The MT-07 Forum

catalytic converter removal (is it legal\\is it enforced)???

river

First off, hello FZ-07 world. I'm new. Glad to be here.

After doing some minor research on emission standards. keep in mind, I don't live in California.

Basically I found that, "...it is illegal to tamper with the motorcycle in any way that makes it non-compliant with emissions standards".
That is a quote from http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2007/02/article/motorcycle-emissions-regs-examined/ that paraphrases the Clean Air Act.

The reason I am posting is that I want to put an akra carbon on my ride, and it does not allow a catalytic converter.

Am I right in assuming that that is technically tampering and it is illegal?

If so, is it regularly enforced?

Elvishpresley

Look at and listen to ANY Hardly Ableson ride by then ask that again. 

Truth is it depends on where you live really. We have that same regulation in OK and I ride with a Full Yoshi (DB Killer removed) It's never been a problem for me.

I've never heard of these laws actually being enforced when it comes to motorcycles. Some states are a little more strict on cars.

• Premium Member

All depends on the State in which you live... and, even then it can depend on where you take it for inspection in some states. Best of luck!

• Premium Member

1. Yes. It is street illegal. Any after market without a catalytic converter will be illegal unless you're purchasing it just for track purposes.

2. Enforced? Just depends on your luck. Most of the time, it isn't an issue for most. But there's no promise that you could get a ticket for it.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Maybe you should reword the question to something like, "How many people have actually gotten a ticket for having an aftermarket exhaust?"

I bet you the answer is zero.

1. Yes. It is street illegal. Any after market without a catalytic converter will be illegal unless you're purchasing it just for track purposes.  
2. Enforced? Just depends on your luck. Most of the time, it isn't an issue for most. But there's no promise that you could get a ticket for it.

But in California you could be tar and feathered with pink and purple feathers and forced to trade your bike in for a Grom.

Unless you live in a state that is anal on emissions, I very highly doubt any law enforcement will take the time to enforce anything like that. And if they did, it's most likely a fix it ticket anyway. Do your thing.

It all depends on the wording and your character. E.G. Florida Law says it has to remain the same as the original manufacturers specifications. I say I don't give a sh*t. It's that easy. I put my Akra racing pipe on anyway. Why such flagrancy for the law? About 80 of the bikes you see around here are loud-ass Hardley's and I don't see them getting pulled over for anything, other than being too slow and impeding traffic. (jk). 8-)

slow_harley.jpg

Beemer

• Premium Member
Maybe you should reword the question to something like, "How many people have actually gotten a ticket for having an aftermarket exhaust?"  

Watch rnickeymouse on YouTube. There are vids of cops near the snake handing out tickets for every modification. And I've heard of fellow riders who got caught speeding and were given fix it tickets for the exhaust too.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Watch rnickeymouse on YouTube. There are vids of cops near the snake handing out tickets for every modification. And I've heard of fellow riders who got caught speeding and were given fix it tickets for the exhaust too.
Yeah, but to be fair, that is a hot spot for bikes and crashes - AND it's Cali to boot. 

Archived