The MT-07 Forum

Paint options

Vito22

Hello All,
Looking at options for paint the silver part of my bike, the silver plastic panels around the gas tank. I want to go black. Was thinking plasti dip, paint, or wrap. Any thoughts?

Just off the top I would say any of them will do but all are temporary. A powder coated paint would probably last longest.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

You can purchase the FZ-07 Raven color tank panels for around $150 + shipping. I replaced the red panels on my 2015 FZ-07 for the white tank panels, since I liked the black frame on the red bike. There are 2 foam damper pieces inside each side panel, you can purchase new ones or reuse the ones inside your current panels. These damper pieces are used to prevent the panels from rattling against the frame. You can sell your original panels to recoup some of the cost. Here are some online Yamaha parts sellers used by members, just check parts plus shipping cost together:

www.yamahapartshouse.com
www.partsfish.com
www.yoracing.com

when navigating the websites select the following to get to the raven panels:
select year 2016 (Raven offered this year in USA)
select FZ07 (FZ07GB) not a California state purchased bike
or
select FZ07 (FZ07GCB) California State purchased bike - emission modifications applied
select Fuel Tank 2 for parts list
Note: I believe SMX is the Raven color code used in parts description, but verify before purchase. Even though you may have selected the Raven colored FZ-07, the parts list may still list the other colors for the tank panels, so make sure you select correct part and color.
select cover side 1 UR for SMX (Raven colored left side tank panel)
select cover side 2 UR for SMX (Raven colored right side tank panel)
select cover top UR for SMX (Raven colored center tank panel piece)

• Premium Member

+1 what @easternkayaker said

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Thanks for the info. Has anyone tried painting the panels? Saw a video of a guy using ColorRite on his Susuki but the website specifies that it isn't for that particular part.

Just looking at all options and considering painting the tank Blurple.

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the info. Has anyone tried painting the panels? Saw a video of a guy using ColorRite on his Susuki but the website specifies that it isn't for that particular part.  
Just looking at all options and considering painting the tank Blurple.
i had mine professionally painted, but i was an employee and friends with the painter. would probably run you $200 for primer and paint, then another $100-200 for labor to actually spray and finish it.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Obviously, it's costly to have someone else paint it so if you have to have it painted to save money why not watch a few you tube videos on how to paint. It's not hard to do, you just have to be careful and watch what you're doing (light/even coats). You can clear coat it afterwards to protect it a bit. If you screw it up you can always wet sand it all down and try again. I ordered my belly pan plain (black plastic) and painted it flat black with a $5 spray can. It looks decent. That plastic panel you're talking about would be a piece of cake to paint. Plus, you get that bonus feeling of pride when you get the compliments. ;)

$5

[video src=https://youtu.be/AXxD8Y1cW0w]  Watch this and tell me it looks hard to do. More ppl. should try this.

Beemer

Archived