The MT-07 Forum

My Fz07 wont start after I Installed M4 slip on exhaust

ecentric

So I just installed a new M4 slipon exhaust and my bike wont start. It turns over, but wont fire. I started it up once for the beginning of the season earlier in the week, but now it wont start. Any thoughts or suggestions where to start?

Do you think the O2 sensor could have anything to do with this?

Thanks for the help

How long did you let it run - long enough to get fully up to temp? If not, maybe you fouled the plugs.

How old is the gasoline - did it sit the winter? If it sat all winter and sat w/o some kind of stabilizer, you can try dumping it and replacing with new. The dang ethanol in our gasoline will tend to absorb water from the air. Eventually, that water can settle out - to the bottom of the tank.

Open the gas cap - if you hear air rushing in, a vent is plugged.

Did you mess with the O2 sensor - if not, don't see why it would all of a sudden be an issue.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime?

Check all fuses - especially FI/fuel pump related.

Put the OE exhaust back on and see if that fixes it - a slip-on can alone shouldn't cause it not to start - but maybe it's plugged up somehow.

When I did start it last week, I didn't let it get up to temperature. The gas was topped up prior to winterizing and I did a stabilizer. The O2 sensor was a bit of a bugger to get re-installed. That thought did cross my mind. Can the O2 sensor cause this kind of problem? The fuel pump does prime. I can't put the OE exhaust back on because I had to cut the headers to accommodate the new slipon.

I'll check the fuzes, but I'm not sure how to check the plugs.

I was so stoked for this new pipe. argh.

If the O2 sensor is damaged, I would think you would have an error code. Even still most of these FI systems have some form of "limp home" mode in the map. Don't think that would cause it to not start.

Only way to check the plugs is to remove them.

I lived in Colorado for a couple years a long while ago. I pushed my car out of the garage to give it a bath but had to start it to get it back in the garage. A few hours later i had a heck of a time getting a normally easy to start car running.

Have you tried cracking the throttle open just a bit while cranking. if it starts to sputter alive, open some more

I don't think it's the O2 sensor. It would run "differently" with it malfunctioning, but it shouldn't affect the ability to start.

My guess is change the gas out and/or the plugs are fouled. Might consider blasting a starting fluid in there while cranking, and then run it for a long ride to get that fuel out of there and get some clean stuff in.

Don't think it's related to the pipes unless you inadvertently unplugged something.

Good luck.

• Premium Member

Make sure bike is in neutral, check all safety connections such as kick stand, clutch, etc...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

pineappleunderthesea

Long shot, but I wonder if your battery is weak. Sure, it turns over, but maybe it's not strong enough to spark properly? You could put it on a battery tender overnight, or try to push-start the bike.

Or maybe there's a family of mice living in your air filter!

• Premium Member

It wouldnt be the O2 sensor as a lot of us have had it disconnected when using the ejk etc. Bad fuel would be my guess.

Pet it lovingly and whisper sweet nothings in its pipe. Sorry, on top of what everyone else has suggested its all I got.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Good news. I did open the tank, not sure that helped. But I turned it over and kept at it for a bit and eventually turned over and got it going and seems fine now. I wonder if starting it for the first time this year earlier in the week and not allowing it to warm up, had anything to do with the issues I experienced.

Either way, that new M4 exhaust is LOUD. I need ear plugs now. :)

Thanks for all the advice and input.

Good news. I did open the tank, not sure that helped. But I turned it over and kept at it for a bit and eventually turned over and got it going and seems fine now. I wonder if starting it for the first time this year earlier in the week and not allowing it to warm up, had anything to do with the issues I experienced. 

Good to hear! Maybe you had it filled too high and it couldn't vent? 

The FI throws more fuel into the cylinders when the motor is cold - that's normal. By not getting the motor good and hot that one time, the plugs probably had some soot on them that would normally get cooked off after a good run. Combine that with old fuel that's lost some volatiles after sitting some months, and ya got a motor that's now reluctant to start.  
BTW, I don't bother starting either of my bikes for the entire winter - they sit in an unheated garage with a full tank and clean oil. Come spring, they both fire right up and i go for a ride 

Anyway - good news - put the ear plugs in a go burn off that stale, old fuel. 

Archived