The MT-07 Forum

Helmet issue

fzinla

Hello guys and gals, I am a noob, been riding for about a year. The FZ is my second bike and I love it.When I go above 80 mph, my helmet starts wobbling around. Not to the point of coming off or block my vision or anything like that but it wobbles enough to be a major annoyance.Even after tightening the chin strap I still have the same issue. The helmet that I have has a system where I can pump air into it to make it tighter (sort of like the Reebok Pump from back in the 90s) and even after tightening the helmet to the point of discomfort, it still does the same thing and just as bad.Is it a helmet issue? the one I have is pretty cheap. It does exceed DOT standards but I bought it when I was not sure I was going to stick with riding. Is it my head? I hope not because there isn't much I can do to fix that potentially weirdly shaped thing.Is it a combination of both? Helmet does not fit the shape of my head? I did some research before I bought it and this helmet seemed to fit my head shape the best. Then again I only spent about 5 minutes trying helmets on before I bought the one I have.
Please let me know your thoughts because I really want to get rid of this annoyance without having to mount a wind screen. If mounting a wind screen is the only option then I would most likely just deal with this issue as I love the bike the way it is.
Thank you all.

• Premium Member

Some options:
1. The helmet may not be as aerodynamic as other helmets so it doesn't handle high speed wind as well.
2. The helmet may also not fit your head well if it comes off when you have it tightened on with the strap. Go window shopping and try on more helmets but watch some videos on YouTube first of what you should be checking for to find a perfect helmet fit. EDIT: added a video

Also, different helmets are made for different head shapes. So try some that are narrow and try some that are wide. See what works best for your weird shaped head. :D

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

All to common issue, finding a helmet that fits properly, most of us have had a helmet fit issue. I recommend you go to Revzilla's website and click on helmets. On the left hand side near the bottom of the helmets web page, look for the "motorcycle helmets 101" link. This article has some great info about selecting helmets. 

ducttapewd40

I'm betting the Revzilla info mentions it but just in case... Remember when trying on a new helmet that the padding will break in a bit over time. It should feel just a little too tight when trying on a brand new helmet.

Is just the helmet moving or is your head bobbling as well? If the helmet is moving independently of your head, I would say it doesn't fit. Being that you can tighten it and it still moves, your head doesn't seem to fit the shape of the lid. If that's the case I would find another helmet that fits. It can be tedious trying them all on until you find one but once you do, it'll change your life.

bigdaddybane

A long time ago, I had a same issue with one of my helmets ... basically it was 2 sizes bigger.

As others said make sure it fits. When new, it should be very snug. Not to the point of discomfort so to speak, but it should definitely feel a bit tight without having excessive pressure points or pains etc. That way when broken in, it'll fit like a glove.

Quick check shake your head in a repeating "no" motion, if you feel it shift around, it's too big. 

It shouldn't wobble around like that, it's suppose to fit snug in all the right places to prevent that. Can you take it back? You should. Give the new one a good head shake test.

Beemer

Is just the helmet moving or is your head bobbling as well? If the helmet is moving independently of your head, I would say it doesn't fit. Being that you can tighten it and it still moves, your head doesn't seem to fit the shape of the lid. If that's the case I would find another helmet that fits. It can be tedious trying them all on until you find one but once you do, it'll change your life.
Not as bad. When I am sitting upright is when I notice it the most. 

Not as bad. When I am sitting upright is when I notice it the most.
It does not wobble when I do the head check. It only wobbles when I am going 80+ mph.  

• Premium Member

Sounds like you have the right size, but not the right shape for your head.

I had this happen recently with an Arai Signet-X. The helmet fit well, but at higher speeds it would lift. This was because I am on oval/intermediate oval and the Signet-X is a long-oval.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

Your helmet is not the right size or its the wrong shape. Go to a brick and mortar motorcycle gear store and get professionally fitted for a helmet. I always do this when i need a new helmet. You won't regret it.

• Premium Member

Clearly, the wrong helmet for your head shape/size, or both.

Archived