The MT-07 Forum

Damper rod bolt issue

5tonfan

Does anyone know the size bolt for the damper rod. Had to take my forks to a shop for them to get the lower bolt out. Problem now is the bolt threads are torn up. Yamaha part is 3D8-23181-00-00 but will take a week to get it. just want to get this done. Appreciate any help.

Fork damper rod bolt is M10 x 30-35mm? length is not noted in service manual, measure your removed bolt.
I just inserted Matris cartridge's last week (do not buy) and his bolt is a PITA to remove, I also thought threads were damaged, but was only the thread lock and cleaned up well with a wire wheel. FYI- Unfortnetlly not the method I use. Believe the best bolt removal method is using rachet compression strap and compression shock, then use 8mm allen socket in impact gun to remove.

I cut off an old allen key to reach up in there - and yeah, what a royal pita to remove. Not sure it can be done w/o some form of impacter.

Does the service manual say anything about thread pitch? Trying to install the JBH cartridge. Getting them out was a PIA, think even the damper is messed up now.

Unfortunately the service manual has no spec for pitch.
Looked like fine threads, not sure of metric thread pitch scale, threads per 10mm?

Archived