The MT-07 Forum

Harley-Davidson Street Rod

iluvspdtt

So I work at a Harley-Davidson dealer as a service writer and I found out today from our factory rep that we will be getting one of the new Street Rods. He then went on to tell me that Harley is going after the FZ-07 crowd with the new bike, not knowing that I own one. Later in the conversation he found out that I own one and said that he wants me to take it for a ride when it gets here so I can give comparison feedback on the Street Rod. I have a feeling that I'll be thoroughly unimpressed.

• Premium Member

Yeah, give us an update when you've done it.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I've owned a few older HD's (mid to late 90s models) and still have a '93 FXR in my stable. I love my FXR and a solid mount 1200 Sportster is one of my all time favorite bikes to ride / modify / build. I sold my last Sportster late last year but I know I'll end up owning another one in the future. I'd be more interested in the Street Rod as a modern interpretation if it weighed 400-450lbs, but at 516lbs it's just a pig by modern day standards (for it's class). I'd rather buy a 93-01 Sportster 1200 for $2500, throw an inverted front end on it, customize it to bits and ride the piss out of it. It would still be cheaper than a Street Rod. Plus it's easier to wrench on, cheap parts everywhere for it, with very little effort you can get one down to 450lbs (further if you get crazy) and with an exhaust and S&S carb has all the power I need. I've had that configuration and not only did it pull like a tractor, but it could hit triple digits without much effort (that said, I'm not a triple digit rider). I've no way to do a side by side, but I'm fairly certain that an FZ will blow it out of the water when it comes to handling and speed. That said, if you've never owned a Harley, there is a certain something about that boat anchor of a motor that is irresistible - that's coming from someone who was predisposed to dislike them. Whether it's the grunt, torque, bark, soul.... whatever you want to call it, there is something to it that I enjoy. I just wish HD could get their technology and pricing more inline with the competition.

I've got a 1993 FXR that had a Spits & Sputters but swapped it for a Mikuni. That with a pro pipe and it pulls hard. It'll lift the front wheel in second with an otherwise stock engine. The bike is solid built and a blast to ride. But trying to compare anything Harley makes with an FZ-07 is apples and oranges.

And let's not forget that Streets aren't really Harleys, they are made in India, designed for the Indian market originally, it's liquid cooled and nearly every bolt on it is metric.

If they could drop 50 to 100 pounds off of it they'd be onto something better lol. I still love sportsters, dynas and FXR's though (for their intended purpose, cruising) and will probably own another one some day.

• Premium Member

The ergonomics make me cringe...i would feel like im doing the long jump with the ergonomics...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The ergonomics make me cringe...i would feel like im doing the long jump with the ergonomics...

When @guru and I first were building this forum, the week that the FZ-07 was released in the USA, we rigged the software so that whenever anyone typed the words "Harley Davidson", those words were replaced with "over priced heavy piece of shet".
Lasted for a couple months, created countless laughs and then I got a really nasty email from .....
So, I bent over and started letting people type the words "Harley Davidson" again.

They are a testament to our country's new motto. "Superior engineering via extreme Marketing"

• Premium Member
When @guru and I first were building this forum, the week that the FZ-07 was released in the USA, we rigged the software so that whenever anyone typed the words "Harley Davidson", those words were replaced with "over priced heavy piece of shet". Lasted for a couple months, created countless laughs and then I got a really nasty email from .....
So, I bent over and started letting people type the words "Harley Davidson" again.

They are a testament to our country's new motto. "Superior engineering via extreme Marketing"
I wish was around when this happened ... I look at it this way, Harely is jealous and if Harely is jealous of this little FZ-07 aura , it tells me the other brands are just as jealous and that speaks volumes to me Yamahas tuning forks hit the right notes... Even with the FJ-09 I cant recall the number of times the FJ-09 was thrown into odd match of bikes for reviews for shyts and giggles only to take the top spot ? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

When @guru and I first were building this forum, the week that the FZ-07 was released in the USA, we rigged the software so that whenever anyone typed the words "Harley Davidson", those words were replaced with "over priced heavy piece of shet". Lasted for a couple months, created countless laughs and then I got a really nasty email from .....

I wish was around when this happened ... I look at it this way, Harely is jealous and if Harely is jealous of this little FZ-07 aura , it tells me the other brands are just as jealous and that speaks volumes to me Yamahas tuning forks hit the right notes... Even with the FJ-09 I cant recall the number of times the FJ-09 was thrown into odd match of bikes for reviews for shyts and giggles only to take the top spot ?

Yamaha clearly knows what they are doing, look at how the FZ-10 has been stacking up against the Europeans. They know their market though, that's the key. Harley is trying to step outside their market and it's not going to end well. They need to stick with what they do best. And for the record, I'm not a big Harley fan. I bash them at work all the time, we are also a Honda and Kawasaki dealer so that helps ease my pain. But what makes Harley so bad isn't just the company but their customers. Having said all that, yes I do own one and I do enjoy it. There is something about them that makes me feeling something inside. My FZ-07 does as well but it's a different something. Very hard to explain. I can't say I would own my Harley if it wasn't an FXR. It's very clear that Erik Buell was involved in the frame design.

Someone needs to hire Erik Buell for their design/engineering dept. he takes a lot of flak from the failed business that he tried to launch. He tried to make a race bike right out of the gates and it flopped because it was expensive and failed to sell. But he has talents and a lot of fans.

AlbatrossCafe

I had never heard of this bike until now. It certainly looks cool (I really like the rear suspension) and with the smaller front wheel & larger diameter rear wheel is has a sportier feel. Little heavy though - it could stand to lose 50lbs. Although I would probably never buy one, I want it to succeed. I always like when companies branch out of their markets and try something new.

hotbike_2017_harley_davidson_street_rod_02.jpg

Someone needs to hire Erik Buell for their design/engineering dept. he takes a lot of flak from the failed business that he tried to launch. He tried to make a race bike right out of the gates and it flopped because it was expensive and failed to sell. But he has talents and a lot of fans.
Well as of this year Harley will no longer own the Buell name so maybe he will come back and put his last name on the bike instead of EBR. That may help him. I agree that the man is a genius of an engineer and I would love to own one of his creations but I just can't afford to spend that on a one trick pony. 

I had never heard of this bike until now. It certainly looks cool (I really like the rear suspension) and with the smaller front wheel & larger diameter rear wheel is has a sportier feel. Little heavy though - it could stand to lose 50lbs. Although I would probably never buy one, I want it to succeed. I always like when companies branch out of their markets and try something new. 

I Like Indian motorcycles. If I was gonna buy an American cruiser it would be an Indian. That Indian scout is one heck of a bike for the money.

We got it in this morning. In person it is hideous and feels very cheaply made. Not like a typical Harley. Normally you know why a Harley weighs so much, on that I can't figure out where all the weight is coming from.

Archived