The MT-07 Forum

Weird whine / hum under acceleration. Is it normal?

contra

Alright, so under light acceleration my bike makes this weird whine/hum sound. The way I would describe it is kind of like an electric motor under load, kinda like the sound those tiny battery powered jeeps that I had as a kid made. Im not sure if I would be able to get a high enough quality video to pick up the sound due to my exhaust being quite loud (akra carbon without the baffle) so I hope this description is sufficient. My thoughts are it might be the fuel pump making noise, but I'm pretty new to the bike world so I'm not sure if thats a thing. The noise might have been there since I bought the bike, but I only recently noticed it.

The noise only happens under light acceleration / when maintaining speed in the lower RPMs (maybe the higher RPMs, but the exhaust might be drowning it out because I can't hear it over ~6k rpm).

Any ideas? The only engine related mod on the bike is the exhaust.

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

Its the 'flux capacitor' man. Sorry, someone was probably gonna to write it.

I havent noticed anything like the noise you describe, I also have no other FZ around to compare it to. Could be there on mine as well I dunno. I could only assume its normal operation. Charging system or fuel injectors etc?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I havent noticed anything like the noise you describe, I also have no other FZ around to compare it to. Could be there on mine as well I dunno. I could only assume its normal operation. Charging system or fuel injectors etc?
Yeah I figured it might be a normal thing, so I wanted to post here before I took it to a shop to have it looked at. It just bugs me because I cant "un-notice" it, you know? Like everytime I ride the bike its all I can hear lol

Sounds like the chain and front sprocket to me.
Normal noise, and even more so if you use an aftermarket front sprocket without the noise-deadening rubber dampers on it.

• Premium Member
Yeah I figured it might be a normal thing, so I wanted to post here before I took it to a shop to have it looked at. It just bugs me because I cant "un-notice" it, you know? Like everytime I ride the bike its all I can hear lol
Yeah damn, dont take it to a shop....they'll be sure to "find" something wrong with it and quite possibly take your money for nothing. Obviously I have an inherent distrust of most mechanics. Just my 2c 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Yeah damn, dont take it to a shop....they'll be sure to "find" something wrong with it and quite possibly take your money for nothing. Obviously I have an inherent distrust of most mechanics. Just my 2c
Yeah I 100% agree with this. I do all the work on my cars, and all the work on my bike so far. I've only been riding about 2 months, so I'm not used to all the normal operating sounds of a motorcycle quite yet. I just wanted to be sure that the bike didnt have something weird going on. I'l just stay in the upper RPMs so the noise isnt noticeable  :D

Archived