The MT-07 Forum

Advice, buying new bike

e30kawi

So it's been a little while since I've bought a new bike at the dealership, 2/2012. And of the two times I have were easy and dealership really worked with me. I've tried to buy two bikes at this current dealership and both times there was no wiggle room.

They have a 2016 still in the crate and still want $8k out the door. That seems way too high to me. And the price I offered was unacceptable, $6500 OTD. Am I crazy offering that or even expecting that price?

• Global Moderator

You are not crazy offering it but I am not surprised they did not go for it. The riding season is finally here so there will not be the type of deals you can get in the middle of winter. Good luck with your purchase. I hope you can make a deal you can live with.

2016 will be discounted- but not by that much.

6600 is what people are paying for used 2015 (that is with taxes of course) so yeah, no dealer will go for 6500 otd on a new 2016. That would be around 5600 before everything else on what used to be 6999. Unless you are living in a state with no sales tax, then 6500 actually sounds good to me, but based on their OTD price, guessing that isn't the case.

But then I should be one to talk, I got a 2600 discount on a year old left over new bike. Lol.  But then it was much more expensive than an fz07 to start...

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Just like mjh937 mentioned, Spring is here and riders will be coming into the showroom. If you have not done this already, expand your shopping radius to see if there is a dealer willing to work with you. Some dealers in smaller population areas may be willing to deal more, since they may not get as much showroom traffic.

• Premium Member

...they know the FZ-07 sells quick... 6500 is way to low for a 2016 bike still in crate at this time of year...6800 may be possible if you go pick up the bike in crate and you do the set up and deal with all paperwork,get it inspected and whatnot to get bike on road... ppl got tax returns back now so they are a little extra flush with money, it's not even near end of the month (they gotta sell so many units a months to pay bills)...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

mjdavis1994

I just paid 6400 for my 2016 FZ 07 ... so not really unreasonable but then again I drove to Colorado when there was snow on the ground so I had some pull. 

You are not crazy offering it but I am not surprised they did not go for it. The riding season is finally here so there will not be the type of deals you can get in the middle of winter. Good luck with your purchase. I hope you can make a deal you can live with.

This is in Texas, and with a mild winter this year the riding season never really ended. But there are a few FZ's on Craigslist but they don't sell quick around here. I bought my first fz in April of 2015 with 450 miles on it for $6500.

Now they are getting older with higher miles and asking around $6100-6300 for 2015's with 5-7k miles and $6800 for 2016's with a couple thousand miles. But the tend to stay on Craigslist for an extended period of time.

I was trying to figure out if it's me or what with this dealership. The salesmen made it sound like they could come down some. It's the armor grey with neon wheels, I know they are out there but I'm yet to see one in the wild.

I don't have a problem waiting a little longer, I'm still healing from my accident, but I think I could start riding again.

But then I should be one to talk, I got a 2600 discount on a year old left over new bike. Lol.  But then it was much more expensive than an fz07 to start...

They had a bike up front that was a year old marked down from almost $13k down to $10k so I'm sure if they sit on a bike long enough the cheaper it can become as it starts costing them money.

I paid just under $7k OTD last May for my 2016 FZ-07. That's in NW Ohio though.

Right now that same dealership is asking $6400 before tax/tag/etc for 2016's.

I wouldn't be paying much over 6500 OTD for last years model...

I got mine last year, 2015 model for 7400 OTD. I RECOMMEND GOING TO A SMALLER DEALER SHIPB OREVEN A YAMAHA SPECIFIC DEALER IF POSSIBLE.

ducttapewd40

Definitely shop around, I called about a half dozen dealerships until I found the one reasonably close with the best price. The closest to me wanted something like $8500, the one about an hour away charged only MSRP plus sales tax. I think between that and them giving me more for my trade in I saved around $2500.

$6500 OTD seems pretty aggressive for a new bike, even if it is last year's model. That's roughly $1K off MSRP and margins on bikes are thin. Not surprising that they wouldn't go for it.

OTOH, $8K OTD is way too much. I paid that much in 2015 when the model had only been out a couple months and was still hot. Some of the dealers I contacted wanted >$9K! Best bet is to shop around. And I didn't even return messages to the dealers that told me "we won't quote over the phone, you have to come in." Plenty of dealers out there, you will find one that will play ball if you look.

I usually search for bikes on CycleTrader and here on the forums. 

I found one close to your target price. Maybe you could sweet talk them and get it for $6,500 OTD. Link

You do you and I'll do me.

$6500 may be a little too low, they do have to make a profit but some dealerships act like they don't know the 17's are out. If you don't like what they're offering just go somewhere else and bargain on a brand spanking new 17' for around 8k or little more, OTD but use the other dealer as a bargaining chip. Pit them against each other. GL, enjoy the games and remember, it's not always against the law to lie! Just ask any cop if that's true.

Beemer

i just paid 7100$ +TTT for an already assembled 2016 fz-07 about a month ago.

they threw in a few things to get me to move.

i have found that when purchasing vehicles, time is on your side. as they invest more time, they dont want to lose the deal. so they do things like repackage the deal ("pay list price, and i'll give you 600$ credit in the shop for accessories" "but that is the same deal you just offered, but instead of giving me the cash off, you are giving me credit, and you will make profit on those purchases, not to mention that i will have to pay taxes on that additional sales price"), telling you that they dont know anything about holdback, or marketing incentive credits.

if you mention something else you are looking at ("the kawasaki z650 is a nice looking bike too. i dont think buying either would be a bad decision") and showing a willingness to leave helps motivate them too.

but, in the end, they are not going to lose money on the deal.

• Premium Member

You are at the wrong time and wrong place for a deal. Sorry 'bout that.  Decide how far you are potentially willing to travel, maximum you will pay, what you "must have" (such as color), then get online.

i just paid 7100$ +TTT for an already assembled 2016 fz-07 about a month ago. 
they threw in a few things to get me to move.

i have found that when purchasing vehicles, time is on your side. as they invest more time, they dont want to lose the deal. so they do things like repackage the deal ("pay list price, and i'll give you 600$ credit in the shop for accessories" "but that is the same deal you just offered, but instead of giving me the cash off, you are giving me credit, and you will make profit on those purchases, not to mention that i will have to pay taxes on that additional sales price"), telling you that they dont know anything about holdback, or marketing incentive credits.

if you mention something else you are looking at ("the kawasaki z650 is a nice looking bike too. i dont think buying either would be a bad decision") and showing a willingness to leave helps motivate them too.

but, in the end, they are not going to lose money on the deal.

I hear ya. I've walked out on them twice before. I have no problem waiting. The z650 looks nice but that z900 has caught my eye. Really want another 7 though but not opposed to going back to Kawasaki.

Sounds like I'm not crazy with my offer but may not be the best time and I am willing to go up to 7 or so but trying to get as good a deal add I can.

Depends where you're at. If youre in a state where theres no sales tax then it seems doable. But if you're near a city like where im at (Philly), most places wanted $7400-7800, the lowest I found was for $7200 in NJ. Its a bike that sells a lot so they don't have too much incentive to let it go for a really cheap price. But really, it depends where you live. $6500 is a little crazy though...basically a steal.

Archived