The MT-07 Forum

Two USB One Plug?

Sweeps

I am not much of an electrical guy so this is my request for clarification. I have purchased two all weather USB with an inline fuse from eBay. I would like to install one under my seat for charging my phone when riding if needed. I would also like to run a USB to the front to power my gps. Can I twist both USB wires together and use the factory plug hidden inside the engine to power both - I will use the factory plug with the correct pins I bought also on eBay? Seems a simple yes as but being a newb on electrical wiring I thought I would ask the forum. Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes you can connect them together but the auxiliary fuse is 2 Amps, so you should not connect your gps and your phone at the same time. Also if your phone has e quick charger, that alone would draw more than 2 Amps and should not be used.

Yes you can connect them together but the auxiliary fuse is 2 Amps, so you should not connect your gps and your phone at the same time. Also if your phone has e quick charger, that alone would draw more than 2 Amps and should not be used.
I hope I'm not hijacking but I want to add a USB plug too. Are there plugs or cables that limit amp draw? My phone has the quick charge thing...I suspect a lot of android users have this issue. Would love to be able to plug in WITHOUT overloading the circuit. 
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

You would be able to turn off quick charging under your Android settings. Shame the power draw won't support my gps and charging my phone at same time. Not sure why we see two headed usb chargers with 2 amp fuses if the power draw won't work???????????

You would be able to turn off quick charging under your Android settings. Shame the power draw won't support my gps and charging my phone at same time. Not sure why we see two headed usb chargers with 2 amp fuses if the power draw won't work???????????
Yes, thanks for that...I guess I'll just have to remember to change my phone settings. I was just hoping I could find a plug or cable that would not over load the circuit that is provided. I've thought about wiring a new circuit but I think it would be prudent to include a volt meter in the wiring I if I go that route. That way you could monitor your power usage so you would not draw too much current by pluging in too many devices. 

• Global Moderator
Yes, thanks for that...I guess I'll just have to remember to change my phone settings. I was just hoping I could find a plug or cable that would not over load the circuit that is provided. I've thought about wiring a new circuit but I think it would be prudent to include a volt meter in the wiring I if I go that route. That way you could monitor your power usage so you would not draw too much current by pluging in too many devices. 

You can always run a separate fused line off the battery, depending on the kit ive seen up to 7A available at the ports. The stock accessory port is meant for gps/ small aux lights. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived