The MT-07 Forum

Overheating at idle?

jbone

Busted the bike out for the first real time this season. I let it run for about 15 - 20 minutes outside while I checked tire pressure and got my ride gear on. Then...bike turned off. I quickly checked the cluster and saw no service or warning lights on. Checked the coolant temp at 224. Then the fan kicked on for about 3 mins. It was only about 73 degrees (f) out and it was in the shade. I was a little shocked to see it slide to 224 so quick. Coolant reservoir was at appropriate level.

Is this a common thing or nah?

• Premium Member

I had the same thing happen while tinkering for about the same amount of time, followed by a similar WTF? moment as you. Ive read here its just a safety feature to prevent overheating. Alls well and good.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I had the same thing happen while tinkering for about the same amount of time, followed by a similar WTF? moment as you. Ive read here its just a safety feature to prevent overheating. Alls well and good.
Good to hear. I've heard these tend to run a bit toasty but I never had that happen before. Thanks! 

You are correct. Service manual confirms if the bike idles for 15 to 20 minutes it automatically shuts off. 

You are correct. Service manual confirms if the bike idles for 15 to 20 minutes it automatically shuts off.
Now I just feel dumb... B-|

• Premium Member

ECU reflash or a DIY flash kit will allow you to set the fan to turn on earlier...its already done with a 2wdw flash

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Do you guys ever let your cars just sit and idle for 20 mins - on purpose? I'm really confused by this.

If the bike was air cooled, it would really not be happy.

Even though these motors are small, their cooling systems are even smaller.

Cut the thing a break - let it warm up no longer than it takes for the "Lo" warning to go away and then ride it easy until it's near operating temp. Letting it idle and idle and idle won't do the motor any good and just wastes fuel.

Must admit I did wonder why anyone would let it idle for more than 30 secs
ride gently till it gets up to temp.
They tend to run hotter when new but get better as they get some miles on them.

Do you guys ever let your cars just sit and idle for 20 mins - on purpose? I'm really confused by this.  

Cut the thing a break - let it warm up no longer than it takes for the "Lo" warning to go away and then ride it easy until it's near operating temp. Letting it idle and idle and idle won't do the motor any good and just wastes fuel.

To answer your first question (which I'm almost certain is rhetorical), yes I do. I let my cars warm up in the winter for 15-20 mins and in the summer they run about 10-15mins with the A/C on during hot days. Been doing it for years and never had an issue with overheating or running rough.

Being that the FZ is liquid cooled, I was just surprised that 15-20 minutes was its max before shutdown. It isn't that long and it could easily reach that threshold in slow rush hour traffic situations. Not to mention this was the first time it had been started in 6 months. 

Sitting still for too long or barely moving for too long the bike will start to over heat. I had a liquid cooled bike back in 85' and learned that even riding at low speeds for too long would put the engine temp in the red. To combat it I either had to get the bike out onto some open road where the wind can help to cool it off or wait for the fan to kick on. I haven't had one shut off while idling or other but I'm sure it did what it was designed to do and save your engine from catastrophe.

Next time this time of year just fire the bike up and ride slowly instead of letting it idle like that. It won't hurt the engine, just go easy on it. I've heard from mechanics that it's better to warm an engine up by driving it for the added benefit of getting oil to the top of the engine faster from gears turning faster.  ;)  Stay frosty!

Beemer

When it gets to 240f the display will show HI and a light will come on
but the fan should have come on and dragged it down before that.

In traffic, even with 2 radiators and 2 fans, my Aprilia will get hot to the point that the alloy frame is too hot to touch - thankfully, you have to go out of your way to make contact. Eventually, everything under the fairing gets smoking hot as the temp will climb into and thru the 130s. Can't remember where the gauge recommends shutting it down - think it's up near 140. Out of the traffic jamb, it'll take a couple miles of clean air for the coolant temp to go back into the low 170s. Had this bike since 2003 and only turned it off 1 time while stuck waiting for a 10k running race to go by.

When I check TB sync, I'll start with the bike up to temp (by riding) and then always have a fan in front of the bike.

• Premium Member

To answer your first question (which I'm almost certain is rhetorical), yes I do. I let my cars warm up in the winter for 15-20 mins and in the summer they run about 10-15mins with the A/C on during hot days. Been doing it for years and never had an issue with overheating or running rough. 
Being that the FZ is liquid cooled, I was just surprised that 15-20 minutes was its max before shutdown. It isn't that long and it could easily reach that threshold in slow rush hour traffic situations. Not to mention this was the first time it had been started in 6 months. 

I think your reason for cutoff is not thermal overload, but an electronic safety interlock. With the bike in gear, it most likely overrides the interlock.

I have had the displeasure of sitting in 3 to 4 hours worth of touch and go traffic in the dead of 95 degree summer. I reached my limits before the bike did.

Everything went braap.

It's obviously one of those things that I haven't done before and once it happened, it had me interested. I was more or less trying to be cautious since I just pulled it from storage and figured allowing it to run while double checking my tire pressure and getting my gear on wouldn't cause issues. Lesson learned. Thanks for the replies.

Archived