The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha Cowl

brokenhat

Hi, so 500kms on my new bike and I'm afraid I'm a pussy and need some wind protection for my chest. Does the Yamaha cowl do anything at all, it looks so small? My dealer has a Givi on the way, small one I think, maybe that being a bit bigger will do the trick? Any advice would be appreciated?

• Premium Member
Hi, so 500kms on my new bike and I'm afraid I'm a wuss and need some wind protection for my chest. Does the Yamaha cowl do anything at all, it looks so small? My dealer has a Givi on the way, small one I think, maybe that being a bit bigger will do the trick? Any advice would be appreciated?
A link would help us know what you're looking at.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Ah right... the Yamaha one IMO isnt going to help out very much, although I haven tried it out its pretty small and man, its got that ridiculous Yamaha price tag too. I didnt do a lot of highway driving so I bought the Rizoma and it was more of a very expensive aesthetic screen than it was functional. I personally wouldnt go with the Yamaha if youre looking for an effective screen, and obviously not the Rizoma either.
https://www.motovationusa.com/rizoma-headlight-fairing-windscreen-yamaha-fz09-fz07-zyf020b.html

Another member pointed out this cheapie screen from aliexpress. FWIW according to the sellers description its only PVC if that matters to you, youre not going to battle or speeding through flocks of birds or meteors with it after all; who knows...its china. I always shy away from the cheap chinese stuff but after seeing it mounted and after a OEM matching spray bomb job it really looks good with the lines of the bike. Its slightly similar to the Rizoma but is twice the size.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-YAMAHA-MT07-MT-07-Motorcycle-Windshield-Windscreen-Spirit-Wind-Deflectors-MT-07-Screen-Protector-2014/32770396064.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.31.B6OZNS

The givi would be my next go-to for windscreen, again havent tried it. Ive seen a lot of members with this one so hopefully they'll offer some useful info.  Looks functional and better still, actually looks good which I cant say for most screens for our bike.

My 2c.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator

I have the Yamaha front cowl. It does not make a noticeable difference in the wind. I bought it for looks and to keep the bugs out of the nooks and crannies behind the instrument panel.

• Premium Member

I had one on for a year or so and it does nothing, imho, as is the case for most "cosmetic" wind devices. There is another current thread here that discusses this at some length.

I would have left on the Yami since I didn't care that much about wind protection, but I wanted something a little taller to keep bugs and crappola off the back of the "dash" panel.

20170412_150831.jpg

I went with the eBay givi knock off for $40. Looks excellent,  nice quality. Save your money IMHO 

hugson2wheels

For me it helps in the tucked position for sure. Any other riding position it offers very minimal wind protection and only in the torso area. It's definitely better than nothing.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

I had the Givi from previous owner, loved the looks but got battered above 70 MPH (riding without it was even worse). Happier now with the Puig touring. Doesn't look great but tolerable and bursts to 85 MPH for passing don't require hanging on for dear life.  I'm 5'6" BTW.

20170412_150831.jpg

I went with the eBay givi knock off for $40. Looks excellent,  nice quality. Save your money IMHO 

How does it work? How tall are you?

Works fine but I do find more airflow around my shoulders and helmet. I am 5'11". Does what I expected and I am happy with that. Have not done much highway riding just yet.

Works fine but I do find more airflow around my shoulders and helmet. I am 5'11". Does what I expected and I am happy with that. Have not done much highway riding just yet.
Report back once you have experienced the freeway with that screen.  I am curious to know the difference from stock up to 70-75 mph.

I had the small Yamaha cowl installed but it was more for looks than anything else. I could barely tell any difference between it and the stock cowl so for blocking wind & bugs, etc it blows. I would mention what screen I replaced that with but it seems everyone is a Givi head. Apparently, they make good windscreens.

Marsha_Marsha_marsha.jpg Givi, Givi, Givi! :D

Beemer

I have used the Yamaha cowl, the Puig Naked sport screen and the MRA Double Bubble Racing Screen.
The Yamaha cowl does the least (obviously) but follows the lines of the bike best. I'm 6'1 & it may make a small difference up to 35mph, but not any that I could tell after that.
The Puig does a decent job up to about 65 or 70mph, then the wind starts to buffet my helmet, shoulders and upper arms - the faster you go the worse it gets.
The MRA is the best imo. It looks pretty good and really works well at higher speeds. I've had it up around 120mph indicated and it stays fairly smooth.
I imagine the Givi would be similar to the MRA.

More head buffeting at highway speeds so unless you increase the shield height and angle you won't get any relief. You really need a windshield like the Honda CB500X for some highway cruising comfort.

Report back once you have experienced the freeway with that screen.  I am curious to know the difference from stock up to 70-75 mph.

So that's more head buffeting on the freeway with the screen then without (stock)?  What speed does it become noticeable?  Is the head buffeting worse than the human parachute feeling above 65 mph without a screen?

More head buffeting at highway speeds so unless you increase the shield height and angle you won't get any relief. You really need a windshield like the Honda CB500X for some highway cruising comfort.

I don't have any new info to contribute, but when I was searching before I bought mine I found a definite lack of quality pictures of the cowl installed so here's one of my bike. I think it really cleans the look of the bike up for sure.
mvg9u5X.jpg

I think it looks fantastic but really can't do much on the highway.

I don't have any new info to contribute, but when I was searching before I bought mine I found a definite lack of quality pictures of the cowl installed so here's one of my bike. I think it really cleans the look of the bike up for sure. mvg9u5X.jpg

Man. I really like that yamaha cowl! Could I ask for a pic of you on the bike looking down into the cowl? Just seeing if there's enough space to put the gauge in there some how.

Man. I really like that yamaha cowl! Could I ask for a pic of you on the bike looking down into the cowl? Just seeing if there's enough space to put the gauge in there some how.
I'll get that done tomorrow!

@cafefighter IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

Thank you! Looks really good. But i think my gauge idea is not going to work. Blocking the ignition. I think this is the best looking screen so far.

Archived