mod you can do.

• Global Moderator
I'm excited to see an international group of fans of the MT/FZ-07. I look forward to sharing time and knowledge with all of you. About Me: I'm a 52 year old, happily single, cubical dweller living in the humid state of Florida, USA. I'm either having a mid-life crisis or working on my bucket list... I'm not sure which yet.
Backstory:I started riding back in the mid 80s on a very used Honda CM450 parallel twin that I eventually upgraded to a lightly used Yamaha Radian (YX600S) inline 4 with a K&N stage 1 kit as it's only performance mod. I loved my Radian. I rode the Radian until the tank fell off (rusted through). Between the two bikes I put close to 60,000 miles (95,000 Kilometers) in the saddle as they were my primary means of transportation for several years.
I enjoyed riding so much during that time, I went to school for Motorcycle mechanics and worked for a short time in a local shop wrenching. Eventually I figured out I wasn't going to make as comfortable a living as I wanted wrenching so I switched careers numerous times until I settled into a long term career in I.T. that continues today. After getting a cage, life kept me too busy/distracted to get a new ride for an embarrassingly long time.
Enter the FZ-07:I recently spent several weeks Googling the crap out of all the current offerings from the big four. I'm brand agnostic so all models were given fair consideration. After much consideration, wallet checking and soul searching, along with being honest with myself that I really had no valid use for a liter bike, I decided on the FZ-07. I then Googled for an additional week specifically on the FZ-07 and the more I read the more I knew I'd made the right decision.
[strong]I walked into my local dealer yesterday and got a very good out the door price on an FZ-07 ABS with 0 miles on the LCD display. SCORE![/strong]
I've already ordered the Yoshimura fender eliminator kit and I'm debating between a couple of horn upgrades. I'm also looking for the best full coverage radiator grill. I'm resisting the urges to do any further "mods" on my bike until I get a lot more time in the saddle to see what I really need.
If you're still reading, I'm sorry.  But I do appreciate your time and attention. I look forward to spending time with other fanboys err..open minded people who decided that the MT/FZ-07 fit their motorcycling needs the best. :)

Welcome dew Cant wait to see what you end up doin with your beautiful red fizzy

Ive yet to try out the ABS version on the 07... cant wait for bikefest

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Fitting it takes almost no time at all. And it 'gets rid of' that large ugly radiator.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

@tejascruzer Thanks for the recommendation. The mini-bomb was already on my shortlist. Good to know it would be a simple bolt on replacement. I was concerned it would be too cramped.

To all: Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I was able to install the Yoshi kit today. No more cancerous tumor growing off the back of my bike. :) I'd have taken pictures but you've all seen how that kit looks on an FZ-07 a hundred times.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
FYI:  The cheapest I've found it as at the manufacturer's website for $78.51 including ~6 day delivery from Lincolnshire England to the U.S. https://evotech-performance.com/products/yamaha-fz-07-2013-onwards-radiator-guard

FYI: The Evotech radiator grill arrived today via USPS. It was sealed in a plastic bag, then swaddled in a couple layers of eco friendly padding, then encased in a branded box and finally sealed in a thick outer plastic bag. It arrived unharmed. I was able to track it the entire way via England's Royal Mail and then via US Postal Service once it arrived in New York via the provided tracking #. The instructions don't quite match the included parts. I'll follow up on that with a post in the proper sub-forum. But the formally included foam strips have been replaced by a totally new style of dampening method.
Excuse me while I head to the garage and get this bolted up. :D I'll get some pictures.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
FYI:  The cheapest I've found it as at the manufacturer's website for $78.51 including ~6 day delivery from Lincolnshire England to the U.S. https://evotech-performance.com/products/yamaha-fz-07-2013-onwards-radiator-guard

FYI: The Evotech radiator grill arrived today via USPS. It was sealed in a plastic bag, then swaddled in a couple layers of eco friendly padding, then encased in a branded box and finally sealed in a thick outer plastic bag. It arrived unharmed. I was able to track it the entire way via England's Royal Mail and then via US Postal Service once it arrived in New York via the provided tracking #. The instructions don't quite match the included parts. I'll follow up on that with a post in the proper sub-forum. But the formally included foam strips have been replaced by a totally new style of dampening method.
Excuse me while I head to the garage and get this bolted up. :D I'll get some pictures.

What did they replacd the foam with, split vacuum hose?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived