The MT-07 Forum

First friend to pass

mjdavis1994

mjdavis1994

Well it's one of those things you hear about a lot and truly hope it never hits close to home. I got on my FB to check on some friends back home and a guy I used to hang out with before the army, through middle and high school, had a vehicle pull out in front of him killing him instantly. He was a great guy, father, and was engaged. Was hard working and always helped everyone. Goes to show no matter how good of a person you are, it doesn't matter. Not to strangers at least. They'll pull out with no regards to anyone safety. All they're worried about is getting from point a to b as quickly as possible and screw anybody else. Ride safe and be attentive guys/gals. Cagers don't typically look twice for motorcycles. Assuming is usually a bad thing but always assuming every vehicle on the road can't see you or doesn't care is the best way to ride. I know it has saved me many times already.

• Premium Member

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this, but it is what life entails. I start my 8th decade a little later this year and I've seen way too many go in many, many ways. Unfortunately, or not... this part of living never gets any easier. Just the more reason to value, love, and enjoy them while we can. Eventually, we all go the same way.

Im very sorry for your loss. I lost a friend last Friday. I've lost a brother and many friends to motorcycle accidents. Each one still stings, but it's the risk that we all take when we lift that kickstand up.

RIP to your friend. Let me know if you need anything. I mean this.

• Premium Member

My utmost condolences. Its an invaluable reminder to pay greater attention when behind the wheel.
I always try to ride as you recommend, by trusting no one. The "little policeman" on my shoulder will be working double-time when my wife is riding and learning beside me.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

So sorry for your loss... If you need anything, let us know.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Sorry, buddy.
We all take a little bit of risk when we ride but we should always minimize it as much as possible.

mjdavis1994

Kinda opened my eyes, I mean I always rode defensively (thus far) but it was one of those things you hear about but think it'll never happen to someone you know. Thanks for the support though guys much appreciated.

Thank you. I will not be riding for a good amount of time. No more trip for me. I have a 3 year old boy and family is always first. What if my wife was the one that got the call...

Thank you. I will not be riding for a good amount of time. No more trip for me. I have a 3 year old boy and family is always first. What if my wife was the one that got the call...

Time to get that dirtbike my friend. They are truly more fun anyways, can wheelie all day and there are no cops.

When you start feeling scared, its time to take a break from street riding. Fear causes over caution and delay and that is dangerous.

Here is the most fun bike I have ever owned. And I just bought my 4 year old a used kx-65 and am having a blast teaching her to ride in 2nd gear, just like when my dad taught me when I was 5 years old. Those memories are priceless and especially when they get a little older and can ride easy trails with you.

Dont have to give up riding, just accept that with todays cagers, sometimes the risk is not worth the small reward that stret bikes give you. First time you take a small jump on a dirtbike, you will forget about street bikes for a while and street riding will sound boring.

IMG_3631.jpg

• Premium Member

"What if my wife was the one that got the call..." I hear ya, but life IS a risky endeavor. Caution is warranted, of course... but we cannot stop "risking" or we'd already be dead. Ride, or whatever, you (collectively) enjoy. Just do so as smartly as possible and get on with living. No one I've lost would want it any other way; believe me.

glockpointer

sorry to hear all this, I lost three friends in 15mos from motorbikes, checked my speed since then but only bought MORE bikes

You both have my condolences.

w1ngzer0 Don't let go of the bike just yet. Time has a way of healing all wounds and you may wake up some sunny morning feeling like taking a ride. God bless you both.  

Beemer

firstyammerha

My condolences to everyone who has lost a friend or loved on a bike. I remember my first experience with someone who was involved in a bike accident many years ago. It was an older teenager living across the street who lost a leg because a truck came out of an alley and t-boned him and his Triumph one day. He lost his leg and was fitted with a replacement wooden one. He quit riding but he was always game to play football in the vacant lot next to his house. You quickly learned which leg to tackle!

First and most, my sincere condolences to those who have lost a friend or a family member.

Life is unfortunately a lot about luck. Or lack of it. To some extent, we can make our own luck. But a distracted driver will not magically have his car swerve around a pedestrian just because she was the mother of 4 or because he had good cholesterol. Also, if we try to erase all danger from our lives, many of us will feel cheated. Because for the majority, it will be OK in the end. And to then refuse to enjoy the activities or the food etc. you love - at least in moderation - will likely reduce the quality of your life. It is up to each individual to find their own way in life, of course, but I think it is best not to worry too much about everything that can go wrong and instead enjoy what goes well.

I've lost friends to drugs, illness, parachutes, and bullets, but strangely enough, never bikes. I'm sure the day will come though, I've yet to even hit 30.

There isn't really much anyone can say to make things better. Just remember-good men only really die when we stop speaking their names. Sorry for your loss, man.

***UPDATE***
1. Target Fixation
2. Speeding (probably no less than 60mph in a 35mph zone)
3. Inexperience (just started riding in August 2016)
I'm still so upset since he's gone...

Archived